The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
Hi Unfortunately it is not all sorted.
The only help so far is that from the forum in enabling me to release the vehicle allowing it to be transported to southern Spain.
Neutralised the gearbox and disconnected the rear prop shaft.
Thank you all.

Spoke to Ineos CS team now 3 times.
They are utterly useless and haven’t offered any solutions as to how to get to a dealership, which dealership best to go to, ship the gearbox part to the appropriate location, etc, etc.
They also gave me the an European assistance number 00800 33228877 which is apparently the AA Ducati number!!

Has anyone any experience of getting a major issue dealt with abroad and essentially in southern Spain?
Obviously doesn’t help being Easter but there is the dealership in Malaga and service dealership in Seville as being the nearest.
Does anyone know which one would be best to approach??

Thanks again for your help.
For what it’s worth…I’ve provided below some for the limited information Ineos provided me while I was enquiring on the status of ‘flying spanners’

EU RSA Numbers:

European Roadside Services (from a mobile phone): 00 33 825 87 89 83

European Roadside Services: 00 33 4 72 17 12 05

European Roadside Services: 00 800 33 22 88 77

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE ONLY provides cover for the Eligible Vehicle if driven by an Authorised Driver.

EU countries covered:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and Vatican City.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm on a very southern island (next step: Antarctica) with very sketchy mobile phone coverage.
I'm certainly not expecting any "Flying Spanner".
I'm just expecting my preparedness will retrieve me from any "negative situation".

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
For what it’s worth…I’ve provided below some for the limited information Ineos provided me while I was enquiring on the status of ‘flying spanners’

EU RSA Numbers:

European Roadside Services (from a mobile phone): 00 33 825 87 89 83

European Roadside Services: 00 33 4 72 17 12 05

European Roadside Services: 00 800 33 22 88 77

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE ONLY provides cover for the Eligible Vehicle if driven by an Authorised Driver.

EU countries covered:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and Vatican City.
Happy to see that Vatican City is on the list. Next time i am offroading there i know i am safe.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Happy to see that Vatican City is on the list. Next time i am offroading there i know i am safe.
They've got a history of being ready with these Magna-Steyrmobiles
Papamobil-Johannes-Paul-II-Kopie.jpg

Reactions: PBD

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The subject of “flying spanners“ came up during the Brisbane Ineos Q and A last month.
The guys shied away from it to some extent, admitting that it would be a process of elimination for someone who was stranded, starting with phone tech support to get to the crux of the problem, then can we gwt parts to you and if not mobile get you to somewhere that had someone competent enough to do any repairs, to getting you on a flatbed to where that might happen. The point where they might actually put someone on a plane was a long long way down the list. And let’s face it, no manufacturer would go to that sort of effort I’d suggest. And I always assumed that the flying spanners was something that they would set up to cover a limited level of service agents in the initial years, more than the ultimate recovery service for warranty level breakdowns.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
A protection plate for the diffs is on my list to. I must of knocked the rear diff cover on one of the rock roads I was travelling on. The diff cover had shifted slightly and gasket not sealing properly. So causing a slight leak. A slight tightening of the diff cover and a top up for oil seems to have done the trick for now but will be getting a proper check over in due course

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 60

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The subject of “flying spanners“ came up during the Brisbane Ineos Q and A last month.
The guys shied away from it to some extent, admitting that it would be a process of elimination for someone who was stranded, starting with phone tech support to get to the crux of the problem, then can we gwt parts to you and if not mobile get you to somewhere that had someone competent enough to do any repairs, to getting you on a flatbed to where that might happen. The point where they might actually put someone on a plane was a long long way down the list. And let’s face it, no manufacturer would go to that sort of effort I’d suggest. And I always assumed that the flying spanners was something that they would set up to cover a limited level of service agents in the initial years, more than the ultimate recovery service for warranty level breakdowns.
So in 2024 we have virtual spanners.
That makes sense.
At least they're not AI.
Hang on a minute...

• Haha
Reactions: PBD

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In reality you get a sorry massage that's it.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A protection plate for the diffs is on my list to. I must of knocked the rear diff cover on one of the rock roads I was travelling on. The diff cover had shifted slightly and gasket not sealing properly. So causing a slight leak. A slight tightening of the diff cover and a top up for oil seems to have done the trick for now but will be getting a proper check over in due course
Are you sure the cover leaked? I assume you checked breathers.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you sure the cover leaked? I assume you checked breathers.
Initial thought was the breathers. Definitely the cover. I was there with the technician checking the vehicle over. The cover fasteners definitely needed nipping up a bit. After tightening the fasteners and topping up the oil no more dripping. 👍🏼

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Initial thought was the breathers. Definitely the cover. I was there with the technician checking the vehicle over. The cover fasteners definitely needed nipping up a bit. After tightening the fasteners and topping up the oil no more dripping. 👍🏼
Good you had the oil with you

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
Boy, this thread is just chocked full of bad news for remote travel in this thing.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am assuming it never made it to any of the production models, but a good lot of the US PTO2 vehicles that had little diff locks also had bash guards/skid plates under each diff housing... They were quite small but did the job and would be easy to reproduce

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Boy, this thread is just chocked full of bad news for remote travel in this thing.
Not at all. I’ve pushed my vehicle hard and although I’ve had a few issues I’ve also managed to carry on traveling. The leaking oil on the diff was of my making on some terrible mountain passes. I’ve done similar routes a few years back in my Hilux and broke leaf springs, shock absorbers and oil seals trashed, managed to get to a workshop also with some bush fixes.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am assuming it never made it to any of the production models, but a good lot of the US PTO2 vehicles that had little diff locks also had bash guards/skid plates under each diff housing... They were quite small but did the job and would be easy to reproduce
I’ll be looking into some underbody protection for sure. But bearing in mind the routes that we’ve tackled, I think it’s survived remarkably well 👍🏼

Local time
Reaction score
When you ride hard shit happens.

If you ride hard shit happens. No matter how tough the car is.

Ohhh'kay. :) Now, If only these were "ride hard" issues, I'd be with ya. I'm bettin' this wasn't a pritchet canyon run that poked a hole in the tranny.

Aside from the hyperbole, I was mostly referring to the lack of parts and support.

Back
Top Bottom