The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi Unfortunately it is not all sorted.
The only help so far is that from the forum in enabling me to release the vehicle allowing it to be transported to southern Spain.
Neutralised the gearbox and disconnected the rear prop shaft.
Thank you all.

Spoke to Ineos CS team now 3 times.
They are utterly useless and haven’t offered any solutions as to how to get to a dealership, which dealership best to go to, ship the gearbox part to the appropriate location, etc, etc.
They also gave me the an European assistance number 00800 33228877 which is apparently the AA Ducati number!!

Has anyone any experience of getting a major issue dealt with abroad and essentially in southern Spain?
Obviously doesn’t help being Easter but there is the dealership in Malaga and service dealership in Seville as being the nearest.
Does anyone know which one would be best to approach??

Thanks again for your help.

Paul - suggest you message Logsplitter I know he has had to contact INEOS for help while in Africa.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Disconnected rear prop shaft and neutral screw and car free wheeled off trailer in park.
Just got to get into Europe on the back of a new trailer in the morning and then long lug home via hopefully Ineos AA.
Ordered new transmission sump tray already so hopefully back in shape before end of next week.
Will be investing in further underbody protection before next trip1
My independent mechanic commented when the vehicle was on the lift for her first oil change at how well the engine was built/protect except for a "bare ass" area of no protection /plastic covering that a stick could puncture and leave you totally stranded in the back country!!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Late to the game here. But the gearbox filter pan is a generic ZF 8HP unit as far as I can tell. And the fluid is lifeguard 8. You can get this part at any dealer that has these installed to their vehicles, it’s extremely common.

The gearbox is incredibly sensitive to fluid level. Too low and it won’t shift at all. I can provide the LR instructions for changing the fluid and pan if you like.
The only thing that may be different off the top of my head is the thermostat opening temperature. Maybe @anand can get this info for us quicker than I can.

Edit. Here is a link to the info on a parts site. It’s accurate from my experience.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I hope the guy can get this sorted asap. None of us ever want to be in thus situation.
On a related note , do we think an alloy sump would be a better investment than a sump guard?

Reactions: PBD

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
And would an aluminum sump be any stronger than a plastic one in terms of taking a hit?
There’s a aftermarket steel version that the ford guys use with a separate filter. But then you have issues with the gasketing and getting a good seal. My long term preference will be for some steel protection covering the original pan.

When I saw there was no protection of the gearbox sump it was one of those “what were you guys smoking when you decided to do this” moments when I saw the pto vehicles on the ramps.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There’s a aftermarket steel version that the ford guys use with a separate filter. But then you have issues with the gasketing and getting a good seal. My long term preference will be for some steel protection covering the original pan
A knight with armour, as opposed to just a strong heart!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have said it before, but the worst offender for trying to sabotage the Ineos Grenadier being a success is Ineos themselves !!

I am sure that Mr Ratcliffe would be one of only a few deemed to be worthy of a flying spanner if he broke down on one of his African adventures, but I am sure he wouldn’t be very happy if he realised other were being left stranded. Especially after the promises and past marketing.

It’s a crying shame, I will say however Logsplitter does seem to have had a better experience than the OP.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope the guy can get this sorted asap. None of us ever want to be in thus situation.
On a related note , do we think an alloy sump would be a better investment than a sump guard?

I'm not a materials engineer, but at these thicknesses it's likely that cast alloy or pressed steel have a similar yield strength to glass reinforced plastic. Up to a point plastic will yield then return to its original shape. Steel sheet and cast alloy deform and crack.
These guys sell an alloy pan but their selling points are better cooling plus cost saving due to the replaceable filter. I want to think if they had objective evidence that alloy was stronger than plastic in this application they would market on that point (their lawyers probably told them not to).

Body crumple zones exist to keep impact loads out of the cabin. Perhaps part of ZF's thinking is if an impact likely to cause damage is going to occur, the plastic pan takes one for the team to save the valve body and main housing.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Body crumble zones exist to keep impact loads out of the cabin. Perhaps part of ZF's thinking is if an impact likely to cause damage is going to occur, the plastic pan takes one for the team to save the valve body and main housing.
Which is my thinking -external armour is best at protecting the soft underparts.
A bt more weight to carry around for sure .Tradeoffs every where in 4x4 land.

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I seem to remember a post on the forum where a company had developed a whole under body protection system for the IG.

May well be useful to add it here for the real serious off roaders amongst us.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I seem to remember a post on the forum where a company had developed a whole under body protection system for the IG.

May well be useful to add it here for the real serious off roaders amongst us.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom