The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Cross-Shopping?

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
What about the 3rd gen/2023 sequoia?

Was hopeful the new sequoia was going to be a more affordable / close consolation prize to the global LandCruiser since that is now discontinued in the states (and which was never positioned properly anyway). But instead it is more expensive and less competitive than every competitor in its class in every metric (3rd row and cargo space and configuration is laughably inadequate; driving manners are worse than the previous generation somehow; it now lacks even the option for a full time 4x4 or 4Auto setting of any kind; styling only a mother could love; and with the new powertrain, while its power is now 'on par' with the competition, any claim of being more reliable is out the window).

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
What about the 3rd gen/2023 sequoia?
It's a great rig in some ways, built on the same platform as the Tundra and the new Land Cruiser. But it has some disadvantages:

First, it's huge. It has all the disadvantages of a Tundra in terms of it's ability to fit places without panel damage.
Second, it maxes out payload at about 1300 lbs. For a rig that size, that's not very much.
Third, it's 4x4 system isn't a "true" 4x4 system; it's essentially an AWD and I'm not sure if the computerized trickery will make it as capable off road as some of what JLR is putting out there.
Fourth, it starts at $80k CAD. Thats where I anticipate the Grenadier to be, and you get a lot more truck for the money in the Grenadier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Ford Ranger latest offering isn't going to trouble the Grenadier dual cab ute when it finally arrives.
2nd best selling ute after the hilux and it doesn't impress Alan too much

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
jokes GIF

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's a great rig in some ways, built on the same platform as the Tundra and the new Land Cruiser. But it has some disadvantages:

First, it's huge. It has all the disadvantages of a Tundra in terms of it's ability to fit places without panel damage.
Second, it maxes out payload at about 1300 lbs. For a rig that size, that's not very much.
Third, it's 4x4 system isn't a "true" 4x4 system; it's essentially an AWD and I'm not sure if the computerized trickery will make it as capable off road as some of what JLR is putting out there.
Fourth, it starts at $80k CAD. Thats where I anticipate the Grenadier to be, and you get a lot more truck for the money in the Grenadier.
While the previous Sequoia had full-time 4wd (AWD), the refreshed version has a part time, two speed lockable transfer case. And with off-road packages you get Toyota's capable off road traction systems AND a locker rear diff. That's going to be as capable as most trucks out there, really only lacking a front diff lock.

Michael Gain

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
While the previous Sequoia had full-time 4wd (AWD), the refreshed version has a part time, two speed lockable transfer case. And with off-road packages you get Toyota's capable off road traction systems AND a locker rear diff. That's going to be as capable as most trucks out there, really only lacking a front diff lock.
We are looking at the sequoia refresh as well. I was actually pretty impressed with the new specs. The interior is better than a lot of newer vehicles as well.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw a snippet on CarBuzz (which should certainly be taken with a large pinch of salt) that suggests Toyota might bring the Land Cruiser back to the States. But it also said that the truck is in such demand that there’s already multi-year wait times.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
If I didn´t get a grenadier... (oh my god, that would be terrible), what else could I do (buy)?

IDEA 1: As I use an old Toyota, and it is a very nice car without ANY problems, I thought about an GRJ76, a new one, and tune it up to "THOR" or any kind this way. But the prices for Toyota have been rising, from 45.000 Euro to about 60.000 Euro in only one year, and you have to wait nine months to get one.
The GRJ76 needs a lot of fuel (16-18l/100km), but it has a manual transmission, which I still prefer. The quality of the cabin is okay, but not more. What I like on Toyota ist to drive (and not to repair like my defender friend does) - and I have a very VERY good workshop here in Ellingen (Bavaria), the boys from Desert Tec.

IDEA 2: This year a was able to drive a jeep wrangler unlimited 3.6 automatic for the first time.´ I was surprised, it was nice to drive, I had fun. Well, you don´t have so much space in the car - but you have other options to play - big tires (37``), pop-up-roof (many different kinds available). I think I would take a used 2.7 CRD (200 horse powers - my girl friend wants a diesel in an offroad car, okay for me) unlimited with manual transmission. The prices start at 33.000 Euro, these cars are allready seven years old. One Question: Can anyone tell my why a jeep wrangler allways has to be black?

IDEA 3: I don´t buy anything, but put my money and make my 27 years old toyota as new as it can be - this will take about 15.000 - 20.000 Euro. Then I buy some nice parts for it, inside, outside, another 20.000 Euro: Bigger tires (9.0 or 255/100-16), pop-up-roof, and so on....

BUT NO, NO, NO! I sit here, and will not move until my new INEOS GRENADIER will arrive in nuremberg. Every day I take a look on the ineos website, like a junky, that ist cruel - no new informations. In my contract they wrote something about february - so I hope and wait and hope and wait ...

GREAT THANKS to the forum - so I don´t feel alone with my little nice problems - because they are little and nice - YOU SEE what a big problem is, when you are in a hospital - WAITING HERE ist NOT a big problem - it ist much more funny than many other things, believe me.... :) SEE YOU!

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
IDEA 2: This year a was able to drive a jeep wrangler unlimited 3.6 automatic for the first time.´ I was surprised, it was nice to drive, I had fun. Well, you don´t have so much space in the car - but you have other options to play - big tires (37``), pop-up-roof (many different kinds available). I think I would take a used 2.7 CRD (200 horse powers - my girl friend wants a diesel in an offroad car, okay for me) unlimited with manual transmission. The prices start at 33.000 Euro, these cars are allready seven years old. One Question: Can anyone tell my why a jeep wrangler allways has to be black?

jeep_1.jpg

jeep_2.jpg

jeep_3.jpg

:D

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I'll always be jealouse of the Europeans for being able to spec a Diesel jeep with a manual transmission. Us North Americans can only drool and hope - and if we even want a diesel, it's a $12,000 dollar option on a $60,000 car!!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here's a few alternatives to the Grenadier that my Grenadier dealer builds
I looked through them and the factory last week.
I guarantee they will be making some high quality and well engineered mods/accessories for the Grenadier.

Too many trucks

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts, by a combination of build delays and order timing it appears that the Toyota Hilux invincible x will finally arrive in Feb after an 18month wait. It looks like my Grenadier will turn up summer next year. We'll use both and which ever comes out on top stays, the loser will be sold, simple as that, I do hope that the Grenadier is going to be reliable but proof is in the pudding etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom