The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grommet check

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Man, don't forget English isn't my mother tongue, what does "gaffering" mean? :eek: :LOL:
I am NOT an expert, I am like most of us playing, experimenting, trying, ... therefore not an expert ;)
gaffer is another name for duck tape.. always have a spool of super strong gaffer tape in the vehicle along with ratchet strap and head torch.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Just checked under the seat and yep, missing the same grommet as well. Can see the pavement under the vehicle😳
noticed hole yesterday and thought it a strange but typical IG ‘feature’…….thanks all for working out the problem….will add to list for the dealer…..

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
See

📸 was referring to ..."busbar to service the ctek smartpass consumable out”. 🧐

Edit: Now I see it - why not a small fusebox?
Certainly an option. Among other things I'll be using this busbar that I already had spare to service an ARB twin compressor that draws 56 amps and the compressor already has fuses built in.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
gaffer is another name for duck tape.. always have a spool of super strong gaffer tape in the vehicle along with ratchet strap and head torch.
No ducks were harmed in the making of this tape.
It is actually "Duct" tape as used in the air-conditioning industry.
Allowing for the exception here some company has decided to create a brand name

1693605802885.png

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All this talk after i broke my fingers installing a compressor above said grommet ! Hahahaha
Wish i knew to put some sealant around it . Anyway just sitting here waiting for the ARB to defaecate the bed to get an excuse to re do it . Thanks for the info lads !!!

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
Jean, I’ve just been out and done exactly the same and managed to fish it out with a pair of snipe nosed pliers. It was easy to remount and I’m considering gaffering it down. This will stop it being pushed up, or down and be semi permanent. Unless I’m missing something, do you think this is an effective work around?
I’m guessing none of the replacing by us has been done right (ie all our replaced grommets will be upside down since nothing else is possible) so I suspect the only solution is gaffer tape

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect the only solution is gaffer tape
Or any of those metal flashing tapes, they stick very well, at least when you are trying to remove them deliberately :
flashing-tape-flashband.png

Or go all in and plate it with a section of metal plate and Sikaflex.

Does the grommet serve any purpose for the owner, or is it just a left over from the manufacturing process?

Would you use it to run cables from a power supply (Smartpass, main battery or auxiliary) to a consumer front or rear? If I was going rear, I'd be looking at following the NATO socket cable run. Not sure about the front.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
OK, thanks :) in the meantime somebody else used the word and I understood. I have indeed always duct tape, a head torch, and since I have the Grenadier ratchet strap in the car! :)

And thanks for improving my English (y)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or any of those metal flashing tapes, they stick very well, at least when you are trying to remove them deliberately :
View attachment 7825562

Does the grommet serve any purpose for the owner, or is it just a left over from the manufacturing process?

Isn't it there ( reverse fitted) to protect the 800mm wading depth?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well to be strictly correct I should edit my question to refer to the hole rather than the grommet... 👌

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well to be strictly correct I should edit my question to refer to the hole rather than the grommet... 👌
Ah, I hadn't given much thought to the actual hole, but yes what is the purpose, why isn't there a drain plug arrangement like the front? Makes you think it was intended for some purpose but then not used.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK, thanks :) in the meantime somebody else used the word and I understood. I have indeed always duct tape, a head torch, and since I have the Grenadier ratchet strap in the car! :)

And thanks for improving my English (y)
I think there’s an identical grommet under the main battery as well. Looking at it this morning, it’ll require a bit of disassembly to get at it to apply the duct, duck or whatever tape...

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
No ducks were harmed in the making of this tape.
It is actually "Duct" tape as used in the air-conditioning industry.
Allowing for the exception here some company has decided to create a brand name

View attachment 7825538
DaveB, minor correction as have asked of this question before. gaffa(r) tape is cloth based backing with strong adheisive, duct tape is vinyl or similar plasticised backed and weaker glue to provide a one time airtight seal on ducts. Set designers & riggers say gaffa is stronger and capable of ripping one handed once you know the technique, duct is a one time fit and forget………..who knew!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As in from the factory?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Just checked, and Somebody els did this already for me.

View attachment 7825585
Is that another power take off wire taped to the loom - looks like it - look at upper left corner of photo where extra black glossy tape appears to be holding one or two extra wires. Please check if you can and let us know. If it is another power take off wire, please provide both close up photo of extra wiring and a farther away photo so we can see where all this is. Also if you know what switches may power it and any more info. Perhaps I am just looking too much at too many detailed photos....DaBull

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom