The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fridge

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Running a fridge.

As I never ran a powered fridge in a car:

Is this simply plug and play when having the prewiring and second battery ordered?
What is the exact location of the power plugs in the boot?
Initial info was there are different Amp sockets in and outside the car.
I am currently looking to install the Engel SB30 into my setup as we usually only need to cool some cheese, milk, fish or meat.

The info is probably out there, so sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers!
Hi @das mo, yes it should be (depending on if the socket in the rear is wired to the second battery) a matter of plug n play. Make sure you have ventilation for the drawer fridge otherwise it will draw more power. The only problem with the drawer fridges is that items like milk can't be stored upright unless it's in a container no higher than a 375ml beer can. If possible change the socket and the fridge plug to the Anderson style plugs, these are far more secure and generally save you from having either warm beer or off milk! or both!

Attachments

• Despite-the-competition-Engel-is-still-the-market-leader-article-image.jpg
    Despite-the-competition-Engel-is-still-the-market-leader-article-image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 57
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
Running a fridge.

As I never ran a powered fridge in a car:

Is this simply plug and play when having the prewiring and second battery ordered?
What is the exact location of the power plugs in the boot?
Initial info was there are different Amp sockets in and outside the car.
I am currently looking to install the Engel SB30 into my setup as we usually only need to cool some cheese, milk, fish or meat.

The info is probably out there, so sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers!

Well, yes it is simply plug and play, in theory. In practise, you can run the Engel fridge for about two days and nights before worrying about power. With the vehicle at a standstill and fully charged batteries that is. If you don't want to use it for camping out and about, no worries. There is plenty of power for a day or two with the dual batteries.

There don't seem to be any details available on how the two (or three?) batteries are wired/setup on the Grenadier, i.e. whether the fridge will drain both batteries and potentially keep you from starting the vehicle. On a professional setup, the two batteries are being separated mechanically, electrically or electronically when "leisure power" is required without the engine running. That has yet to be seen - and can be retrofitted if required and not there.

One way or the other, you can't go wrong with the SB 30, the wiring supplied with it will most likely reach a socket anywhere in the back, the 12v cable is of substantial quality and some 2 or 2,5m long.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, yes it is simply plug and play, in theory. In practise, you can run the Engel fridge for about two days and nights before worrying about power. With the vehicle at a standstill and fully charged batteries that is. If you don't want to use it for camping out and about, no worries. There is plenty of power for a day or two with the dual batteries.

There don't seem to be any details available on how the two (or three?) batteries are wired/setup on the Grenadier, i.e. whether the fridge will drain both batteries and potentially keep you from starting the vehicle. On a professional setup, the two batteries are being separated mechanically, electrically or electronically when "leisure power" is required without the engine running. That has yet to be seen - and can be retrofitted if required and not there.

One way or the other, you can't go wrong with the SB 30, the wiring supplied with it will most likely reach a socket anywhere in the back, the 12v cable is of substantial quality and some 2 or 2,5m long.
@frankkk the 2 batteries are separated otherwise it would be pointless. The Ctek smartpass has a built in VSR to stop the total discharge of the start battery.

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @das mo, yes it should be (depending on if the socket in the rear is wired to the second battery) a matter of plug n play. Make sure you have ventilation for the drawer fridge otherwise it will draw more power. The only problem with the drawer fridges is that items like milk can't be stored upright unless it's in a container no higher than a 375ml beer can. If possible change the socket and the fridge plug to the Anderson style plugs, these are far more secure and generally save you from having either warm beer or off milk! or both!
Sure.
I did my research on the various fridge types and we are good / love the low profile of the drawer.
Also thinking about adding solar power to the overall setup, but very hard to plan things without more details on IG wiring and battery setup.
As first big trip is planned in July and delivery of vehicle is shifting day by day, I simply want to make sure to have hardware and tooling ready when car finally arrives.
Thanks!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sure.
I did my research on the various fridge types and we are good / love the low profile of the drawer.
Also thinking about adding solar power to the overall setup, but very hard to plan things without more details on IG wiring and battery setup.
As first big trip is planned in July and delivery of vehicle is shifting day by day, I simply want to make sure to have hardware and tooling ready when car finally arrives.
Thanks!
If you are driving daily a solar panel isn't really needed. But I totally agree, wait until we can actually see what the setup is like before going down any path

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes.

Thanks all.

Just need to plan my whole boot luggage setup around the fridge, so therefore want to lock this in asap.

My deep scientific Engel SB30 load testing was positive.

B704F891-D5E5-4A2F-86AA-BC545CD1C9F9.jpeg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
There are more discussions regarding battery set up in the thread “ solar panel installation and set up”. Regarding the Ctek smartpass they do not have voltage sensitive relays as they are incompatible with smart alternators. I will post some more info in the solar panel installation and set up thread so we can use this thread for fridges 👍🏼

Local time
Reaction score
@frankkk the 2 batteries are separated otherwise it would be pointless. The Ctek smartpass has a built in VSR to stop the total discharge of the start battery.

Thanks for that information Mr. Mike..!..The trigger problem does remain, apparently, an additional DC-DC charger would be required for charging performance. Iit has yet to be seen, how the factory setup stands the test of time, I guess...A compressor fridge in hot climates is the ultimate test..:) A Toyota factory setup w dual batteries is hopeless with that task, for instance. You'll need a new set of batteries every couple of months (or even weeks)..

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
I have.....I also have a 72lt National Luna twin and a Bushman 52lt AND a 70lt Trailblaza....My refrigeration mechanic son thinks I have a fridge fetish
Love my bushman! Fantastic fridge/freezer. The biggest to fit in my D1 on a slide without taking up too much space. Custom fitout using every millimetre. I plan to do the same with the grenadier. However shouldn't be over gvm with the grenadier.

Attachments

• IMG-20220104-WA0000~2.jpg
    IMG-20220104-WA0000~2.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 53

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Love my bushman! Fantastic fridge/freezer. The biggest to fit in my D1 on a slide without taking up too much space. Custom fitout using every millimetre. I plan to do the same with the grenadier. However shouldn't be over gvm with the grenadier.
Bushman on a slide in a D1 is great :) Very low power draw too.

Local time
Reaction score

No such thing in EU..:-(

Local time
Reaction score
Well, the Engels have done great for 20 years, readily available, reasonable when on special offer @ US$ 500 and indestructible, so far. No experiments for me, am afraid..:)

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bushman on a slide in a D1 is great :) Very low power draw too.
Was also my reason. I had an autofridge on loan, went to purchase and Leon at botany had packed up shop. They are a fantastic eutectic fridge, a friend would tour and never had the need for a dual battery system. Consumption was low and very efficient.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Was also my reason. I had an autofridge on loan, went to purchase and Leon at botany had packed up shop. They are a fantastic eutectic fridge, a friend would tour and never had the need for a dual battery system. Consumption was low and very efficient.
I have a Eutectic wine fridge for the cheaper wines and a compressor fridge for the good ones.
The Eutectic can only cool to a maximum of 12 degrees below ambient which is not much use in summer.
That puts the wine at 28 degrees
The other one right next to it sits happily on 12 degrees all year round.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that information Mr. Mike..!..The trigger problem does remain, apparently, an additional DC-DC charger would be required for charging performance. Iit has yet to be seen, how the factory setup stands the test of time, I guess...A compressor fridge in hot climates is the ultimate test..:) A Toyota factory setup w dual batteries is hopeless with that task, for instance. You'll need a new set of batteries every couple of months (or even weeks)..
I prefer the Redarc BCDC 1225 to C-Tek stuff, I currently run a Redarc SB12 VSR and a Renogy 60amp DCDC charger with the trigger wire to the + feed from the VSR. Simple, reliable and has a certain amount of redundancy.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Eutectic wine fridge for the cheaper wines and a compressor fridge for the good ones.
The Eutectic can only cool to a maximum of 12 degrees below ambient which is not much use in summer.
That puts the wine at 28 degrees
The other one right next to it sits happily on 12 degrees all year round.
Interesting that Eutectic refrigeration is now almost unavailable, we used to have them on our yacht, very reliable and as you mentioned low power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom