The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Servicing Price Australia

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
I've always re-used the old ones. On my Porsches and S3 Landy...just sand 'em flat
The problem with the old washer is that it has become 'work hardened'. So, it needs to be re-annealed.
Just heat the washer with a gas flame until it begins to glow then drop it in water. Job done. 5 mins including finding the gas torch (one borrowed from the kitchen works very well!:devilish:)

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
$930 quoted here on the Gold Coast... the most expensive service I've ever paid for all my prior owned vehicles is $527 on a new Ranger... to see costs also go up is concerning considering 15Kkm includes the diff oil change... You may add well say 7c per KM for long-term servicing fee - not good and overall I am not impressed.

The risk of buying this type of vehicle? or are we paying for the lack of knowledge and support that IA seems to be giving its dealer base?

I'm at a crossroads between annoyed... or pissed of enough to scrap the whole idea of long-term ownership.

I'll tell the wife the costs tonight and see what she thinks...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The problem with the old washer is that it has become 'work hardened'. So, it needs to be re-annealed.
Just heat the washer with a gas flame until it begins to glow then drop it in water. Job done. 5 mins including finding the gas torch (one borrowed from the kitchen works very well!:devilish:)
At 15Kkm that washer will be effectively like new!

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In most major cities there are quality independent BMW service companies, maybe find your local one and take it there with a service checklist and see if they can quote on it. It would be incremental business for them, they will be familiar with the basic engine and gearbox service requirements and the rest should be easy to learn as the ladder chassis + live axle design makes access very easy once on a hoist.

At least in Australia you can use third party service providers for logbook servicing without voiding the vehicle warranty. For warranty issues take it to an Ineos dealer, given the unique nature of these vehicles I would think most of us will be having at least annual warranty events and visits during the first few years anyway.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the high price is due to the low volume of vehicles on the road.
Most car dealers are servicing high volume, multi model and multi brand vehicles.
So fixed costs are spread across a large number of vehicles.
An Ineos dealer may service only 2-3 vehicles per day.
Even if it was 5 vehicles at 225 days a year that is only 1,125 vehicles at $930 Gross. $1,046,250.
Take GST away $942,567.57
Then remove 50% for costs and you have $471,283.79 Gross Profit.
This is all just guesswork but would barely support a small workshop and 3 staff.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just got an answer back from the dealer, prices below:
Oil - $145 (RRP for recommended oil is $80 for 5L, need 7.5L, $120)
Oil filter - $80 (local BMW dealer quoted me $30)
Sump plug washer - $10 (probably get a 20 pack at Repco for less)
Diff oil - $120 (WTF! Has 2.1L F & R, can get 4L for $40-50 at Repco)
Cabin air filter - $220 (can't argue, don't know if it's common with another car I can get one from)
Water separator (assume this is part of fuel filter system?) - $120

Total parts price - 575 (at excessive pricing)

Service price - $1100 (seem to have brought it down because of my complaining)

Said they only need the car for a couple of hours so it looks like $525 for 2 hours of labour on top of rip off expendable/parts prices!
Back in 1994/95 I had 5 Falcon Station wagons on my company car fleet.
I queried when they charged me $45 for supply and fit windscreen wiper blades.
As the blade inserts were under $10 a pair in their spare parts showroom I queried why the Managing Director was installing them.
They had $3 for window washer refill
They had also itemised under $1 for cleaning rags and another $5 for miscellaneous workshop expenses .
I explained to them that when they could itemise the miscellaneous workshop items I would consider paying for them.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
$930 quoted here on the Gold Coast... the most expensive service I've ever paid for all my prior owned vehicles is $527 on a new Ranger... to see costs also go up is concerning considering 15Kkm includes the diff oil change... You may add well say 7c per KM for long-term servicing fee - not good and overall I am not impressed.

The risk of buying this type of vehicle? or are we paying for the lack of knowledge and support that IA seems to be giving its dealer base?

I'm at a crossroads between annoyed... or pissed of enough to scrap the whole idea of long-term ownership.

I'll tell the wife the costs tonight and see what she thinks...
Whilst the price may be a lot higher than what you are used to, I think there are lots of reasons that Dave has outlined as to why they are on the higher. Outside of those reasons is the fact that Euro cars just charge more full stop to service - because they can get away with it.
Whilst we have only a handful of Service agents - the service price will remain high. That’s also one of the reasons why the Bosch servicing deal would of died - as all of the Sales agents wanted the service $ kept to themselves - otherwise there wasn’t enough $s in it for them to invest in Ineos full stop - purely based on sales revenue.

Local time
Reaction score
What is Ineos paying for hours back to the dealer for warranty claims? Likely the rate is significantly less then normal billable hours charged to a customer for the same repair. From all the comments there appears to be more hours of warranty work then billable repair and service work, not a very good way to sustain a workshop as there normally is a delay from work completed to receiving payment. Currently servicing and accessories is the only way for Ineos workshops to recoup costs for the Ineos investment while most of the cars are currently under warranty. To be viable the workshops will have to service and repair other brands or have other products to subsidise the investment for Ineos licensing, training and tooling.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
If you have a diesel motor, it will be Water Separator Filter Part No: GRA3E12019770, which cost me 71.40 +plus GST in Feb. Thread here.

Not sure of the petrol filter cost.
Is this filter available anywhere else or are there alternatives (e.g. from BMW)?

Having my local mechanic (Bosch Service Centre ironically, they've already done my solar wiring so familiar with the vehicle) quote a service and so far the consumables are coming to about half to 2/3 the price of what my Ineos dealer has provided (most of the parts OE spec BMW, and Toyota Supra), and an hour less labour. Once I've got some more info together they'll provide a firm quote but for now it's $600 min, $900 max expected.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this filter available anywhere else or are there alternatives (e.g. from BMW)?

Having my local mechanic (Bosch Service Centre ironically, they've already done my solar wiring so familiar with the vehicle) quote a service and so far the consumables are coming to about half to 2/3 the price of what my Ineos dealer has provided (most of the parts OE spec BMW, and Toyota Supra), and an hour less labour. Once I've got some more info together they'll provide a firm quote but for now it's $600 min, $900 max expected.
Thats why I am happy (well kinda happy), to take it to the agent and pay $800. Granted my agent seems to be charging at the lower end of the price bracket.
That way they can do the service, fix all of the warranty issues, load all of the updates, do the campaign work - and I only have to take it to the one spot.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Not that I know about. I have not worked out who made the fuel separator installed on the AU diesel models, knowing that may help to find a third party supplier.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thats why I am happy (well kinda happy), to take it to the agent and pay $800. Granted my agent seems to be charging at the lower end of the price bracket.
That way they can do the service, fix all of the warranty issues, load all of the updates, do the campaign work - and I only have to take it to the one spot.
I'd be plenty happy with $800, probably what I'm looking at going to my preferred mechanic who'll be using OE approved BMW consumables as required and the rest is all pretty straightforward, just the fuel filter...

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not that I know about. I have not worked out who made the fuel separator installed on the AU diesel models, knowing that may help to find a third party supplier.
Will be interesting to find out, I doubt Ineos would have gone to the effort to develop and manufacture (outsourced) their own with so many OE manufacturers that could provide one. Could be borrowed from farm equipment or plant machinery and available for $10 at a regional equipment maintenance shop for all we know!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What is Ineos paying for hours back to the dealer for warranty claims? Likely the rate is significantly less then normal billable hours charged to a customer for the same repair. From all the comments there appears to be more hours of warranty work then billable repair and service work, not a very good way to sustain a workshop as there normally is a delay from work completed to receiving payment. Currently servicing and accessories is the only way for Ineos workshops to recoup costs for the Ineos investment while most of the cars are currently under warranty. To be viable the workshops will have to service and repair other brands or have other products to subsidise the investment for Ineos licensing, training and tooling.
That is why i think the SLRV model on The Gold Coast seems to work so well.
They have a thriving business and have added Ineos to it.
They have really evolved by adding lots of accessories and modifications.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That is why i think the SLRV model on The Gold Coast seems to work so well.
They have a thriving business and have added Ineos to it.
They have really evolved by adding lots of accessories and modifications.
I've heard a lot of good things about SLRV! And they have a good website/store with a lot of aftermarket accessories from Europe etc.

Ronny Dahl (if you're not familiar he's on YouTube, 4x4 guy, lover of mod'd 70 series, says what it is) over in Perth has a just got a long term demo Grenadier he can modify and though being Perth based seems to being dealing with SLRV though being based on the other side of the country.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about SLRV! And they have a good website/store with a lot of aftermarket accessories from Europe etc.

Ronny Dahl (if you're not familiar he's on YouTube, 4x4 guy, lover of mod'd 70 series, says what it is) over in Perth has a just got a long term demo Grenadier he can modify and though being Perth based seems to being dealing with SLRV though being based on the other side of the country.
I have been watchin Ronny's video's pretty much since he started.
I have spent a lot of time in WA for work over the years.
I lived there from 1992 -1994 and 2009 -2012.
I had my first drive in a Grenadier with Justin Hocevar on the track just behind Perth Airport

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Expedition HQ (aka SLVR) are really good. They did some work on my car and it is back for some warranty work later this month. I have some electrical problem with my aux power circuits.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have just heard back form my local Ineos dealer and they won't go lower than $1020 for the first service.

Quite frustrating to have them drop the price by near on $300 (why wasn't it $300 less to start with!) but still be $200-300 more than independents using the same parts.

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Wiper refills and cabin air filter would be additional cost, previously quoted $200 for the wipers alone...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Are the two issues not separate?

1. Warranty and vehicle problems fixed at no cost.
2. Servicing provided for a fair and reasonable rates?

It would seem quite a few here will just "accept" the high cost because, well you know, they gotta do all those other IA related fixes and updates etc etc.

In my view, it feels as though 40% of the cost is for "ass covering" to deal with IA related issues and I'm now seeking alternative costs through the rest of week as to what can be realistically achieved - cost wise.

What concerns me is that such a high basic service charge will lead to drastically inflated non-warranty type repair charges... I don't see how the two won't be linked by cost... and we will have to fork out a months savings up to twice yearly for servicing yet alone other repair types, if so required. Just my view on how this is going to play out.

By IA own play book, this isn't a luxury vehicle and as such we shouldn't be paying luxury servicing costs. Just a thought.

I told the wife about local servicing fees just tonight - I got one peeved wifey now!!! NOT HAPPY JAN!!!

Back
Top Bottom