The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Halogen spots?

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing a pair of halogen spot lights with 130 watt bulbs on the grille or bumper.
My limited knowledge of electrics tells me I could use the under-hood aux power since it is 25 amps.
130 watts x2 = 260w /12v = 21.67 amps.

Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Is the under-hood power available at all speeds and normal driving mode?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Is the under-hood power available at all speeds and normal driving mode?
Using the 25% rule at a nominal (engine off) 12.5v yields a fuse rating of 26A, which, for a 25A circuit should be acceptable.

Under hood power (EXT1) is available anytime the switch is on

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Why not LED?
I find the higher temperature lighting to be fatiguing to my eyes. I also like the better color rendering of halogen.

If someone made high quality 3000k LEDs with high CRI, I'd certainly consider them.
I've not found any from a known, good manufacturer.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
If someone made high quality 3000k LEDs with high CRI, I'd certainly consider them.
No idea on their CRI since it isn't listed, but Diode Dynamics uses 4000k emitters in their amber SS3 Max (and I believe SS5 Sport/Pro as well); it is an unofficial (but posted by DD on their FB group) "hack" to order the lights in amber, and swap the lenses to clear lenses to get a warmer tone compared to the normal 6000K emitters used in their white models

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
I find the higher temperature lighting to be fatiguing to my eyes. I also like the better color rendering of halogen.

5000K is natural sunlight and is the best colour for the eye to adjust to.
It also makes objects look close to the same in the lights as they do during daytime.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
No idea on their CRI since it isn't listed, but Diode Dynamics uses 4000k emitters in their amber SS3 Max (and I believe SS5 Sport/Pro as well); it is an unofficial (but posted by DD on their FB group) "hack" to order the lights in amber, and swap the lenses to clear lenses to get a warmer tone compared to the normal 6000K emitters used in their white models
Lazer lamps standardised on 5000K and back when I owned a lighting company I used it for LED and Fluorescent lighting in most applications. Particularly offices.

Back
Top Bottom