The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Integrated Winch

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are two big compromises they have made in integrating this winch. The first is the rope length of 13m it’s pretty short. Will manage with extensions etc, but 20m would have been much better. And this, I like the option of a remote controller, but I also like a backup hard wired option. This handset is going to sit around for years and then one day you will need it and the batteries will be flat or worse have leaked and corroded inside it. Going to have to be diligent about checking and replacing regularly and having a spare set. All doable but we tend to be forgetful when we don’t use it regularly

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
There are two big compromises they have made in integrating this winch. The first is the rope length of 13m it’s pretty short. Will manage with extensions etc, but 20m would have been much better. And this, I like the option of a remote controller, but I also like a backup hard wired option. This handset is going to sit around for years and then one day you will need it and the batteries will be flat or worse have leaked and corroded inside it. Going to have to be diligent about checking and replacing regularly and having a spare set. All doable but we tend to be forgetful when we don’t use it regularly
Yep. Exactly.

Change batteries every birthday.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
This handset is going to sit around for years and then one day you will need it and the batteries will be flat or worse have leaked and corroded inside it.
Reverse one of the batteries (the fresh quality ones you have put in) until you need it.
And always carry spare batteries. Simples!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
isn't there a manual operation on the winch?

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Choosing a Warn Zeon winch would have solved both these issues. You can get these rated at 8,000 pounds, 10,000 pounds, 12,000 pounds, 16,000 pounds, and higher.

(1) Standard rope length is 80 feet (24 meters), and you can get either steel cable or synthetic line.

(2) There is a remote control for the winch, but it has a manual control that can be used without the remote (so no need to carry batteries and fiddle with that when you are stuck).

In addition, Warn winches are cheaper than Red Winch - but not because they are cheaply made. All Warn winches are made in America at their facility in Oregon, and it is well-known for outstanding quality control. The lower price is probably due to their higher volume of sales.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Choosing a Warn Zeon winch would have solved both these issues. You can get these rated at 8,000 pounds, 10,000 pounds, 12,000 pounds, 16,000 pounds, and higher.

(1) Standard rope length is 80 feet (24 meters), and you can get either steel cable or synthetic line.

(2) There is a remote control for the winch, but it has a manual control that can be used without the remote (so no need to carry batteries and fiddle with that when you are stuck).

In addition, Warn winches are cheaper than Red Winch - but not because they are cheaply made. All Warn winches are made in America at their facility in Oregon, and it is well-known for outstanding quality control. The lower price is probably due to their higher volume of sales.
It has to fit behind the bumper for pedestrian safety laws.
That pretty much limits suppliers and winch size or makes the bumper look even more like Ronald McDonalds shoe rack

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

It’s not the brand that’s the problem Red winches also have winches in many capacities and types and options. But Red Winches had to custom make a winch to fit in the bumper and meet all the global design rules that INEOS had to work with, any supplier would almost certainly have had to do the same. That definitely explains the rope length, there just wasn’t enough room. I think it should have been possible to design a remote plug point for a eited controller somewhere but all adds to the cost I guess.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It’s not the brand that’s the problem Red winches also have winches in many capacities and types and options. But Red Winches had to custom make a winch to fit in the bumper and meet all the global design rules that INEOS had to work with, any supplier would almost certainly have had to do the same. That definitely explains the rope length, there just wasn’t enough room. I think it should have been possible to design a remote plug point for a eited controller somewhere but all adds to the cost I guess.
I'm sure they would be happy for the USA, being the Wild West, to design whatever metal bar/winch combo they want. Which they will .
I'm very happy with what's on offer ex factory.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure they would be happy for the USA, being the Wild West, to design whatever metal bar/winch combo they want. Which they will .
I'm very happy with what's on offer ex factory.
No doubt many here will too when ARB inevitably produces a winch bar and then you can stick your big Warn on it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm guessing by manual control people are meaning a corded remote:
download.jpeg
It might be nice to have a plug & play option as a backup.

In addition, Warn winches are cheaper than Red Winch - but not because they are cheaply made.
Some things in the Warn winches are definitely value engineered. I don't think I've ever seen one go 12 months without the powder coating starting to flake off.

Red Winches are seemingly more expensive when measured against the run of the mill Warn winches, but in the UK a Warn ZEON 12-S Platinum Winch might cost me £3,364.74.

I know which brand I'd choose.

All Warn winches are made in America at their facility in Oregon,
Sadly, that doesn't seem to be true.

The Warn VR is made in China and all other Warn truck winches are assembled in the U.S. from globally sourced parts.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I just figured if it was engineered for and chosen by the military and police/rescue guys it would be rugged enough for the average Joe.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Integrated winch remote control, for your information, made in ... :eek: ;)
Looks indeed "cheap", I hope the electronics inside and buttons (waterproof?) are OK.
View attachment 7805069View attachment 7805070
I'm sure it will be more than fit for purpose but if you are looking to upgrade then I've always thought Lodar were pretty much the gold standard, and Red Winches seem to offer their kit as an upgrade:
Screenshot_20230305_073306.jpgScreenshot_20230305_073329.jpg

Back
Top Bottom