The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
not available yet . they appear in the catalogue but no price . already inquired ages ago .

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
It would be good if they just put the CAD drawing out, so third parties could make them.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
They went to the same place that the gull wing rear windows went. Room 101 I think.
They were both in the round file.

Difficult People Reaction GIF by HULU

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
They went to the same place that the gull wing rear windows went. Room 101 I think.
Third room on the left? Or is 101 with the pool on the roof?

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thought I would give a quick update on the resolution to my predicament. Having rolled a rock in a deep snow filled puddle, the result was a cracked transmission sump on the evening before a long bank holiday weekend, during Ramadan, in Morocco. Whilst we managed to get out of Morocco via a 6 hour flatbed trip, I thought we would get some better assistance form IA when in Europe. That turned out to be rubbish, IA customer service remained utterly useless and IA European Assistance similar. In fact the first number I was given by IA was the Ducatti AA helpline!

Faced with the following choice: -

• wait 4 days for the two southern Spain dealerships to open, order the non-stock sump, and then a wait for it to arrive, however long that might be.
  • arrange the potential recovery of the car which could take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive back in the UK.
With little confidence IA would expedite the replacement sump I took it upon myself to investigate a repair with the aid of a friend. With the sump removed we proceeded to sand off the fins to the plastic sump, Dremel out the crack from the outside (as the crack was directly above the sealed filter), apply 2 thick coats of araldite, 1 tube of epoxy putty and 5 litres of the most expensive transmission oil ever from a friendly BMW dealership, the repair was made. Didn’t lose a drop on the 750 miles home and pleasingly the new sump was fitted earlier this week by the very helpful dealership being Harwoods in Portsmouth.

View attachment 1712872593416.jpeg 1712872657159.jpeg

A few other repairs required underneath, and a few lessons learnt before the return to Morocco in September: -

• However unlucky rolling a rock up into the centre of the car was, full underbody protection must be fitted.
  • Probably fit the Eibach performance lift springs with new 17 x 7.5”rims and 285 70 r17 tyres raising the car a valuable 2”
  • Prior to travelling to remote parts I will be making contact with the most local IA repair centres directly beforehand.
A big thank you to those who helped with advice, did research on part numbers, and was generally just there for me. The Forum remains the most useful source of help and support, 24 hours a day! It’s a shame IA continue to fail its aftersales service either though providing a promised parts / technical manual or just having an effective customer service team with technical backup.

One last thing is I have an outstanding C/S case number which was created on 29th March. My last contact with IA was 31st March and as far as they are aware I could still be stuck in Spain!!

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
Though an aluminum pan may not have survived a direct rock hit, it should still be better than the original plastic pan. There are alternatives available for ZF transmissions, but unsure if there is an exact fit for the one in the Grenadier.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 9

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
looks like good idea, from the website, it going to be same pan, nice to know you can get more permeant cover

"The factory plastic trans pan is discarded each time you do a ZF 8HP70 transmission service. Upgrade to a permanent solution with better performance benefits.

PPE has engineered an exclusive cast aluminum pan with a replaceable filter (included), which means unlike the factory part there is no need to discard the factory pan assembly when you service your ZF transmission. This eliminates the high cost of replacing the factory pan. Now simply drain, replace the filter, and refill."

This one is for the BMW and Supra https://ppepower.com/collections/tr...50-850re-8hp70-8hp75-heavy-duty-cast-aluminum

Jeep/Dodge OEM Equivalent Part # 68225344AA

(8HP45 - 845RE - 8HP50 - 850RE - 8HP70 - 8HP75)

BMW OEM Equivalent Part # 24-11-8-612-901 _ (2010 to current).

MK-V SUPRA

But I would call them about the fit

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
@PC01 I trust you now have that repaired pan hanging in your workshop?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
A big thank you to those who helped with advice, did research on part numbers, and was generally just there for me. The Forum remains the most useful source of help and support, 24 hours a day! It’s a shame IA continue to fail its aftersales service either though providing a promised parts / technical manual or just having an effective customer service team with technical backup.
This statement alone justifies the existence of this forum and the cumulative effort it takes by all members to keep a community alive and independent.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
Though an aluminum pan may not have survived a direct rock hit, it should still be better than the original plastic pan. There are alternatives available for ZF transmissions, but unsure if there is an exact fit for the one in the Grenadier.
While the ali pan may be tougher, I doubt it would have faired any better, the weight of the Grenadier rolling over a rock on the pan could quite possibly have had the same result. Under body protection for similar money I think would be better :)

AWo

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Having rolled a rock in a deep snow filled puddle, the result was a cracked transmission sump
You managed to drive with all things over the rock and only the oil sump cover hit it? I can only imagine that when you enter a slope and the front axle goes downward lowering the belly of the car. Or have you sunk in while driving over the rock?

AWo

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You managed to drive with all things over the rock and only the oil sump cover hit it? I can only imagine that when you enter a slope and the front axle goes downward lowering the belly of the car. Or have you sunk in while driving over the rock?

AWo
The long hole was disguised by a foot and a half of snow.
My guess is the rock was elongated and as it rolled under the front bash plate it flicked up and cracked the transmission pan.
It was a consideration to get the sump protected before we left and having looked at its height above the crossmember and front axle, I decided not to.
Poor decision and one I will be rectifying immediately now the new pan is fitted.

Other damage included: -
Front bash plate dented (did its job) and will probably replace this due to its closeness to the bottom radiator hoses.
Front steering tie rod hit and again will probably replace this as the steering is slightly out of alignment although it doesn't pull to any side.
Steering damper whilst wasn't hit has now a rattly shroud and drives you mad at certain speeds. I think this is a weakness of the part and probably failed due to the rough terrain rather than impact.
Main crossmember was also hit although not badly.
Fuel tank shield also has dents in and will probably replace it.

I will be raising the car with alternative wheel / tyre configuration together with springs.
The springs wont make a difference to the diff height so I will probably look to protect these, as well as the sump and crossmember / subframe.

Back
Top Bottom