The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadiers Towing

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
Same as mine, Brian James race shuttle, easy to handle with jockey wheel and on rear axle!
Tks reply chaps

Will continue the search as that's what I'm after. The IFW ones appear to be less robust/more rattles these days. Both very nickable of course!

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I much prefer Brian James over Ifor. Towing an ifor sounds like dragging a ton of scrap metal around. The ifor is a solid trailer though.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tks reply chaps

Will continue the search as that's what I'm after. The IFW ones appear to be less robust/more rattles these days. Both very nickable of course!
On nickablity if you are insured with NFU they will add to an existing policy and fully cover trailers for a very small premium.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On nickablity if you are insured with NFU they will add to an existing policy and fully cover trailers for a very small premium.
Tks Eric. Good to know as if I have time today will request some quotes for the Gren and NFU on the list so will ask them to indicate additional for same.

Reactions: PBD

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,
Just some feedback from an owner currently towing in the outback. Approx 2.2t with cruise control set at 100klms/h ranging from 15-19 depending on wind conditions. No too bad I thought

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
I'm unsure to be honest, I'm guessing it is the case, I did hear that Redarc aren't too far away from their "plug n play" unit for the Grenadier, so good news on the horizon!
Yes my agent says they haven’t seen it yet, but are expecting Grenadier specific instructions for a Redarc Tow Pro

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why does anyone need it ?? (genuine question).
A brake controller? Here in Australia at least any trailer over 750kg has to be braked. You can use mechanical override brakes but electric brakes with a smart controller can provide more sensitive and proportional braking that is adjustable and possibility of manual application as well. Much safer.

Local time
Reaction score
Same in the UK.
I have two trailers, the unbraked carries up to 500kgs and the braked (twin axle Ifor) 3500kg.
The Ifors brakes operate when I slow the car, the 'run on' pushes a piston back which operates the brakes.

If I 'jab' the cars brakes the trailor wheels lock up when it's empty.

I am probably missing something here but how would a Redarc Tow Pro help me ?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same in the UK.
I have two trailers, the unbraked carries up to 500kgs and the braked (twin axle Ifor) 3500kg.
The Ifors brakes operate when I slow the car, the 'run on' pushes a piston back which operates the brakes.

If I 'jab' the cars brakes the trailor wheels lock up when it's empty.

I am probably missing something here but how would a Redarc Tow Pro help me ?
Yes absolutely, the tow pro (and other like tekonsha etc) are proportional to brake pressure and allow you to adjust it as well to be more or less sensitive so much less likely to lock up.

Local time
Reaction score
OK.
I'm up to speed now.
Rules and regs are different here than in the US (and presumably Ozzy).

Here (in the UK at least) we have to have an inertia coupling, all wheels must be braked (not just 1 axle) and we have to have a parking/handbrake fitted to the trailer.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
OK.
I'm up to speed now.

Here (in the UK at least) we have to have an inertia coupling, all wheels must be braked (not just 1 axle) and we have to have a parking/handbrake fitted to the trailer.
Inertia couplings are good and simple, but the issue is with large trailer the inertia can cause loss of traction as it is (in an emergency situation) either on or off. Also with the electronic controllers you can brake sway with it, unlike mechanical brakes.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK.
I'm up to speed now.

Would be surprised if they don’t allow electric brakes which are far superior
OK.
I'm up to speed now.

I would be surprised if the regulations stated inertia coupling and excluded electric braking systems which are far superior in terms of safety. Here under 750kg no brakes 750-2000kg at least one axle both wheels have to be braked. Over 2000kg all wheels must be braked and must have a breakaway coupling that automatically applies brakes if it becomes disconnected.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can we keep this thread as mainly for photos of Grenadiers in action towing?

There's a separate thread for techie and other aspects:

Back on topic:
FB_IMG_1654191090510.jpg

Back
Top Bottom