The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs 2024 Land Cruiser

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
The Land Cruiser definitely is the main competitor against the grenadier. I’d have to say the best thing about it is that it is a great fall back in case the grenadier ends up being a complete lemon. And this is just the Land Cruiser, I know the 4runner is even less of a direct offset, but it will be interesting to see what they do with that, and how they position it. If the Land Cruiser had come out with a turbo six cylinder, I think I’d be definitely out on the IG. I know a V-8 was never in the cards, but that would’ve been a complete boxer drop.
It’s good to have at least one other viable option than the grenadier. We ended up needing to buy a new 4 x 4 in a time crunch. We bought a 2023 4Runner. You can definitely feel that it is really long in the tooth. Especially around the electronics side.
I know it’s a flawed comparison, but I have a BMW 530e with a similar twin turbo hybrid 4. When I bought it, I also drove the 540, which has a 6 (same as the grenadier, I believe). There was a difference in the engines, sure, but it was so minor that in 99% of practical driving, it would never matter. Plus, with the hybrid, I’ve been able to get 60 mpg for short trips with ideal conditions (while the battery lasts, which is less than I’d like).

I’m not 100% sold on the LC 4 in rough off-road and towing, but those are not real use cases for me. When I looked at the BHP and torque of the LC being better than the IG plus the gas mileage being likely seriously better, that engine is quite appealing.

I see them as competitors chiefly in the sense that whereas I wouldn’t buy a Jeep, Bronco, or Rover due to quality concerns, the LC gives me everything I would practically want/need in the IG plus a whole lot more in the way of comfort (ventilated seats, heat steering wheel).

It’s just like my wife: a blonde who occasionally dyes her hair red. 😁

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I hope you realize that the '23 4Runner has way more electronics and modules and, quite frankly, techy gadgets, than the Grenadier does...
I think that was the intent in the promise of the Grenadier, but I don’t see that as actually being true. There could simply be more modules in the forerunner because it’s based on architecture from when George Bush was in the presidency. And no doubt the grenadier has built to a higher standard than the forerunner.
My comment was more actually around the computer person interface. The forerunner is like playing Tetris. Even the CarPlay interface is simplistic compared to the latest jeep iteration.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
My comment was more actually around the computer person interface. The forerunner is like playing Tetris. Even the CarPlay interface is simplistic compared to the latest jeep iteration.

Simpler is better in my book. I want the least amount of modern tech possible. I'm not talking about manual windshielf wipers or push button AM radios but I have never wanted ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel or fApple Auto Suck. I think the Grenadier approaches that standard as closely as any vehicle available these days arguably falling slightly short.

p.s. - I've never played any video game for more than two minutes without suffering mind-numbing boredom. Except Wumpus.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For me the most important thing is the ability to work on the vehicle with a minimum of specialized proprietary diagnostic tools. There’s no way in our day and age we’re ever going to be able to go back to carburated/analog tech with current modern new vehicle emissions/safety requirements. So tech In our vehicles is here to stay.

What I’m hoping for in the Grenadier are less things that will turn my vehicle into a brick if something goes wrong and the ability to fix it enough to get home without having to rely on a tow truck to save me.

With my ‘23 Defender, I don’t feel like I could work on it with all the tech that’s packed into it.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
The LC is a Toyota first and foremost. So all its tech are amortized by millions of vehicles. So those cooled seats or electronic doodad, are designed to be very reliable because Toyota literally uses them in millions of its cars. Reliable doesn't equate to toughness though, so the overbuilt Gren still has its place.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
For me the most important thing is the ability to work on the vehicle with a minimum of specialized proprietary diagnostic tools. There’s no way in our day and age we’re ever going to be able to go back to carburated/analog tech with current modern new vehicle emissions/safety requirements. So tech In our vehicles is here to stay.

What I’m hoping for in the Grenadier are less things that will turn my vehicle into a brick if something goes wrong and the ability to fix it enough to get home without having to rely on a tow truck to save me.

With my ‘23 Defender, I don’t feel like I could work on it with all the tech that’s packed into it.
In one of the video's Sir Jim said he is seriously disappointed by the amount of tech they had to put in to pass global homologation standards.
I can't recall which one but I think he was driving it at the time.
So the dream and plan was to have somewhere between none and as little as possible.
unfortunately "as little as possible" means different things in different markets.
As you can see even on this forum we have people who are demanding lane departure warning, brake assist, radar cruise control, 360 camera's etc etc.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
I like this side by side comparison of an LC200 vs IG. With all its flaws, the IG still gets me excited. I have a 2014 LC which I plan to keep.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVC14znsiyQ
As we all know, most users who have driven the GREN in this forum believe that the RHD footrest is a 'non-issue' and is acceptably fine design (I saw the video snap - had to laugh). Though, I do not wear glasses of any kind.
The GREN will attract a lot of people who ditched the thought of owning a 'New Defender', being foible will be part of the car!
The LC on the other hand will have Toyota fan'persons' running from the hills to buy one, even at their inflated prices.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In one of the video's Sir Jim said he is seriously disappointed by the amount of tech they had to put in to pass global homologation standards.
So the dream and plan was to have somewhere between none and as little as possible.
unfortunately "as little as possible" means different things in different markets.
As you can see even on this forum we have people who are demanding lane departure warning, brake assist, radar cruise control, 360 camera's etc etc.
They wanted BMW/MERC/NEW DEF comforts... but the old school look. I for one wanted far less electrics on this vehicle when it was first propositioned to the market. Something we have to accept is the gremlins which go along with making a new vehicle overly complicated.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Probably the same people demanding "others" keep on the "straight and narrow path" :ROFLMAO:

Local time
Reaction score
Well seeing as I'm not willing to spend grenadier money on a car I'm going to beat the crappers out of in the bush.. I'm open to other ideas.

The new prado looks pretty interesting. It's bigger than the defender. There is talk of increased tow capacity to 3500kg. It sure looks a lot more spacious and comfortable than a Defender.

At current prices at least I could probably keep my Defender, buy a prado and have significant amount of change. :D

Might need a bigger garage though. :unsure:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well seeing as I'm not willing to spend grenadier money on a car I'm going to beat the crappers out of in the bush.. I'm open to other ideas.

The new prado looks pretty interesting. It's bigger than the defender. There is talk of increased tow capacity to 3500kg. It sure looks a lot more spacious and comfortable than a Defender.

At current prices at least I could probably keep my Defender, buy a prado and have significant amount of change. :D

Check the load carrying capacity before you hit GVM, it has been quite low in past models.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Buy an old 4wd
Spend $30-40K doing up all the mechanicals and the interior.
Don't worry about th paint.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
It's easy to rag on creature comforts like a heated steering wheel, but it's one of those things that don't effect the vehicle's ability to get you home. As long as it has a fuse it will not leave you stranded. I find it quite nice for extreme weather in my Jeep (and if Jeep can build this feature reliably, anyone can).

Cameras and proximity sensors as well, they don't increase your odds of getting stranded.

The Grenadier does seem to be computerized in ways that do make me nervous, for instance the car refusing to move with a door cracked open. Will a faulty or damage sensor leave the car immobile? Or perhaps the vehicle refusing to exit wade mode, hindering its ability to cool itself. The lockers also rely on wheel speed sensors; what happens if those get damaged or faulty?

Time will tell.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier does seem to be computerized in ways that do make me nervous, for instance the car refusing to move with a door cracked open. Will a faulty or damage sensor leave the car immobile? Or perhaps the vehicle refusing to exit wade mode, hindering its ability to cool itself. The lockers also rely on wheel speed sensors; what happens if those get damaged or faulty?
To answer your questions specifically
  • Off road mode will bypass the requirement that the door is closed to engage drive/reverse
  • Exiting wading mode (or off road mode) can be done by cycling the ignition (with an off time >30 seconds)
  • If you damage the wheel speed sensors, you will most likely lose the ability to engage the front/rear differential locks; for comparison, losing a wheel speed sensor in a Toyota/Nissan will cause you to lose 4WD

Back
Top Bottom