The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos provided hydraulic bottle jack

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi Jean, If using the bottle jack, I found this heavy duty attachment to place on top of the bottle jack in order to jack up the Grenadier from it's axles. It's called a "Bottle Jack Budy". There are 2 versions,
one for a smaller radius axle and one for a larger radius axle, which perhaps the Grenadier has.
This link is if for the one that would fit a larger radius axle, which may fit both axle sizes. Looks like something to add the the ever growing list of things to buy. DaBull
https://bottlejackbuddy.net/the-big-one-1
I happened to be laying under my vehicle when this post popped in so grabbed some pics and measurements.
The axle housing tube front and rear is 265mm circumference which is close enough to 84mm or 3 5/16 inches diameter.
Being a multilink and coil setup there's not much room outboard to put an adapter due to the various mounts. There is no clear axle tube until about 450mm/18 inches in from the wheel. Still enough to raise a wheel but it puts you a fair way under the vehicle to operate the jack.
I probably wouldn't buy an adapter ahead of getting your vehicle. Then I would spend some time underneath looking for a spot you could use it at all four corners where it won't get hung up on the brackets.
A recycled leaf spring saddle will get you a long way towards a solution. Just needs a short sleeve welded on the back to sit over the jack.

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_234915560.jpg
    PXL_20231028_234915560.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20231028_234349671.jpg
    PXL_20231028_234349671.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20231028_234821100.jpg
    PXL_20231028_234821100.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: PBD

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
If careful, you can lift one wheel from the torsion bar mount or the shock mount. Both seem to be welded to the axle tube.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
I happened to be laying under my vehicle when this post popped in so grabbed some pics and measurements.
The axle housing tube front and rear is 265mm circumference which is close enough to 84mm or 3 5/16 inches diameter.
Being a multilink and coil setup there's not much room outboard to put an adapter due to the various mounts. There is no clear axle tube until about 450mm/18 inches in from the wheel. Still enough to raise a wheel but it puts you a fair way under the vehicle to operate the jack.
I probably wouldn't buy an adapter ahead of getting your vehicle. Then I would spend some time underneath looking for a spot you could use it at all four corners where it won't get hung up on the brackets.
A recycled leaf spring saddle will get you a long way towards a solution. Just needs a short sleeve welded on the back to sit over the jack.
HI Clark Kent, Thanks for the axle measurements. I will take your advice and wait to I get mine up on a lift to get a better idea for lifting points and what if any attachments I might want or have made for either the bottle jack or perhaps a scissor jack. DaBull

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Good morning and happy Sunday from Germany, does anyone have experience with the VEVOR scissor jack? It's quite heavy at 6.3 kg but perhaps an option in a suitcase as a backup when traveling? I don't know the company.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good morning and happy Sunday from Germany, does anyone have experience with the VEVOR scissor jack? It's quite heavy at 6.3 kg but perhaps an option in a suitcase as a backup when traveling? I don't know the company.
20231029_204032[1].jpg20231029_204325[1].jpg
The VEVOR looks very well made.
I bought 4 of these from Aldi when on special a few years ago ...each rated to 2000kg. I connect them all at once to a deep cycle lead acid battery and essentially have a 4 point lift. Works very well. (I always then put jack stands under the axles.....;))

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And if you paid a welder or machinist to fabricate exactly what you made, it would cost that much
I didn't. I just used the welder from our local locksmith and only wanted to show a simple DIY solution.

But I know DIY is not for everybody.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
Looks like that back left cavity could use a coat of bedliner spray for noise reduction.

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
Oh, indeed - forgot about that!

When the vehicle (eventually*) comes through and we spend a day practicing recoveries I'll bust out the ARB Jack and take a couple of pics/videos by way of comparison.

* presently MIA in terms of production/delivery status: the wait continues.
Is that the ARB Hydraulic jack - be great to see pictures and have your feedback. Anyone else considered the ARB hydraulic jack?

Hitchedprawn

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW part of the OG hydraulic jack (if not all) is being relpaced on vehicles being delivered.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that the ARB Hydraulic jack - be great to see pictures and have your feedback. Anyone else considered the ARB hydraulic jack?
Ah, hadn’t seen your reply @Gwynne. Our jack is presently loaded in a container for the next expedition, so no photos just now.

It’s an excellent quality, very nicely assembled unit and easy to operate. it’s of aluminium construction and weighs 16kg.
Somewhat more expensive and offers less uses (eg you can’t winch with it) than a mechanical high lift jack, but on the other hand is somewhat safer to operate.

We really don’t want an injury in the middle of nowhere and a conventional high lift jack takes a bit of knowledge and experience to operate safely, and perhaps I’m sensitised to this by past trapped fingers and near misses.

Jack plays nicely with the ARB lift base, and depending on circumstance would usually just lift from the rocksliders.
This is primarily for the purpose of vehicle recovery and/or the event of mechanical repairs.

If you’re just changing a wheel and the ground is suitable, there is no easier solution than the bottle jack lifting the axle directly.

My only annoyance is that there is no hole or aperture in the foot that can be used to secure accessories such as a Lift Mate.
You can still use a lift mate with it, it’s just that I’d prefer to use a retaining pin.

We carry ours mounted to the cargo barrier inside the vehicle, where it is relatively out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom