The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
I’m sure I saw an underbody plate on one of the prototypes at the scone game fair.
I don’t know why it never became an option.
I had a big stick whack the underside of mine last week. No damage thankfully. I’d have ordered the underbody protection if it had been available.

AWo

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
MO underbody armour like that is for rock crawlers.
I have all terrain types here, and know that the one thing that will cause expensive (very expensive) damage is rocky terrain.
Many countries don't even see rain...let alone mud , spinifex, roadkill etc
In the workshop I went in and out of a friend of mine used to be a "wall of bad luck". We collected broken parts (and the stories behind) from our journeys. My contribution was a cracked axle stub washer which lead to a lost wheel and drive shaft of my Series 2a. Different story...

One thing which also hung there was a two thumbs thick, maybe 30 cm long wooden branch from a tree. It drilled itself into a plastic fuel tank of a Mercedes G pur.

AWo

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If buying from the likes of SPP and not wanting to spend €3000 plus. Which would be the absolute essential areas to protect? I guessing, start with gearbox?

Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
I attached steel diff covers to my Disco. $100 the pair , used but undamaged!
I'd like a well priced steel sump cover and maybe an uprated front belly pan.
I'll wait and see what the aftermarket comes up with.
I really don't want to wave my tail too hard in the mouth of the damage fox , so I'll leave the heroics to affluencers and influencers.
affluencers, influencers and On The Fencers...still trying to decide. I'm not a mechanic. What if it craps out in Kansas? Not from hard wear but incomplete design or hasty execution.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If buying from the likes of SPP and not wanting to spend €3000 plus. Which would be the absolute essential areas to protect? I guessing, start with gearbox?
Ask @Logsplitter how his fuel tank guard is holding up. I would think gearbox, diffs, and eventual strengthened versions of the factory front/rear plates.

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
They mostly likely left it to third party to do, in Europe they have SPP for this. Here in the US and separately in Australia/New Zealand we need to work together to get one hundred vendors who build this protection to get on Ineos Grenadier band wagon. I partial to Next Venture Motor Sports Skids, I plan on going up to see them when I get back to up Durango.

SPP who had Ineos skid plates https://spp-industries.com/en/produ...Ni7yjTQwS-a1MlPXBcMLVRhyZk776aqo-u6rz7IfG8r8o.

Who I like to get to build plates https://nextventuremotorsports.com/
The SPP parts will be availible just a short distance from Durango at Adrenaline HQ https://www.adrenalinevans.com/ineos-grenadier

Local time
Reaction score
I think expense, not weight, is the reason these got cut. Good 1/4 plate steel that will support the truck no matter the odd cuts needed for prop shafts and exhaust fluid access etc gets near a couple hundred pounds, depending on the truck, but that's not what manufacturers usually make. They can stamp ridges in high tensile steel sheet and get 80% of the goodness at 1/2 the weight. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker on the fat lady here.

This is a low volume truck from a manufacturer that can't write off dime on any other product, using a body and frame the equal to any Gwagon. That costs $$$$$$$. They were bleeding cash, the final unit was over target cost already, they had to hit a timeline for deliveries, and they took a hatchet to anything a bean counter or marketing guy didn't think necessary, and development stopped before the product was totally baked.

We all view the world from our own experiences. After spending a couple decades managing projects for some rather large corporations, and having managed a plant myself, I see budget constraints all over the place in this rig. As a vendor, every couple years someone I report to gets promoted, fired or retired. Invariably the new guy comes in and starts to rant about how poor the facilities are and what an ass his predecessor was, and my response is always the same. It's safer to assume the guy before you was genius, that he got done what he did, with the budget he had, than to think this place stayed in business for 100 years and grosses 15b because everyone but you is a moron.

Money drives all busses.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ask @Logsplitter how his fuel tank guard is holding up. I would think gearbox, diffs, and eventual strengthened versions of the factory front/rear plates.
Agreed with your thinking on protection plates. The fuel tank guard is holding up fine , not much paint left and small deformations but all good. But yes diff and gearbox guards for a starter. 👍🏼

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
May as well cover the propshafts! ;)
You should check out some of trail around Grand Junction and Fruita Colorado, they also close to Moab, which why you see the plate the way they are. It little drier out there unless we see monsoon. and snow in the winter.

Local time
Reaction score
In the workshop I went in and out of a friend of mine used to be a "wall of bad luck". We collected broken parts (and the stories behind) from our journeys. My contribution was a cracked axle stub washer which lead to a lost wheel and drive shaft of my Series 2a. Different story...

One thing which also hung there was a two thumbs thick, maybe 30 cm long wooden branch from a tree. It drilled itself into a plastic fuel tank of a Mercedes G pur.

AWo
I have one in the shed at home called the million dollar wall. It only has two bent conrods and parts of a turbo from industrial engines.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Was it that the skid plates were made too near to Putin? so were not allowed in EU so had to. be dropped I have seen several actually fitted also if you dig out the SA. video there is one on that I believe.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
You should check out some of trail around Grand Junction and Fruita Colorado, they also close to Moab, which why you see the plate the way they are. It little drier out there unless we see monsoon. and snow in the winter.
I'd check it out, but I live about as far away as you can get!
I watched the channel 4x4 24/7 boys from Australia tackle Moab etc last year, including a diesel Toyota on 35s shipped over from Australia.

Local time
Reaction score
Unrelated to the plates... It's fun seeing all these companies that had "vans" in their name rebrand themselves for the Grenadier marketplace :)
It is more fun seeing a new to market, low volume, and niche as all hell vehicle have substantial and enthusiastic aftermarket support from proven US manufacturers within months of the first US vehicle being delivered.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
May as well cover the propshafts! ;)

Absolutely could be done with hinged and swiveling mounting points at the diff and just behind the transfer case. Probably too costly to make fully capable of long term abuse with all the nuances required. This is one spot where IFS/IRS wins. The driveshafts are always up and out of the way. They can also be run inside an enclosure.

Still, it's fun to dream. 🤔

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
It is more fun seeing a new to market, low volume, and niche as all hell vehicle have substantial and enthusiastic aftermarket support from proven US manufacturers within months of the first US vehicle being delivered.
This. Thank you @Onefin.

Ineos never claimed to be building a vehicle that was turn-key ready for every possible use. Many of the early PTO tour guys said there was stuff that would be left for the aftermarket to solve so customers can pick what they want to adapt this jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none vehicle for their use case.
If rocks are a problem for you, get some under protection. If you have range anxiety (hello fellow Aussies) stay tuned for auxiliary tank options. If you need more energy on your campsite then upgrade the electrics and add some solar panels. etc.

IA's mantra is 'built on purpose', not 'built for every purpose'. If they anticipated every use case the vehicle would be heavier and every single customer would be paying for something they don't need or won't use.

Build it for what you need and have some fun doing it, like you've done with every other rig you owned. Don't let something that you wish it came with take away the enjoyment of what you have. Support the aftermarket.

Peace out 🤟🧘‍♂️.

Back
Top Bottom