The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Cross-Shopping?

Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
If you move forward with importing a LC 70 series, I'd love to hear about your experience. I'm pretty sure that the V8 diesel does not meet U.S. emissions, and in today's climate, I don't know if there is a way around that. But if you learn something, feel free to share! With the success of the Wrangler (~200,000 units sold per year), it is crazy to me that Toyota doesn't try to update the 70 just enough to pass emissions (if it doesn't have them already - it would need airbags and a back-up camera too), and sell it here in the U.S.
For Canada it's 15 year or older, mostly no questions asked. Use it for 10 years then sell it and to a cousin to the south and break even 😉. But you're prob right, those days may be ending.

The VDJ engine from AU/NZ is out because RHD only (legal here but against personal preference). So 4.2 diesel or petrol from EU ? they seem to peter out early 2000s ...

I don't understand the resistance to update either. Only legislation seems to budge them.

Local time
Reaction score
I have been really close on a few other vehicles. Tend to gravitate more towards trucks versus SUV, but the utility of the Grenadier is very truck-like, so it is very different than others in its 'class'.

For about a year I was really close to placing an order for the Jeep Gladiator. After the prices have just kept going up, the value just doesn't seem there for the other sacrifices made with getting a Jeep.

Most recently I have been debating going back to a full sized truck. Of the big 3, the Chevy trail Boss strikes my fancy as the best goldilocks (although I do think the GMC AT4 is intriguing) and the 6.2 is a gem of a motor and probably not around for too much longer. But man are they a complete female dog to drive in the city.

I would like to love the mid-sized tuck offerings, but the back seats are really just too small for car seats, and until the new GM twins drop, they are too far out of date to really be in consideration.

As far as the 4Runner goes, not in the cards. Not paying new car money for something that woefully out of date and buying used just seems stupid. I guess the GX is a little more appealing, but for various reasons I just can't see myself ever going that direction.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lexus/Toyota really screwed up with the GX. That front end is HORRENDOUS Looking. Great bones, ugly face- plus it’s a Lexus.

I don’t know what Toyota wants to do to replace the LandCrusier. The LX isn‘t a replacement. The Sequioa isn’t either. Maybe the 4Runner is slotting to get a bit bigger and they thought that there wasn’t enough differentiation then?

If they had a new Land Crusier in 22 Like they should have instead of killing it, I’d probably be driving one. I walked into the local Toyota dealer in 2019 and asked to see a LandCrusier- they didn’t have one in stock, and didn’t seem to want to sell one- kept on pushing a Sequioa…. No LandCrusiers is when you know you don’t live on the nice side of town…

Local time
Reaction score
Lexus/Toyota really screwed up with the GX. That front end is HORRENDOUS Looking. Great bones, ugly face- plus it’s a Lexus.

I don’t know what Toyota wants to do to replace the LandCrusier. The LX isn‘t a replacement. The Sequioa isn’t either. Maybe the 4Runner is slotting to get a bit bigger and they thought that there wasn’t enough differentiation then?

If they had a new Land Crusier in 22 Like they should have instead of killing it, I’d probably be driving one. I walked into the local Toyota dealer in 2019 and asked to see a LandCrusier- they didn’t have one in stock, and didn’t seem to want to sell one- kept on pushing a Sequioa…. No LandCrusiers is when you know you don’t live on the nice side of town…
And then to top it all off, when they redesigned the Sequoia they dropped the torsen center diff (so no full time system) and the powered roll down rear window, leaving a vehicle that can't compete in any real way with the Tahoe or Expedition and no longer offers any uniqueness to make up for it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
I have been really close on a few other vehicles. Tend to gravitate more towards trucks versus SUV, but the utility of the Grenadier is very truck-like, so it is very different than others in its 'class'.

For about a year I was really close to placing an order for the Jeep Gladiator. After the prices have just kept going up, the value just doesn't seem there for the other sacrifices made with getting a Jeep.

Most recently I have been debating going back to a full sized truck. Of the big 3, the Chevy trail Boss strikes my fancy as the best goldilocks (although I do think the GMC AT4 is intriguing) and the 6.2 is a gem of a motor and probably not around for too much longer. But man are they a complete female dog to drive in the city.

I would like to love the mid-sized tuck offerings, but the back seats are really just too small for car seats, and until the new GM twins drop, they are too far out of date to really be in consideration.

As far as the 4Runner goes, not in the cards. Not paying new car money for something that woefully out of date and buying used just seems stupid. I guess the GX is a little more appealing, but for various reasons I just can't see myself ever going that direction.
Not sure you realise that the midsize trucks you are talking about are the full size dual cab utes the rest of the world gets.
We manage to drive across the country with a family in them
Run businesses from them and they are considered to be large vehicles.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure you realise that the midsize trucks you are talking about are the full size dual cab utes the rest of the world gets.
You mean the LX/Runner are ‘large’ overseas and you don’t have the ‘Full Size like the Sequia and Tahoe/Expedition don’t exist over there (mostly)? I realize that. The Tahoe sized ones are too big. I have an Escalade, and when travelling 700 miles in a day with two weeks worth of stuff and 4 people, they are awesome. Every other trip in the city is a pain and a nightmare to park- even here in Colorado with a lot of SUVs. That’s a main reason that I’m looking to downsize. My wife doesn’t want to, since we have college age kids and we’ll look at moving them and we need to carry 6 sometimes- but when it comes down to her taking the Escalade to her parking garage at work, she balks. So I’m stuck with the monster.

That and Snowman’s comments makes me think that Toyota thinks that the 4Runner will be able to fill the 4Runner and Land Cruiser niche. $100k 4Runner? Ehhhhhh, if it has a V8- and then probably not.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know if rear facing car seats are bigger in the US than the rest of the world or not, but they flat out don't work here practically with the mid-sized trucks (well technically you can fit one behind the passenger seat, but then you can't really have a front passenger, so not really, and doubly so if you are trying to get in two). That really is one of the best pluses for the Jeep Gladiator, it has considerably more rear space than say the Colorado without becoming the modern day monstrosities of our full-sized crew cabs.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know if rear facing car seats are bigger in the US than the rest of the world or not, but they flat out don't work here practically with the mid-sized trucks (well technically you can fit one behind the passenger seat, but then you can't really have a front passenger, so not really, and doubly so if you are trying to get in two). That really is one of the best pluses for the Jeep Gladiator, it has considerably more rear space than say the Colorado without becoming the modern day monstrosities of our full-sized crew cabs.
Child seats here are probably the same and have become huge.
It looks to be a fair bit of a struggle for the rear facing baby capsules.
Unfortunately the Jeep range and particularly the Gladiator/Wrangler are so poor on safety that I am not sure I would want to put my grandchildren in one.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
The 4runner is a great rig, but it has a similar struggle that the Wranglers and most of the other domestically available SUVs have - Payload. It seems capped out at around 1300 lbs, if what I've read still rings true. Everybody's needs are different, but when we were a couple that would have been enough. Add a kid and dogs, and we'd be over maxed out; we're already on the edge with nearly 1600 lbs payload and are keen to get into the Gren with 1900+ lbs as that should be plenty for our whole family.

Like I said above, everyone's travel needs are different, but when it comes to car seats not working in mid-size trucks -- well, nobody told me that and so I've been running a car seat in the back of my Canyon for my son for 2.5 years now :D. Rear facing to start, now forward facing. The majority of miles this way have been done with me, my wife, two German Shepherds (one recently passed :(), and him in his seat. We've found it works fine - it's not palatial, but it works. The lack of spaciousness is for sure a compromise, but it was a more palatable compromise than the others we faced. For example, going from mid-size to full-size trucks adds at least a thousand pounds of curb weight (and more weight = harder time off-road) for what is usually only a couple of hundred extra pounds of payload. And the exterior physical dimensions of a full sized rig are tricky enough in North American cities, as you've identified with your comments about full size trucks, and as MileHigh mentioned about the Escalade in the parking garage -- and that's saying something, because NA cities are quite literally designed around these massive vehicles. Anywhere outside of North America they are nearly impossible to use effectively (and travel outside of NA is one of our use cases) though I fully admit for North American adventuring, there are very few places worth going to that a midsize can get to, but a fullsize can't albeit with a greater risk of damage. And, a full size truck will typically get better fuel economy than a loaded mid-sizer; the engines are better mated to the weight of the rig as the mid-sized engines tend to be set up to give their best performance with a near-empty vehicle. But as DaveB said, most of the world uses 'mid size trucks' for all the things North Americans use our full size or even HD trucks for -- tradesman rigs, custom service trucks, adventure vehicles, and daily drivers -- and they get on just fine (though overseas, they are often rated for more capacity and capability than they are in North America)

That's what makes cross-shopping the Grenadier so tricky. Every other vehicle on the market represents a different compromise -- a less appealing compromise to me -- than the Grenadier. With the Defender, the compromise is field serviceability, reliability, and general complexity. With the Wrangler, it's payload and on-road handling/driver experience. With mid-sized trucks, it's cabin space. With the 4-runner, it's almost perfect but the compromise is that it's just a little bit short on everything -- a little short on capability, a little short on simplicity, a little short on approach/departure/breakover, a little short on payload, a little short on "reasonably priced" -- but it is so close to being legendarily perfect for Overland applications; honestly if it was a little short on being a little short on so many things I'd probably be driving one, but being "a little short" on so many things rules it out for me. The Lexus (Lexi?) offerings are ugly as can be, I think, but they are otherwise great performance wise -- but they are expensive, and way too fancy to be kicking the crap out of new ones off-road unless someone lights their cigars with $100 bills. I've also never driven a Lexus that had "character"; the little something that makes a Land Cruiser a Land Cruiser is missing with the ultra-luxe Lexus, as it is with the new 300 series in my opinion.

Since the Grenadier was announced, we've had a new Defender, a new Bronco, a new Frontier, a new Grand Wagoneer, and more - and all of them compromise in ways that are more impactful to my use case than the Grenadier. Not many companies seem willing to be content with a 25,000/year production and sales target, so they water down their offering to appeal to more people, which makes them less useful for me -- but that's all the more reason to hang tight to my reservation for a grenadier!

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
Wow, you get through your vehicles.

Having bought vehicles with lower sales/production figures in the past, I worry that the Grenadier is already giving in to mass market frippery...
Sorry - I meant “we” as in consumers. I’m not that flush with cash where I’ve owned each of them! I’ve looked at them closely but not owned them personally for the reasons I have described.

I’ve not seen too much evidence of the Gren compromising the vision for the market. It’s been compromised due to regulations, but that’s the game they need to play in order to sell this thing.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here you go... a great review of the new 2023 Defender x.
This salesman really knows his stuff.
He is describing the raised exhaust on the A pillar because everyone knows when you go through deep water you need to make sure your exhaust can get out.

1666504297750.png

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
He is describing the raised exhaust on the A pillar because everyone knows when you go through deep water you need to make sure your exhaust can get out.

That was hilarious - thought it was a parody at first, but no…..

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7795071
He has got to be kidding me. A real professional. I find it very embarrassing. But, unfortunately, there will also be people who believe him...😨

Local time
5:49 PM
Reaction score
The 4runner is a great rig, but it has a similar struggle that the Wranglers and most of the other domestically available SUVs have - Payload. It seems capped out at around 1300 lbs, if what I've read still rings true. Everybody's needs are different, but when we were a couple that would have been enough. Add a kid and dogs, and we'd be over maxed out; we're already on the edge with nearly 1600 lbs payload and are keen to get into the Gren with 1900+ lbs as that should be plenty for our whole family.

Like I said above, everyone's travel needs are different, but when it comes to car seats not working in mid-size trucks -- well, nobody told me that and so I've been running a car seat in the back of my Canyon for my son for 2.5 years now :D. Rear facing to start, now forward facing. The majority of miles this way have been done with me, my wife, two German Shepherds (one recently passed :(), and him in his seat. We've found it works fine - it's not palatial, but it works. The lack of spaciousness is for sure a compromise, but it was a more palatable compromise than the others we faced. For example, going from mid-size to full-size trucks adds at least a thousand pounds of curb weight (and more weight = harder time off-road) for what is usually only a couple of hundred extra pounds of payload. And the exterior physical dimensions of a full sized rig are tricky enough in North American cities, as you've identified with your comments about full size trucks, and as MileHigh mentioned about the Escalade in the parking garage -- and that's saying something, because NA cities are quite literally designed around these massive vehicles. Anywhere outside of North America they are nearly impossible to use effectively (and travel outside of NA is one of our use cases) though I fully admit for North American adventuring, there are very few places worth going to that a midsize can get to, but a fullsize can't albeit with a greater risk of damage. And, a full size truck will typically get better fuel economy than a loaded mid-sizer; the engines are better mated to the weight of the rig as the mid-sized engines tend to be set up to give their best performance with a near-empty vehicle. But as DaveB said, most of the world uses 'mid size trucks' for all the things North Americans use our full size or even HD trucks for -- tradesman rigs, custom service trucks, adventure vehicles, and daily drivers -- and they get on just fine (though overseas, they are often rated for more capacity and capability than they are in North America)

That's what makes cross-shopping the Grenadier so tricky. Every other vehicle on the market represents a different compromise -- a less appealing compromise to me -- than the Grenadier. With the Defender, the compromise is field serviceability, reliability, and general complexity. With the Wrangler, it's payload and on-road handling/driver experience. With mid-sized trucks, it's cabin space. With the 4-runner, it's almost perfect but the compromise is that it's just a little bit short on everything -- a little short on capability, a little short on simplicity, a little short on approach/departure/breakover, a little short on payload, a little short on "reasonably priced" -- but it is so close to being legendarily perfect for Overland applications; honestly if it was a little short on being a little short on so many things I'd probably be driving one, but being "a little short" on so many things rules it out for me. The Lexus (Lexi?) offerings are ugly as can be, I think, but they are otherwise great performance wise -- but they are expensive, and way too fancy to be kicking the crap out of new ones off-road unless someone lights their cigars with $100 bills. I've also never driven a Lexus that had "character"; the little something that makes a Land Cruiser a Land Cruiser is missing with the ultra-luxe Lexus, as it is with the new 300 series in my opinion.

Since the Grenadier was announced, we've had a new Defender, a new Bronco, a new Frontier, a new Grand Wagoneer, and more - and all of them compromise in ways that are more impactful to my use case than the Grenadier. Not many companies seem willing to be content with a 25,000/year production and sales target, so they water down their offering to appeal to more people, which makes them less useful for me -- but that's all the more reason to hang tight to my reservation for a grenadier!
What about the 3rd gen/2023 sequoia?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's all well and good until you get bogged or roll it over. Or indeed have to lift a tyre....

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I could swallow the brave pill, I reckon this company make a superb range of vehicles.

"This IBEX was bred for racing. 500bhp driving those 37” tyres. 16” of suspension travel. Super heavy duty drivetrain with diff locks everywhere. A central winch pulls both front and rear off a single line. There’s even a winch to pull it back on to it’s tyres should it land on it’s roof. Competition roll cage. Full underbody armour. A fuel tank that seals itself if pierced. Bullet proof double beadlock wheels and tyres that will run with no air. Oh, and it has lots of fancy lights.

This IBEX is a beast and it does beastly things.

But this is not enough… that drivetrain is designed to bounce 1000hp off boulders. The torsionally stiff chassis resists high driveline torque. There’s a better way to drive traction through large tyres over obstacles that fight back… we’re painting the next one green."

View attachment 7794250
But it cannot carry any gear/kit.

Back
Top Bottom