The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fridge

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
I’ve gone for a drawer fridge/freezer, but it will require the rear seat on the forward setting… and even then will be a tight fit if I put it on top of my drawers.
I have more options, as I’ve ordered a 2-seater, but I’m considering this little chap. I only need enough capacity to keep drinks and food for a day or two.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
I have more options, as I’ve ordered a 2-seater, but I’m considering this little chap. I only need enough capacity to keep drinks and food for a day or two.

I’ve seen a similar fridge built right into a drawer system and it seems like a nice low profile option. Just had a brainstorm, admittedly I think a crappy one, but a person could use this in a drawer setup and still mount a traditional fridge on top since there is amply height in the Gren.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve seen a similar fridge built right into a drawer system and it seems like a nice low profile option. Just had a brainstorm, admittedly I think a crappy one, but a person could use this in a drawer setup and still mount a traditional fridge on top since there is amply height in the Gren.

You can see this guy’s setup here. You can see the fridge drawer at about the 19:20 mark.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My wife is just under 5 foot tall, probably a bit shorter than Vera, so she would never see into a chest type fridge
That's why Ikea invented these:
Ikea Bolmen.jpg

A top load fridge can be used to store other items when not being used as a fridge and removed easily if you ever need the extra space. These ones look KickAss and they have anderson plugs already fitted so handy if need to use in a different location around the Grenadier:
https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/buy/kickass-portable-fridge-dualzone-75/KAF-75DZ

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, indeed this is my present Plan B: to modify an existing drawer system, replacing one of the drawers with this fridge.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
See my other answers
Your Bushman looks good but wouldn't suit my needs
Maybe if I put one of these on the back when not offroad
View attachment 7800351

Have a look at this video
I seem to recall that Land Rover had an optional flip down folding step at the back and the same at the sides, so there is an opportunity for some aftermarket people.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I seem to recall that Land Rover had an optional flip down folding step at the back and the same at the sides, so there is an opportunity for some aftermarket people.
There are also hitch-mount step platforms.

Attachments

• 8C06BD03-2639-47B9-97FE-ECF5627B562F.png
    8C06BD03-2639-47B9-97FE-ECF5627B562F.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
@DaveB, I'm all in on a standup versus a chest style. like you I plan on putting down a plywood base bolted to the internal L track. Then I will have the fridge in a cage on top of that.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
I've got the dometix CFX3 55 chest type fridge and it's been great. Bluetooth to your phone allows you to monitor battery voltage and temperature remotely around camp or while driving.

I honestly think the upright fridges work well, but second what's been said about stuff falling out when you open the door! Mums got one in her horsebox and that happens when just driving onroad!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
I've got the dometix CFX3 55 chest type fridge and it's been great. Bluetooth to your phone allows you to monitor battery voltage and temperature remotely around camp or while driving.

I honestly think the upright fridges work well, but second what's been said about stuff falling out when you open the door! Mums got one in her horsebox and that happens when just driving onroad!
You can solve the falling out with a drawer style.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
Yes they are fantastic, but very large, and my wife would never be able to see inside of it.
I have used them before and been very happy with them
The main issues with the Grenadier is not much floor area in the back but plenty of height and nice square opening
The Engel 35 (32L) is 750 deep x 370 wide x 400 high
The Dometic 140 (135L) is 619 deep x 525 Wide x 815 high
The rear of the Grenadier is only 800mm deep so an Engel type would only just fit whereas the Dometic would fit comfortably
The width between the wheel arches is 1,064 so even though the Dometic is 150mm wider it is still only taking up half (49.3%) of the width.
The Engel is 21kg compared to 30.6 almost 70% of the weight for less than 24% of the capacity.

The cold air falling out is correct but as access is easier you have the door open for less time. Particularly if you take something out and everything else fills the hole in the Engel.

The real problem you have nailed is that things fall over easily and extra care needs to be taken but there are accessories for this.
The same can happen in the Engel if it is only half full.

It draws 7.7A max which is a concern but I have gone for the auxiliary battery and Ineos have conveniently supplied a roof switch allowing the auxiliary outlets to be left on when the engine is running.

I could always go for smaller versions of the Dometic but I would rather have more space than I need rather than need more space than I have.
As there is only my wife and myself typically there is plenty of other storage space in the back and with the back seats folded
View attachment 7800345
I understand your concept, and your choice may be better for what you have in mind.

My idea is different. I want to design the interior so that I can sleep in it if needed. So I looked at what Real Defender (RD) concepts look like. Many of the overlanders put the fridge right behind the driver's seat and can pull it out to the side on rails (but can still access it without pulling it out). That's what I have in mind. And so the height of the fridge needs to be limited so that the sleeping platform can still be built over it.

Of course, that's only possible if the rear seats are removed.

If I'm not on a long trip, I would just put the fridge in the back. So for me, the Engel is the way to go - although I'm still hoping it will work out at all but I just won't know until the Grenadier arrives.

For an upright fridge like the Dometic, there will probably be solutions to keep things inside from tipping over.

We'll see. It's an exciting new chapter in outfitting a car for outdoor use. :)

Last edited:

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at installing Dometic 140 Litre upright fridge in the back but make it relatively easy to remove
It weighs 30kg
My thoughts are to put a flat panel across the floor mounted using the utility rail
Then mount a timber cage to that panel.
Slide the fridge in and fasten it off.
Plug the power into the 12vDC socket in the back
It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to install or remove
Instead of pulling into a service centre and buying expensive junk food I can just walk around the back and get something much cheaper and healthier.
Also good when bringing groceries home on the 30-40 minute drive on 35 degree days

View attachment 7800341
I haven't used that particular model but my experience of Dometic fridges is very good. I've a much smaller CFX3 25 model that I use in the car at least twice a week. It's very solidly put together and has been faultless over the last year and a half or so. It wasn't cheap but is a quality product.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score

The only issue I had many years ago with an upright fridge in a hired caravan, was that the aluminium cans stored in the fridge rubbed against each other over 80 km of corrugations and spilled contents everywhere... moral of the story... make sure stuff is packed securely whether upright or 'normal' car fridge..

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
My main concern would be durability...those fridges are made for RV´s and on road use. Off-road use will destroy the Dometic unit sooner or later. Engel, Minus40 and to a certain extent Kissmann seem to be the brands, preferred for heavy duty and/or professional use in high temperatures. Different compressor technology, apparently..

A compressor fridge will drain your batteries in no time on a hot summers day - and they won't be liking that treatment since they are no leisure batteries. You might want to consider a solar panel / MPPT setup for reliablity.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
My main concern would be durability...those fridges are made for RV´s and on road use. Off-road use will destroy the Dometic unit sooner or later. Engel, Minus40 and to a certain extent Kissmann seem to be the brands, preferred for heavy duty and/or professional use in high temperatures. Different compressor technology, apparently..

A compressor fridge will drain your batteries in no time on a hot summers day - and they won't be liking that treatment since they are no leisure batteries. You might want to consider a solar panel / MPPT setup for reliablity.
Agree- you need to ensure that the compressor design has constant mobile operation in mind.
Would also want to have a decent basket and restraint system so your wife doesn’t wear the contents upon opening.

The advantage of a 40lt chest system is it’s to easily relocate alongside vehicle when parked up.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's why Ikea invented these:
View attachment 7800353

A top load fridge can be used to store other items when not being used as a fridge and removed easily if you ever need the extra space. These ones look KickAss and they have anderson plugs already fitted so handy if need to use in a different location around the Grenadier:
https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/buy/kickass-portable-fridge-dualzone-75/KAF-75DZ
KickAss seems to make some great stuff! Their power station seems like a fantastic alternative to a dual battery setup and everything else looks tough as nails.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score

I have the auxiliary battery and these are made for marine use which also has the problem of vibration and jarring shocks through waves

Back
Top Bottom