The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
And if the rear suspension moved at all you’d have some serious issues.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Embarrassing fake.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
No I don't think it is. It's just a mock up of how they would fit into the wheelarch and thus give an idea of what would need doing to actually run them ~ which we k ow is possible.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No I don't think it is. It's just a mock up of how they would fit into the wheelarch and thus give an idea of what would need doing to actually run them ~ which we k ow is possible.
I agree, if you run a line from the front wheel to the rear wheel you will see it looks like it is outside of the body by half a wheel width and in your top shot they have just pushed it under the guard more and the mudflap is bent around it.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Would the Grenadier really drive properly with 37" tyres?

I have never driven a car with such large tyres and so can't imagine what it would be like to drive around on usual roads.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would the Grenadier really drive properly with 37" tyres?

I have never driven a car with such large tyres and so can't imagine what it would be like to drive around on usual roads.
I have been a beachgoer most of my life and have had huge tyres which were so much fun on the sand but then had to drive home...the answer is not good but controllable, you have to allow for tyre roll and more breaking distance before all the other issues...regular rotation, balancing, alignment, nose, pressures...in the best of both worlds you would have daily ride tyres plus the 37" obviously on different rims...I am staying with what the Grenadier has trialed on 17" BFG A/T...happy motoring

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the Southafrica-Videos with the 35´´ tyres, I love the new Namibia-Videos from INEOS with the 35´´ tyres. But I also heard that it wasn´t easy to put them under the car...
Have you allready seen the Youtube-Video of a new Defender Oneten on 37´´ tyres - and the car is still rolling...!? Great show!

In Germany I´m sure we would get TÜV-problems with that - perhaps we can use up to 295-70-17 or 315-70-17. I will see.
My own Toyota HZJ75 once had 255-100-16 XCL ("9.0"), they were very bad to drive - now with 285-75-16 BF Goodrich AT it is perfect.

Driving with big tyres makes some things better, and others worse... sense oder nonsens - who matters? Go your way, an have fun!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the Southafrica-Videos with the 35´´ tyres, I love the new Namibia-Videos from INEOS with the 35´´ tyres. But I also heard that it wasn´t easy to put them under the car...
Have you allready seen the Youtube-Video of a new Defender Oneten on 37´´ tyres - and the car is still rolling...!? Great show!

In Germany I´m sure we would get TÜV-problems with that - perhaps we can use up to 295-70-17 or 315-70-17. I will see.
My own Toyota HZJ75 once had 255-100-16 XCL ("9.0"), they were very bad to drive - now with 285-75-16 BF Goodrich AT it is perfect.

Driving with big tyres makes some things better, and others worse... sense oder nonsens - who matters? Go your way, an have fun!
Go your way, and have fun! That sums it up but be careful...respect choice and happy motoring

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
There was a reference from an external post I saw a while back on the wheel arch covers of the Grenadiers running 35” tyres seen in the Namibia videos. The wheel arch covers were different from the ‘standard‘ vehicle and were wider to compensate.

I stumbled across an early 2022 post from someone who visited a Grenadier 2B prototype on display in South Africa, where a very good photo of a 35” wheel clad vehicle clearly shows this to be the case; the extended wheel arch covers look factory supplied. There is a visible flat area on top of the wheel arch covers that does not exist on the ‘standard‘ vehicle.

BF8C89F0-D849-45BF-88F5-0495C616EB9A.jpeg

CC906541-F16E-4B58-9AE8-9FEEB0C05800.jpeg

Last edited:

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a tyre obsessive, and whilst 35" rubber is probably too much for me, and I don't want to lift it; I'm guessing a slightly larger tyre will probably fit without modification/spacers etc.
Ineos Blank Canvas ........and all that

I understand in Aus that you can't just change tyre sizes without engineers certificates etc.

So OEM BFG's 17" tyres are 265/70/17
18" tyres are 255/70/18 Will they fit say 1.4% bigger - 5.7mm bigger all around.

I can't help but think 285/70/17 would look loads better will they fit 285 say 3.4% bigger - 14mm bigger all around either BFG KO2 or Cooper ST Maxx or others

Or even 295/70/17 Cooper ST MAXX 295/70/17 st maxx Professional Off-road Racing :p 5.0% bigger 21mm bigger all around will they fit 295

Or even 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX maybe too big without modding.

I've run these Coopers before; better off-road in mud than BFG KO2 AT in my opinion.

38579-2957017cstm-2957017q.jpg

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
I think BG KO2s 285/70/17 will look better than the 265/70/17, especially for a truck of this size. I had the BG KO2's 285/70/17 ("33 inch") on both my Bronco and Jeep Rubicon both of which were 2 doors. It's a good size without going full "35 inch" and worrying about lifting, rubbing, etc.

But I have not seen it in person yet so just speculating based on pictures.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think BG KO2s 285/70/17 will look better than the 265/70/17, especially for a truck of this size. I had the BG KO2's 285/70/17 ("33 inch") on both my Bronco and Jeep Rubicon both of which were 2 doors. It's a good size without going full "35 inch" and worrying about lifting, rubbing, etc.

But I have not seen it in person yet so just speculating based on pictures.
Hi, in another thread I posted some pics of 33 inch shown on a grenadier. Was some first try so nothing official yet. Aftermarket provider was confident such kind of wheels should be possible without too much of modifications.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think 33s are a perfect size for this truck, but I have no desire to modify things to make them fit. At least not now.

I would not be surprised, however, if IA offers a larger tire setup from the factory in certain markets. I can only speak about the East coast USA, but folks like big tires. 33s are stock on lots of Jeep and Bronco models as well as pickups from Ford and GM. On top of that, Ford and Jeep now offer 35s and on some models, 37s from the factory.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
I think 33s are a perfect size for this truck, but I have no desire to modify things to make them fit. At least not now.

I would not be surprised, however, if IA offers a larger tire setup from the factory in certain markets. I can only speak about the East coast USA, but folks like big tires. 33s are stock on lots of Jeep and Bronco models as well as pickups from Ford and GM. On top of that, Ford and Jeep now offer 35s and on some models, 37s from the factory.

I agree.

Here is a nice tire size comparison site:

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
so the oem 17" is a 31.6"
and the 285/70/17 is a 32.7"
and the 295/70/17 is a 33.3" but not available in the UK as a BFG KO2, just as a Cooper .

So I'm hoping one of the two larger sizes will fit without modding, and I'll sell the 265/70/17 on.

Local time
Reaction score
A lot of emphasis here on looks vs. performance. In the NE USA I had some scary results with extra wide tires on an old Suburban I used for fishing and hunting: coming down hill on an unplowed dirt road turned into a pure tobogganing exercise with no control over the path other that provided by the sides of the ruts. I went out and got a proper pair of snow tires that were appropriately narrow.

The LR IIA I bought used had super big, mongo tread mud tires on it, and on my first trip on the beach to go fishing, it immediately buried itself to the frame. Super aggressive tread and soft sand do not mix in my experience.

I remember an article in the 1970s about a Vermont Land Rover nut who would regularly challenge Jeeps to a hill climb race in the snow. They would flounder with their wide aggressive tread tires as he climbed ahead up the hill with narrow tires and chains, he would pull out the manual throttle control (remember them?) and step out, stand with crossed arms next to his old Rover that continued to climb by itself, and watch the struggling Jeeps below him, before walking back up to his Rover, climbing in and finishing the climb.

I do not have any experience in rock and mud scrambling, and I'm sure there are situations where super big tires are a must. But for the uses I have put my 4X4s to over the years on sand, dirt tracks, forests and highways, super wide and huge treads have not played well for me.

chriscroft

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think 285 or 295 are super wide?; I thought that was a general OEM in the US for lots of trucks?
The tyres are often slightly on the smaller OEM size in my experience for better official fuel figures etc.

Back
Top Bottom