The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Servicing Price Australia

Ineos4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

Had a search but couldn't find any other relevant posts/threads but if there are please point me towards them!

Just got a quote for my 1Y/15,000KM service, $1300+ (couldn't provided a fixed amount)! For reference a 70 series Landcruiser (similar design/use) is $425 while a 300 series Landcruiser (similar price) is $400, where's the extra $900 going?

As someone who does a lot of KMs I don't want to be spending $3K a year on log book servicing, especially when the 2 alternatives I had to the Grenadier cost less than 1/3 of that!

Cheers,

Paul
I had my 15000 service nearly 6 months ago, cost /invoice was posted under my previous posts. It was $750 from memory. I'm almost at 30,000km so will keep everyone up to date

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
After a more thorough look at the underside of the car this evening...

Appears the sump plug has never been touched, which gives me even less confidence again the car has actually been serviced.

And there's a relatively substantial leak from the front end of the gearbox sump that was not mentioned to me and clearly has not been repaired!
Why would they touch the sump plug?
I thought the oil has to be siphoned out from above

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
Nope, I’d be finding someone else with BMW and 4wd knowledge to service it, and reluctantly only going to the dealer for warranty and updates work. And then wondering if that had been done. I’ve already experienced work “supposedly” having been done that was proven to be bullshit and could have had serious safety consequences. That’s enough for me to ban a dealer.

Paying through the nose for work is one thing. Paying for work that wasn’t done is something else entirely. Trust - Lost
This is where I'm at. I've got a mechanic (Bosch/RAA approved) willing to do the work and can source consumables/most components (generally BMW or Toyota). Today I've gone and got most of what is required for the service to be redone (all fluids from Penrite (aside from coolant concentrate that I need to go past BMW/Toyota for)), which what was used in my car despite the price gauging for recommended Petronas/Fuchs)

Items missing are:
- Engine air filter, appears to be a stock BMW X5 component but there is some information contradicting that on this forum, will order one from a different Ineos agent and compare with a BMW replacement
- Diesel/water filter, mechanic suggests it looks like a BMW component but can't say until he's seen a Grenadier one to compare it with
- Cabin air filter, looked into this myself so no guarantee on accuracy but shape/size appears to line up with the E6# BMW 5-series filter, will update

I'll have my mechanic redo the important parts of the service and report on what/hasn't been done, along with anything else that needs to be looked at as something I need to fix or seek warranty on. One thing I noticed while looking over my Ineos' dealer work late yesterday was that there is a relatively large leak from the font of the gearbox sump, they said there was no leaks found...

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can the diesel's oil be drained by vacuum on the "do not use" dipstick?
Not sure, but wouldn't think it would be needed, typically something you would only do with a dry sumped engine. Oil filter sits quite high and is remote of the oil pump etc, doesn't sit low on the block at crank level like an older engine.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't - the petrol engines doesn't even have that. We're only able to change via sump plug AFAIK.
Should only drain from there regardless, bottom of the sump is where the heavier contaminants sit, e.g. anything metal related. If the bottom of the sump hasn't been drained the oil hasn't been drained as far as I'm concerned!

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had my 15000 service nearly 6 months ago, cost /invoice was posted under my previous posts. It was $750 from memory. I'm almost at 30,000km so will keep everyone up to date
I'd be more than happy to pay that! First service includes fluids for the diffs and work involved in draining them (granted it's probably only 15 minutes). That's $550 cheaper than I was quoted and $300 cheaper than the reduced service I ended up with but which may not have happened!

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why would they touch the sump plug?
I thought the oil has to be siphoned out from above
Anything heavier than the oil settles at the bottom of the sump. Metal shavings from manufacture or wear-in etc, any failure of a component somewhere else in the engine etc. (though they shouldn't be there). Yet to actually test it myself but most sump plugs are now magnetic so they can pick up anything like that in the oil system. Clearly won't pick up most alloys, composites or carbides but will at least keep any iron based metals circulating in the system.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anything heavier than the oil settles at the bottom of the sump. Metal shavings from manufacture or wear-in etc, any failure of a component somewhere else in the engine etc. (though they shouldn't be there). Yet to actually test it myself but most sump plugs are now magnetic so they can pick up anything like that in the oil system. Clearly won't pick up most alloys, composites or carbides but will at least keep any iron based metals circulating in the system.
Should mention that when you drain a sump it is generally done with a cold engine so everything can settle at the bottom. Including the oil itself, if the engine has been ran recently half the oil will still be at the top end and need to drain down over time.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Diffs, also looking pretty untouched... In order, front top up point then drain, rear top up point and then drain.IMG_3783.jpegIMG_3787.jpegIMG_3786.jpegIMG_3784.jpeg

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Cabin air filter, those finger prints are find after taking the cover off.

IMG_3792.jpeg

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And some gauge marks in the engine vanity cover that showed up after I asked them to service it for a second time...

IMG_3789.jpegIMG_3790.jpeg

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From what Paul ( Miltz ) was telling me, they ( the dealership mechanics ) couldn't find the dip stick.
Nor did they know how to use the infotainment screen to run an automated oil level check, I had to show them how to do that. And also had to show then how to put the hood into the service position which I thought would have been class 1 of how to service the car, if you can't open the hood you shouldn't be allowed to service it!

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
30th May - I'll let you know the alternative costs for serving the Gren with Diesel engine without using Bosch or any IA agent.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I understand that but the engine service practice is to drain the oil from the dipstick so they wouldn't touch the sump plug

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure, but wouldn't think it would be needed, typically something you would only do with a dry sumped engine. Oil filter sits quite high and is remote of the oil pump etc, doesn't sit low on the block at crank level like an older engine.
Some time ago it was posted on here that changes to the oil pan meant the sump plug was not the lowest collection point on the engine.
Something to do with the engine being mounted at a different angle on the Grenadier to the BMW

Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
Should mention that when you drain a sump it is generally done with a cold engine so everything can settle at the bottom. Including the oil itself, if the engine has been ran recently half the oil will still be at the top end and need to drain down over time.
Most oils are drained warm or hot. The car goes from the carpark to the rack the contaminates unless large or heavy will be suspended in the oil and the majority will drain with the oil proven by good oil sampling methods. If there is that much contamination that it settles in the sump before a cold drain it is very unlikely the the contaminants will drain with the oil as there is all ways some residual oil left in the sump. Very few vehicles are drained in a workshop stone cold or have been sitting overnight in the shop. Oil filters sit high for ease of servicing. An oil filter in every modern car engine is full flow so the first place the oil goes is through is the oil filter straight after the oil pump before going through the engine only bypass oil from a blocked filter or very cold high viscosity oil will go directly into an engine lubrication system without filtration. It also pays to start a turbo engine that has been sitting overnight prior to a service to lubricate the turbo (extends turbo life) so that it does have some lubrication prior to the new oil charging the system and new filter that may take a few seconds for some engines.

Back
Top Bottom