The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
I was about to place an order for a GLE Couple when I happened upon the Grenadier.
View attachment 7822694
disgusted matilda GIF

Local time
Reaction score
I bet there’s a lot of folks (not auto enthusiasts) who would look at those two and say, “four doors, grey in colour, looks expensive, probably a rich asshole driving it … same shit” 😉
Well, at least they'd be correct about most of that. The Grenadier has six doors.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am excited about the projected 27mpg:
The IG 14mpg was the heart breaker for me. Although it was 4mpg better than my 1978 F-150 short bed. Just sucked when I drove to my folks house and back (100 Miles rt) and had to fill up before the next trip. Then I replaced the 19 gal with a 38 gal tank. I filled up less but $$$$. after the first 35 gallon fill ($140), I never let it get below half. It was sold to reserve a Bronco, then the IG and now the LC(?). We will see. Motor bikes need to be sold soon.
To be honest I don't really care about MPG or a 100-mile round-trip, and look forward to the drivability of the Ineos (BMW) six. Not even considering my pre-1980 vehicles, I own/have-owned Rover V8's, VW Tdi's, Toy 4cl, Nissan 4cl, and Honda V6, so my consumption has literally been all over the place. Each vehicle has/had its merit and I didn't struggle the times I drove out of its element. As an example, let's take your '78 F150 and look at MPG:Capability - most other vehicles simply don't compete in this use class, and I'm sure you enjoyed driving it.

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
I havent read this whole string but they are only making the Landcruiser in a 4cyl hybrid. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I havent read this whole string but they are only making the Landcruiser in a 4cyl hybrid. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people.
If the 6 cyl is wanted, go for the GX550, otherwise it's the same vehicle.... Same as the difference between a 5th gen 4Runner and GX460 (6cyl and V8, respectively)

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Then you have change to Lexus GX550, near the same car, bigger engine and much more luxurious.
And a little bit more expensive ...., i think :)

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
If the 6 cyl is wanted, go for the GX550, otherwise it's the same vehicle.... Same as the difference between a 5th gen 4Runner and GX460 (6cyl and V8, respectively)
The 4 Runner always made a better off roader though as I think the LC will make a better off roader just for approach and departure angles, idk, we'll see.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 4 Runner always made a better off roader though as I think the LC will make a better off roader just for approach and departure angles, idk, we'll see.
Very few people are going to be off roading with any frequency in stock LC250s; a lift and tires will be commonplace, as will metal bumpers, sliders, skids, etc... all altering approach/departure/breakover

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Almost identical.
It would be easy to mistake one for the other in a car park.
View attachment 7822702View attachment 7822703

Those round things on each of the four corners are nearly identical so I get what you mean. Shame on Mercedes for stealing Ineos' design like that.

;D

For me the only piece of tech besides ABS/DSC, that I‘ve come to really like is the relatively new rear view camera in some vehicles. It allows you to add nets/partitions and gear into the rear load space without obstructing your view vs. a traditional mirror. If it does crap out on you, the mirror can be turned down, similar to the change in angle when someone shines their high beams in your rear view mirror, turning the mirror into a normal rear view.

As for the rest, I could do without the additional nanny sensors, but I get many people find them useful. I am not one of those who do.

Fully agreed and whenever this comes up I link to one of these; this is a very useful feature that is easy to add aftermarket these days:

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My thoughts on the LC:

1) I like how it looks.
2) I am not worried about the complexity of this particular powertrain; there's a lot of Prius's running around with well over half a million miles on them as taxis. Toyota have been doing a pretty good hybrid set up for a lot of years now. It's not bush fixable, but it's not causing me "Land Rover" nerves either.
3) Payload will be key and no numbers yet. If they can hit 1650 lbs payload, this will be one of the most capable platforms on the US market and give the Gren a serious run for its money.

If Toyota can produce a reasonably stout 4x4 - and, despite this being disregarded by some as "it's just a Prado", the Land Cruiser name does carry an obligation of robustness that I would be very surprised it Toyota ignored - and they can land their sub-$60k USD price, then I think a lot of people who are looking for a travel vehicle will go with this one over the Gren. I think the Gren is likely more stout based on the weight of it, but robustness reaches a point of diminishing returns -- if the Gren can climb the mountain a million times, and the Land Cruiser can climb the mountain only 750,000 times, but the person buying the vehicle only really goes up the mountain maybe 100 times in their lives, then both options are nearly irrelevantly overbuilt for the task at hand.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
The 250 is a good replacement for the FJ Cruiser 4x4 crowd. Here in AU it would've been a best seller with a V6 for anyone with a boat, caravan or horse float. Currently the Everest is the favourite in class so Ford dodged a bullet there. Maybe Toyota will add the V6 later.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is hard for me to get this comparison idea on a dedicated Ineos Grenadier Forum...is it that those who want a Grenadier but can't are letting all who can, know there may be a better decision...if that is the case...so be it...but I have not even considered another car and in fact, didn't even want one until Ineos introduced this extraordinary plan and then to watch it grow and now own a Grenadier...always been a risk taker but to have such a longer time to calculate the risk, it seemed right...the rest is history in the making...I have my 59 series to fall back on just in case ;)

Local time
Reaction score
Very few people are going to be off roading with any frequency in stock LC250s; a lift and tires will be commonplace, as will metal bumpers, sliders, skids, etc... all altering approach/departure/breakover
For sure.
But stock or modified it will probably be a better off-roader than the the GX.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is hard for me to get this comparison idea on a dedicated Ineos Grenadier Forum...is it that those who want a Grenadier but can't are letting all who can, know there may be a better decision...if that is the case...so be it...but I have not even considered another car and in fact, didn't even want one until Ineos introduced this extraordinary plan and then to watch it grow and now own a Grenadier...always been a risk taker but to have such a longer time to calculate the risk, it seemed right...the rest is history in the making...I have my 59 series to fall back on just in case ;)
That is exactly my thought as well.

Reactions: Max

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

I think the comparison is fair - this place is as much to support decision making on buying the Grenadier as it is to support those who are already owners. If the Grenadier is meant to be a bare-bones 4x4 and costs me $110k, but the Toyota is also meant to be a bare-bones 4x4 and only costs me $65k, then Ineos has some explaining to do to truly appeal to that first group of "maybe" buyers, and comparison threads like this are very helpful for a person to understand if they truly NEED the Grenadier or not, based on what specifically does it offer that the 250 doesn't. As more specs on the 250 come out, this could be a close contest, or apples to oranges.

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
I think the comparison is fair - this place is as much to support decision making on buying the Grenadier as it is to support those who are already owners. If the Grenadier is meant to be a bare-bones 4x4 and costs me $110k, but the Toyota is also meant to be a bare-bones 4x4 and only costs me $65k, then Ineos has some explaining to do to truly appeal to that first group of "maybe" buyers, and comparison threads like this are very helpful for a person to understand if they truly NEED the Grenadier or not, based on what specifically does it offer that the 250 doesn't. As more specs on the 250 come out, this could be a close contest, or apples to oranges.
Bingo!

I came here all set to buy a grenadier. But then the price drifted up and up to a point where I had to call shenanigans.

So yes there are two groups of people here. One group wants verification for their purchase (and at the moment they all bought at launch pricing), and the other wants to find a car that can do the job. For some that might be the grenadier but I think objectively there are probably better options, such as the 78 series in Australia.

There has been talk that supply was constrained because of the V8, and that it might free up with the 2.8 turbo and the auto. If this happens and they don't go crazy on the price (which is as yet unknown) I think it's going to be hard to objectively go past. Plus at least in this stage is has the full force of the aftermarket on it's side with years of development, plus a known support network in Australia.

The landcruiser/prado this thread is about will probably also be a very good option but it's 12 months away.

Either way as I've said elsewhere I do think ineos might struggle to get new orders at their current prices.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score

The Grenadier is meant to be a solid basis to build your 4WD vehicle from.
That doesn't mean it should be cheap.
Apart from the software glitches the basic components and engineering in the Grenadier is top specification and an unbelievable starting point.
Some people start with the base 2 or 5 seater in Utility or wagon form and decide they will do everything from there themselves.
Some start with the Trialmaster
Others the Fieldmaster.

The fact is that it isn't what everyone wants or needs and that doesn't make you wrong if you decide it isn't right for you.
It means you have made the right decision for you.

I am not sure which model Toyota you are talking about for $65K (AUD$75K) but they start at the very base model here just below the Grenadier base model

1691542660090.png

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
this place is as much to support decision making on buying the Grenadier as it is to support those who are already owners.
I couldn't agree more and yes some are comparing apples to oranges...money is a big part of making a choice but how much do you pay for the best vehicle, the best engine,
the best gearbox, the best running gear, the best brakes, the best seats, the best 12-year warranty ladder frame, the best shocks and springs, the best anti-corrosion applications, and the best engineering overall...when another vehicle has what I have just stated then you will find a comparison and a price to go with it...don't forget this is a small niche market build...very hard to compare to mass-produced vehicles that don't have the same specs...this opinion is based on the information I have gathered while watching this vehicles evolution and the trials with reports from educated vehicle writers and off this forum...and a strong bias... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom