The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Harry’s Farm and Garage. Why does Harry Metcalfe hate the Grenadier?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Actually it was a banana chopped into an instant porridge. But in a very nice inn, the Golden Fleece.

You do not want a full English (or Welsh) breakfast when you are horizontal and head down at 10 a.m. Starting at the top of that mountain.

View attachment 7814380
View attachment 7814381
Indeed, a breakfast that you will beat down the zipline. Looks like fun!

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
What makes my arguments invalid and irrelevant?
Again, I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about Harry Metcalfe & others of his ilk.

What makes this a “proper” 4x4 while others are SUVs?
No-one said anything about ‘others’ in general; again, this thread is about Harry Metcalfe’s reviews & in those he’s criticising the Grenadier for things that people look for in general road-focused SUVs not in proper 4x4s.

To me a proper 4x4 is a vehicle that’s made for off-road use first & foremost. I use the term ‘proper’ as this was the original reason for the inception of 4x4 functionality & I’m simply not aware of an actual classification term to define these specific types of vehicles now that 4x4 capability is found on others types of cars that are built for a different purpose (I certainly don’t use it to insinuate anything derogatory about those other vehicles though). There’s a number of valid reasons for wanting a modern 4x4 over a true off-roader so there is no judgement, it’s just that we do need to make the distinction somehow as there is a difference.

To me an SUV is a road car first & foremost, made for people who want the benefits of the size etc of these types of vehicles (& also perhaps the off-road styling) but have little-to-no actual off-road needs. Some SUVs (like the new Defender) also have a good amount of off-road capability but this is not their primary design purpose. There’s a reason that old Defender owners get so outraged about them - some people have a utilitarian need for a 4x4 & don’t want to be driving a Chelsea tractor. This is the very reason that Jim Ratcliffe started this here venture in the first place is it not?

It is also worth highlighting that I’m British & the term ‘SUV’ means a specific thing over here. I believe that you’re American & that over there you guys use ‘SUV’ as a catch-all for pretty much anything that has 4 wheel drive? American English & ‘proper’ English are also two different things (I couldn’t resist using the word ‘proper’ again - I hope I made you laugh there 🙂). Haha

& ‘purpose-built’ is not a marketing term - it’s a common phrase. The new Defender is also purpose-built (it's just a different purpose). I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here as well; perhaps you don’t have this phrase in American English?

Anyway, I’m going to bow out of this conversation now as it no longer feels productive. I’ve answered your questions as best I can & I hope that what I’ve said in regard to the actual topic of this thread has been of some help to those with a genuine interest in the Grenadier. I wish you all the best & hope you enjoy your vehicle of choice whatever that may be.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not attempting to disparage anyone’s likes or opinions. I see many on here acting as if by buying a Grenadier they are setting themselves apart from those who own other 4x4s. That the others are somehow “pretenders” and this product, which has barely even begun to ship, nevermind seen real use, is different. That, in and of itself, is disparaging.
But this product is different ~ it's the very difference that Harry talks about in his video. He says other manufacturers have moved on.

The Grenadier is a permanent 4x4. The first edition new Defenders were as well; but then they moved to the AWD system with clutches instead of differentials and axle disconnect systems. When it can, the new Defender runs in two wheel drive. This is a fundamentally different technology, designed for a different market.

JLR have made no bones about their product placement and spent many millions making and demonstrating it is different ~ is that all lost on you?

Local time
Reaction score
l think we've pretty much worked what customer base the new Defender is for. And likewise the Grenadier.

Personally l don't think either vehicle in base specification is particularly over priced for what they are.

Look at the price of the G Wagon and then tell me the Grenadier is over priced.

The argument that the Grenadier is "too expensive" is different, it would have been nice if the Utility version was £30,000.

But times have changed and even small hatchbacks like the Fiesta are £20,000

Look at it this way, if you can afford a Defender or Grenadier then you've clearly done well in life and should congratulate yourself lol

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
But this product is different ~ it's the very difference that Harry talks about in his video. He says other manufacturers have moved on.

The Grenadier is a permanent 4x4. The first edition new Defenders were as well; but then they moved to the AWD system with clutches instead of differentials and axle disconnect systems. When it can, the new Defender runs in two wheel drive. This is a fundamentally different technology, designed for a different market.

JLR have made no bones about their product placement and spent many millions making and demonstrating it is different ~ is that all lost on you?
I think this must be only a thing in euro models. In the US (and perhaps all petrols?) the Defender is full time 4x4.

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Again, I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about Harry Metcalfe & others of his ilk.

No-one said anything about ‘others’ in general; again, this thread is about Harry Metcalfe’s reviews & in those he’s criticising the Grenadier for things that people look for in general road-focused SUVs not in proper 4x4s.

To me a proper 4x4 is a vehicle that’s made for off-road use first & foremost. I use the term ‘proper’ as this was the original reason for the inception of 4x4 functionality & I’m simply not aware of an actual classification term to define these specific types of vehicles now that 4x4 capability is found on others types of cars that are built for a different purpose (I certainly don’t use it to insinuate anything derogatory about those other vehicles though). There’s a number of valid reasons for wanting a modern 4x4 over a true off-roader so there is no judgement, it’s just that we do need to make the distinction somehow as there is a difference.

To me an SUV is a road car first & foremost, made for people who want the benefits of the size etc of these types of vehicles (& also perhaps the off-road styling) but have little-to-no actual off-road needs. Some SUVs (like the new Defender) also have a good amount of off-road capability but this is not their primary design purpose. There’s a reason that old Defender owners get so outraged about them - some people have a utilitarian need for a 4x4 & don’t want to be driving a Chelsea tractor. This is the very reason that Jim Ratcliffe started this here venture in the first place is it not?

It is also worth highlighting that I’m British & the term ‘SUV’ means a specific thing over here. I believe that you’re American & that over there you guys use ‘SUV’ as a catch-all for pretty much anything that has 4 wheel drive? American English & ‘proper’ English are also two different things (I couldn’t resist using the word ‘proper’ again - I hope I made you laugh there 🙂). Haha

& ‘purpose-built’ is not a marketing term - it’s a common phrase. The new Defender is also purpose-built (it's just a different purpose). I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here as well; perhaps you don’t have this phrase in American English?

Anyway, I’m going to bow out of this conversation now as it no longer feels productive. I’ve answered your questions as best I can & I hope that what I’ve said in regard to the actual topic of this thread has been of some help to those with a genuine interest in the Grenadier. I wish you all the best & hope you enjoy your vehicle of choice whatever that may be.
Cheers. I think much of our disagreement may be centered around a difference in vernacular. I would also add that, here in the US, we don’t have the Chelsea Tractor abominations (unfortunately it looks like they already have their paws on a Grenadier - prepare for the spoilers and pod lights LOL). It may just be a different segment over there in that neck of the woods.

Kinda similar to how everyone here thinks the old Defender is the greatest thing to ever grace this planet, while never have actually driven one. Meanwhile the Brits, who have driven them for nearly a century now, would probably tell you otherwise. Different market segments.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
The Defender Drone

Watching a video posted here of the New Defender being test driven reminded me of remote controlled car...being so electronic and Bluetooth technology I can't see why you couldn't remote control it...not knocking the car just stating that it could be the first SUV Drone 4x4...

Myself, I like driving on a solid platform with shocks and coils but not air...plus what is a 4x4 worth...how do you gauge its value, especially an unknown quantity...I am here for the ride... not negative criticism... happy motoring ;)
To me honest I feel a little bit cocooned in the Grenadier as well. As soon as I shut the door I am out of the world. Driving it sometimes feels like watching a movie of someone who drives a car. The automatic transmission doesn’t make it “better” as it is so f…ing good!
I really have to get used to it.
At the moment I sometimes drive a 1983 VW Golf I Cabriolet “Erdbeerkörbchen”. It weights 900 kg or so and has 72 HP. It is in every way just a third of the Grenadier. But it feels really more like driving.
Sorry I had to let those feelings fly free 🧚‍♀️
😂

Local time
Reaction score
l wish the new Defender or Grenadier came with the option of a manual transmission.

But as you say, the auto box is superb although it does reduce the mechanics of driving somewhat.

Maybe in time lneos will offer a manual transmission.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
l wish the new Defender or Grenadier came with the option of a manual transmission.

But as you say, the auto box is superb although it does reduce the mechanics of driving somewhat.

Maybe in time lneos will offer a manual transmission.
Take a look at the footwell and see where you could put the clutch pedal

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
@DaveB I've always said the 76 is the closest to the IG. Why some potential owners (complainers) can't see that I don't know. Maybe it's because they wanted a new Defender in different clothing?
Mmmmmmmm'yea'nah... yeea'''nah nah nope. . It drives and feels and has the tactile body parts like a G. It's heavy and feels heavier than it is. Toyotas feel much lighter. They have higher pitch NVH vibrations. This is a G in economy mode. Once again, Toyota design philosophy is not a bad thing. Excessive metal where it isn't needed doesn't improve the durability of the product, and burns fuel, and brakes for no reason, and makes things tippy off camber.

I've always blown my money on sexy, crazy, pointless broads. This truck is a side ass, not sensible. I want it.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Take a look at the footwell and see where you could put the clutch pedal

Not a problem with LHD models. Not sure there's room under the hood for a clutch master cylinder though.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When Harry starts off his YouTube video saying he refused to go to the Scotland IG reveal, its not surprising then that a negative review from him was already baked in. Some of his comments, I mean really!!!! But then it's going to be a niche vehicle anyway, many will be able to find fault but aren't potential buyers anyway and that's OK.

Local time
Reaction score
Loads of reviewers said the old Defender was crap, and they still do, but l did 90,000 miles in mine and it was anything but.

The Grenadier won't be for everyone, and
that's probably a good thing, you want to be able to find it in a car park.

l parked my new Defender at Chatsworth show (the car park was a field full of vehicles)
Came back to the vehicle later in the day spent a couple of minutes trying to get in and cursed Land Rover for faulty remote control etc before realising it wasn't my Defender but an identical blue one with the steel wheels

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmm'yea'nah... yeea'''nah nah nope. . It drives and feels and has the tactile body parts like a G. It's heavy and feels heavier than it is. Toyotas feel much lighter. They have higher pitch NVH vibrations. This is a G in economy mode. Once again, Toyota design philosophy is not a bad thing. Excessive metal where it isn't needed doesn't improve the durability of the product, and burns fuel, and brakes for no reason, and makes things tippy off camber.

I've always blown my money on sexy, crazy, pointless broads. This truck is a side ass, not sensible. I want it.
Are you referring specifically to the 70 series when you say Toyota? My impressions are different to that.

Local time
Reaction score
The tip over angle for the Gren is 45˙, the weight is all down low. IA didn't just make 'everything' heavy for the sake of it.
yea. thats what the demo guy said. we've all seen pics of the double deckers being tipped. static tip is one thing, but momentum counts, and anecdotally if youre driving off camber its usually a bit bumpy. i drove it, and its not a tesla with the weight at the frame rails. that mass isnt ballast.

Back
Top Bottom