The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Has anyone added a towing hitch after?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:59 PM
Reaction score
I'm bit unsure why but my order doesn't have the towing hitch. I'm pretty shocked by that I must have accidentally not selected it when running other options. Anyone do the same and add one after the fact? I guess so long as the framing is there it's not that hard. Just wire a harness into the rear tail lights.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm bit unsure why but my order doesn't have the towing hitch. I'm pretty shocked by that I must have accidentally not selected it when running other options. Anyone do the same and add one after the fact? I guess so long as the framing is there it's not that hard. Just wire a harness into the rear tail lights.
I've not examined mine in detail. However there are other posts which seem to imply that the towbar receiver/hitch assembly was an assembly line only inclusion. I find this a bit disconcerting and short sighted if it's true.
Re. the electrics, it may be worthwhile reviewing the fuse layout in other posts to determine whether the trailer power supplies are separately fused rather than piggybacking off the tail lights.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I believe Buzz Overland have found a solution for aftermarket tow hitch. They are on this forum.

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
@FlyingTexan I swear I ordered the hitch and when my truck arrived ... no hitch. This is a show stopper for me as I need a hitch. I thought of adding an INEOS or aftermarket hitch but it looks like a major hassle; hitch hardware, added/change of the control module, springs and wiring. I haven't confirmed all of those but it makes sense (maybe somebody with a hitch in the UK could confirm if they had a chance to compare a wagon with and without). I cancelled my unit today.

FieldMonster

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My dealer added a towbar + wiring for me. It had been specced without by someone less sensible who ended up not taking it. Towbar was a must-have for me, and I’d heard the same that it had to be specced and couldn’t be added later but apparently that’s no longer true. (They said there’s a company that do a Jeep towbar wiring kit and it’s suitable. Didn’t catch the make I’m afraid.)

Local time
Reaction score
My dealer added a towbar + wiring for me. It had been specced without by someone less sensible who ended up not taking it. Towbar was a must-have for me, and I’d heard the same that it had to be specced and couldn’t be added later but apparently that’s no longer true. (They said there’s a company that do a Jeep towbar wiring kit and it’s suitable. Didn’t catch the make I’m afraid.)
I think your towbar is a great option. For me, if I'm spending 90k+ I can wait and reorder or pick up somebody else's cancelled order so that I get it the way I want. The $800 seems like a pretty decent price to for the hitch hardware, software update or new control module, springs and wiring.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think your towbar is a great option. For me, if I'm spending 90k+ I can wait and reorder or pick up somebody else's cancelled order so that I get it the way I want. The $800 seems like a pretty decent price to for the hitch hardware, software update or new control module, springs and wiring.
I don’t believe there’s new springs. That’s for the winch but not towbar

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought the same. Info was from the dealer when I inquired about adding the factory hitch as my first order came without.
Id hope not. Wouldn’t make much sense since it’s not weight you carry regularly.

Gibby

Donny Grey, White Roof, Red Frame, much more.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_4243.jpeg
I took this photo today on the rear bumper of one of the sold units at RDS today. Of the 12 units on the ground, non have tow hitches. RDS should start to receive tow hitch orders the week of the 18th.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't realize it had an integrated trailer brake

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7835402
I took this photo today on the rear bumper of one of the sold units at RDS today. Of the 12 units on the ground, non have tow hitches. RDS should start to receive tow hitch orders the week of the 18th.
You wouldn’t want to tow a trailer without correct 'breaking' functions. 🙂

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Id hope not. Wouldn’t make much sense since it’s not weight you carry regularly.
Apart from which the max "s" load is 150kg. Equivalent of 2 rear passengers or a boot space load, so you don't have different springs for passengers.

Local time
Reaction score
@junx i don’t believe it has a “integrated trailer brakes” or “brake controller”, just wiring.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't realize it had an integrated trailer brake
It doesn't have a built in brake controller, but one of the pins of the standard 7 pin trailer plug is for trailer brakes

striker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - forgot to order the tow package online during the pre order process and now need/want the tow package. If not that, then just the ability to add a 2" receiver for my Kuat rear bike mount. I found this one online, but looking at the angle of the plate I don't think it'll work. If anyone has a lead, would love to know. https://metaltech4x4.com/metal-tech...91JqIKjs19V5iIMUG0rdpcZ0IJKhAsC0aAs7aEALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom