The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Freedom of speech, yes, but...

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Everyone is free to express their opinion, of course, and to do it as they see fit, but it seems to me that the new attitudes created by social networks lead to strange behaviors, at least so they appear to me. Express your disappointment about everything, imagine that you always have the right that everything is perfect, that you can't get ill, that there is always someone to blame for anything (and I'd like to investigate the presumed perfection of those who ask for perfection from others...). Having said that, and without depriving anyone of any right, I wonder what the continual complaint of serious or presumed defects by those who declare they want to resell the Grenadier leads to. Apart from the fact that in my long history as a motorist I have always heard of real or presumed defects of each brand or model (generally declared by owners of rival brands...), I wonder why those who would like to resell their car are pleased to make them public the defects with the evident result of lowering the price... Well... strange times...

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Everyone is free to express their opinion, of course, and to do it as they see fit, but it seems to me that the new attitudes created by social networks lead to strange behaviors, at least so they appear to me. Express your disappointment about everything, imagine that you always have the right that everything is perfect, that you can't get ill, that there is always someone to blame for anything (and I'd like to investigate the presumed perfection of those who ask for perfection from others...). Having said that, and without depriving anyone of any right, I wonder what the continual complaint of serious or presumed defects by those who declare they want to resell the Grenadier leads to. Apart from the fact that in my long history as a motorist I have always heard of real or presumed defects of each brand or model (generally declared by owners of rival brands...), I wonder why those who would like to resell their car are pleased to make them public the defects with the evident result of lowering the price... Well... strange times...
That is a very valid point. You truly need to read those messages with a grain of salt...

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Some people just like to complain, unfortunately. And, seems like those that complain the most are the most needy as in they cannot change the oil or tires etc. However, some just want to point out all the flaws, big or small, so potential owners will be aware of what might be encountered. Like alvan said though: "I wonder why those who would like to resell their car are pleased to make them public the defects with the evident result of lowering the price." Many times I think the complainers are Land Rover car owners who are just envious of what Sir Jim Ratcliffe has created-the Ineos Grenadier and Quartermaster.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a matter of fact - Ineos uses the very same ingredients in the vehicle as all competition. - So they will have the same (either poor or excellent) results. But. There is one thing. Ineos is a new kid on the block. The problem for some established, competition, a bit jealous, a philosophy that is opposite the current political mainstream, perhaps personal reasons. There are by all manufacturers are bunch of imperfections. Burning Tesla, electronic gremlins in almost any brand, quality issues and so on. Often its like so - the users who have issues will complain - those not having issues often remain silent. - Given the fact Ineos is a new kid on the block, only a couple of vehicles out and generally speaking the number of serious issues are low. - And they really are after fixing the issues.. and Ineos did a hell of work in the short time and during Corona Crisis - all infrastructure, Spareparts and what else.. - and they have not a big automotive company in the back.. Ineos Group is usually B2B and no automotive processing.
For that - I will verify myself in a now forseeable time.

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
Many folks also ignore that, passion project or not, IA is a for profit company and did not attempt to create a perfect vehicle in the Grenadier. No doubt IA endeavored to make it as near perfect as possible, but such efforts are restricted by budget, time, parts availability/supply agreements, etc. Anyone who expects the Grenadier to be perfect will be disappointed.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it's because IA is a new company. People don't want to gamble with a $80K+ car if there's no future for it.
I understand. What I don't understand is that this fear of the new manifests itself after ordering/buying and, having decided, belatedly, that one no longer wants to take the risk of an object that has not been fully tested, and having decided to give up or sell, all publicly to reduce its value. On the other hand, allow me to say, annoying those who are perfectly satisfied...

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Many times I think the complainers are Land Rover car owners who are just envious of what Sir Jim Ratcliffe has created-the Ineos Grenadier and Quartermaster.

I've read this more than once on this forum and it is laughable. The thought that Land Rover owners have a endemic dislike for the Grenadier is easily dispelled if you spend any time on a Defender forum. Firstly, Jim Ratcliffe has achieved what most die-hard Defender owners wanted JLR to do: preserve the original Defender. If you want to see disparaging, take a look at how that group view the new Defender! Secondly, why are there so many Defender owners looking into the Grenadier, if they are "complainers... and envious"?

Sorry but quite a few owners of the Grenadier seem like are doing their best to undermine the vehicle and the brand, to the extent that there is no need for 'help' from the "outside".

I stand by what I said in my other post, quoted here for reference:

"As someone looking at purchasing one, I do find these threads interesting.

The challenge is to navigate between genuine concerns vs personal perception of what is acceptable.

I'm coming at this from a position of owning both classic Defenders (a few purchased new via JLR, the last one being a 2015 90) as well as owning other vehicles produced by small volume manufacturers, as well as classic cars (anything pre-80s).

Discounting the lack of jacket, which I view as an annoyance rather than an issue with the vehicle, then it boils down to quality issues / control.

Reading this forum, some owners seem to have had a problem with water ingress into the footwells - not a deal breaker but a frustration. One owner attributes it to a kink in the door seal, which fixing seems to have rectified the fault. As for the others, not sure whether they have gotten to the bottom of what is causing the problem and resolved it? If this is a reasonably common issue both Ineos and the ADs need to get on top of it because it will stop new customers from committing; given the available cars, I'd suggest the lacklustre reviews, which all seem to focus on: poor mgp, steering feel, wheel turns lock to lock and general below average build quality (including RHD driver's footwell hump) are all contributing to this. Lots of negative forum posts, vlogs and social media posts won't make it better.

I worked closely with an established small volume UK car manufacturer and they always (still do) had (have) quality issues; rarely things that would strand a customer but things that would niggle and frustrate. Price point was/is not dissimilar to the Grenadier. The worst problems stemmed from new to the brand owners because they compared their new car to Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc. The moment you did that, the downward trajectory in satisfaction was set. My advice, after studying the situation for years and across a broad spectrum of owners, was that the manufacturer needed to better educate dealers when it came to new owners and set realistic expectations. In other words: 'this vehicle may not be perfect from new but if there are issues, they will be addressed and rectified at the first, break-in, service.' Of course, this can be delivered more eloquently than my paraphrase but you get the point.

HOWEVER, there was always two issues: firstly, no sales person wants to be honest in the manner required because it could stop a sale. Secondly, even if the salesperson does try to bring expectations in line with reality, the possible owner may have their rose tinted glasses on and when issues occur the response will be 'you said there may be issues BUT I didn't think they would be this 'bad'!

Needless to say, it went nowhere.

Reading this forum, I hope Ineos isn't falling into the same trap - over promising and under delivering, made worse by unrealistic expectations and lack of realistic ones being voiced at purchase and delivery stage.

I will also add that I am a firm believer that people don't remember problems, they remember how they were resolved or not... and if comms are poor at dealer / head office level, this is simply going to exacerbate all of the above."

To conclude, it is always easier to point the finger out an outside group but, in my opinion, a mix of expectations vs reality of a first gen product from a new car company and expectations based on experiences of other, mass manufactured, modern vehicles is what is leading to the situation you describe. Unfortunately, social media, in all of forms, is simply a megaphone for these issues.

Last edited:

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As the owner of a Grenadier and a New Defender I feel your pain. I've had no problems whatsoever with the Grenadier yet all the stuff I've read about seals etc is really quite depressing. I bought it, eyes wide open, as I'd test driven it on the road, so understand its quirks. My heart has ruled my head all along in the ordering and buying and now I'm quite chuffed having changed my plates to one, you know, that looks like the name without vowels - corny but I love it, feels more mine now. But I look at the Defender, which I absolutely love and which is the "go-to car" for dog walks or anything for that matter and I know that's the car I love the most. The Grenadier sits under-used as I churn over the ads for smaller used cars to be the runabout we need as a second car. And yet, and yet.....

But if you think there's too much grief coming the way of Grenadier owners, imagine how it is for owners of New Defenders! Much of it, I have to say, I've come across in Grenadier forums, either here or on Facebook (which is much worse). I was deeply shocked like anyone who saw the pictures of the Defender that ploughed in to the end-of-term school party this week, but I wasn't prepared for the tirade of abuse against Defender owners I found on Twitter. Frankly some of the comments were vile and almost all were unjustified. Alvan is definitely on to something. We live in an increasingly intolerant world where many feel free to say what they like without restraint. At least in this forum, most people seem to be accepting of differing opinions without resorting to insults or sarcasm.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
I've read this more than once on this forum and it is laughable. The thought that Land Rover owners have a endemic dislike for the Grenadier is easily dispelled if you spend any time on a Defender forum. Firstly, Jim Ratcliffe has achieved what most die-hard Defender owners wanted JLR to do: preserve the original Defender. If you want to see disparaging, take a look at how that group view the new Defender! Secondly, why are there so many Defender owners looking into the Grenadier, should they are "complainers... and envious"?

Sorry but quite a few owners of the Grenadier seem like are doing their best to undermine the vehicle and the brand, to the extent that there is no need for 'help' from the "outside".

I stand by what I said in my other post, quoted here for reference:

"As someone looking at purchasing one, I do find these threads interesting.

The challenge is to navigate between genuine concerns vs personal perception of what is acceptable.

I'm coming at this from a position of owning both classic Defenders (a few purchased new via JLR, the last one being a 2015 90) as well as owning other vehicles produced by small volume manufacturers, as well as classic cars (anything pre-80s).

Discounting the lack of jacket, which I view as an annoyance rather than an issue with the vehicle, then it boils down to quality issues / control.

Reading this forum, some owners seem to have had a problem with water ingress into the footwells - not a deal breaker but a frustration. One owner attributes it to a kink in the door seal, which fixing seems to have rectified the fault. As for the others, not sure whether they have gotten to the bottom of what is causing the problem and resolved it? If this is a reasonably common issue both Ineos and the ADs need to get on top of it because it will stop new customers from committing; given the available cars, I'd suggest the lacklustre reviews, which all seem to focus on: poor mgp, steering feel, wheel turns lock to lock and general below average build quality (including RHD driver's footwell hump) are all contributing to this. Lots of negative forum posts, vlogs and social media posts won't make it better.

I worked closely with an established small volume UK car manufacturer and they always (still do) had (have) quality issues; rarely things that would strand a customer but things that would niggle and frustrate. Price point was/is not dissimilar to the Grenadier. The worst problems stemmed from new to the brand owners because they compared their new car to Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc. The moment you did that, the downward trajectory in satisfaction was set. My advice, after studying the situation for years and across a broad spectrum of owners, was that the manufacturer needed to better educate dealers when it came to new owners and set realistic expectations. In other words: 'this vehicle may not be perfect from new but if there are issues, they will be addressed and rectified at the first, break-in, service.' Of course, this can be delivered more eloquently than my paraphrase but you get the point.

HOWEVER, there was always two issues: firstly, no sales person wants to be honest in the manner required because it could stop a sale. Secondly, even if the salesperson does try to bring expectations in line with reality, the possible owner may have their rose tinted glasses on and when issues occur the response will be 'you said there may be issues BUT I didn't think they would be this 'bad'!

Needless to say, it went nowhere.

Reading this forum, I hope Ineos isn't falling into the same trap - over promising and under delivering, made worse by unrealistic expectations and lack of realistic ones being voiced at purchase and delivery stage.

I will also add that I am a firm believer that people don't remember problems, they remember how they were resolved or not... and if comms are poor at dealer / head office level, this is simply going to exacerbate all of the above."

To conclude, it is always easier to point the finger out an outside group but, in my opinion, a mix of expectations vs reality of a first gen product from a new car company and expectations based on experiences of other, mass manufactured, modern vehicles is what is leading to the situation you describe. Unfortunately, social media, in all of forms, is simply a megaphone for these issues.
For anyone who has had the opportunity of viewing a Grenadier in person and driving one, (I did at the Los Angeles off road event) or owning one, it is immediately apparent that Sir Jim and the team at Ineos have created an incredible vehicle that has a combination of built for purpose and a touch of luxury. I for one was sold on first look and again on first drive. Like any vehicle, there are going to be some things that need sorting out, however in the big picture of what's been created, they are minor. If you're seeking perfection you are in the wrong place. If you are seeking adventure, you are in the right place. This vehicle is already iconic and will bring miles of smiles that will easily outweigh any issues. Jump on in the water's fine. DaBull

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm afraid I explained myself badly... Even if completely foreign to my character and my culture, I accept as a traditional practice of automotive passion, the denigration of different brands and cars, or rivals, of your own. As a (classic) Porsche owner I have participated in many forums dedicated to sports cars and I have witnessed, with a bit of irony, the insults that were exchanged. Childish, but normal. It happens in football, as in any other human activity to which you are passionately dedicated, especially if only as a spectator... I wasn't referring to this (incidentally, I don't believe to be correct talking about Land Rover owners in a generic sense, or of Porsche owners; up until a few weeks ago I was a Land Rover owner but I am afraid, in general, to share little of the motivations of a new Land Rover owner, or as a (classic) Porsche owner of the motivations of a 991 or 992 owner, without that this represents a reason for contempt, but only the observation that the world is changing and that behind a common name very different things can be represented). I was referring to those who, having bought a Grenadier, not having appreciated it for some reason, and trying to sell or return it, do everything to devalue it. And this does not seem to me to be a rational behavior, nor fair to those who are satisfied with it. That's all... And today's marketing strategies related to the Internet can also lead to strange thoughts...

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is the my best view of what I see:

Posting of Issue/Observation
+
Replies/opinions based on hearsay, best intentions, conflicting information, conspiracy theories, naysayers venting, sum of best hopes, or answers pulled out of one's ass
=
Inconclusive answers, confusion, no resolution and sudden need for alcohol

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I'm afraid I explained myself badly... Even if completely foreign to my character and my culture, I accept as a traditional practice of automotive passion, the denigration of different brands and cars, or rivals, of your own. As a (classic) Porsche owner I have participated in many forums dedicated to sports cars and I have witnessed, with a bit of irony, the insults that were exchanged. Childish, but normal. It happens in football, as in any other human activity to which you are passionately dedicated, especially if only as a spectator... I wasn't referring to this (incidentally, I don't believe to be correct talking about Land Rover owners in a generic sense, or of Porsche owners; up until a few weeks ago I was a Land Rover owner but I am afraid, in general, to share little of the motivations of a new Land Rover owner, or as a (classic) Porsche owner of the motivations of a 991 or 992 owner, without that this represents a reason for contempt, but only the observation that the world is changing and that behind a common name very different things can be represented). I was referring to those who, having bought a Grenadier, not having appreciated it for some reason, and trying to sell or return it, do everything to devalue it. And this does not seem to me to be a rational behavior, nor fair to those who are satisfied with it. That's all... And today's marketing strategies related to the Internet can also lead to strange thoughts...

Alvan, firstly, and if I am mistaken, please accept my apologies in advance but I see you are from Italy and therefore, if English is not your mother tongue, then 'hats off to you for engaging in a debate in a language that is not your first!' I have nothing but respect for people who are multi lingual and that put my basic French and German to shame!

I do understand what you are saying and there appear to be two distinct points: firstly, the cesspit that social media can be. I concur entirely and find much of it mean spirited and lacking in integrity, honesty and basic kindness. Many people who are the most active and vociferous on any form of social media are the last people to say the same things when faced with a person in 'the real world'; more often than not both armchair experts and conflict avoidant in their daily lives, hence blowing off steam online. There was a psychological study done recently and statistically, the people most active on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Ticktok, etc, score far above the average for antisocial and psychopathic behavioural traits. Reading the study, I cannot say I was hugely surprised; narcissistic behaviour does seem to, more often than not, be the rule of the day. All generations look at the younger generation with a mix of concern and rejection of their 'new' values but I can honestly say that I do not think we have ever seen a younger generation who are so self absorbed, display confidence on social media and yet are riddled with self doubt and lacking in the ability to both stick with any task for an extended period of time and when they fail so quick to blame others. I know this is a sweeping generalisation and there are gems in the mix; however, social media and smart phones have an awful lot to answer for; the majority of it not positive.

Secondly, to answer your point about owners sounding off about the Grenadier - setting my post above to one side - I question how many of them also include speculators who are surprised and disappointed that they cannot turn a quick profit. My guess would be that there are a fair few in the mix who saw the £10k+ premium attainable on a Hardtop Defender 90 and thought they'd cash in. I'll go so far as to say I met a new owner in a carpark who told me as much - I bought it and if I don't like it, I'll flip it. I didn't have the heart to tell them that dealers have unsold cars. Needless to say, I can imagine that person being someone who rapidly turns unhappy and vocal when they cannot exit the car without the standard depreciation you expect on a new car purchase (in the UK 20% when you drive off the forecourt - prior to pandemic/post pandemic supply chain shortages and inflated used car values (all of which are rapidly on the wane for most vehicles).

If I was an owner, I'd personally enjoy driving it and ignore all the negative chatter - if you have no plans to sell, residual value is irrelevant and you cannot easily put a price or quantify the enjoyment of a new vehicle.

Oskar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I was an owner, I'd personally enjoy driving it and ignore all the negative chatter - if you have no plans to sell, residual value is irrelevant and you cannot easily put a price or quantify the enjoyment of a new vehicle.
This is truly the essence for me. Agree with you that if you have ben following the project and know what it is a bout you should know there are some issue but the overall experience will be good. But there are some people who do not get it. There are some people who try to make profit from it and might be frustrated that it does not gelt along the plans.

I can truly say. I am a happy owner. The issue will be smoothed out. It is the the best car I can get today based on my preferences.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
I've read this more than once on this forum and it is laughable. The thought that Land Rover owners have a endemic dislike for the Grenadier is easily dispelled if you spend any time on a Defender forum. Firstly, Jim Ratcliffe has achieved what most die-hard Defender owners wanted JLR to do: preserve the original Defender. If you want to see disparaging, take a look at how that group view the new Defender! Secondly, why are there so many Defender owners looking into the Grenadier, if they are "complainers... and envious"?
If you believe all Land Rover owners are supportive of his endeavor then you are surely mistaken. Some will hope he fails as some hope the other person fails in most, if not all, sporting events. Business is just as competitive as sports, if not more so.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you believe all Land Rover owners are supportive of his endeavor then you are surely mistaken. Some will hope he fails as some hope the other person fails in most, if not all, sporting events. Business is just as competitive as sports, if not more so.
Sadly - people who have no skin in the game either way want this to fail - just so someone looks bad. Never understood people like that. Cut from the same cloth as the early el'Dickos that wanted the lightbulb to fail...

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Social media is very bad for our world in my opinion.
This forum is great, especially for product info, but I sometimes find myself biting my tongue.
The Grenadier, Quartermaster, etc. will be great but they do need IA to stay with it and keep employing experienced people to get the quality right. They will be a money pit for quite some time, Ineos’ deep pockets and credibility will be needed for a while yet.

I’m eagerly anticipating the handover of mine later this year, September I hope as it is supposedly in build now. I don’t expect any problems with it.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Alvan, firstly, and if I am mistaken, please accept my apologies in advance but I see you are from Italy and therefore, if English is not your mother tongue, then 'hats off to you for engaging in a debate in a language that is not your first!' I have nothing but respect for people who are multi lingual and that put my basic French and German to shame!

I do understand what you are saying and there appear to be two distinct points: firstly, the cesspit that social media can be. I concur entirely and find much of it mean spirited and lacking in integrity, honesty and basic kindness. Many people who are the most active and vociferous on any form of social media are the last people to say the same things when faced with a person in 'the real world'; more often than not both armchair experts and conflict avoidant in their daily lives, hence blowing off steam online. There was a psychological study done recently and statistically, the people most active on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Ticktok, etc, score far above the average for antisocial and psychopathic behavioural traits. Reading the study, I cannot say I was hugely surprised; narcissistic behaviour does seem to, more often than not, be the rule of the day. All generations look at the younger generation with a mix of concern and rejection of their 'new' values but I can honestly say that I do not think we have ever seen a younger generation who are so self absorbed, display confidence on social media and yet are riddled with self doubt and lacking in the ability to both stick with any task for an extended period of time and when they fail so quick to blame others. I know this is a sweeping generalisation and there are gems in the mix; however, social media and smart phones have an awful lot to answer for; the majority of it not positive.

Secondly, to answer your point about owners sounding off about the Grenadier - setting my post above to one side - I question how many of them also include speculators who are surprised and disappointed that they cannot turn a quick profit. My guess would be that there are a fair few in the mix who saw the £10k+ premium attainable on a Hardtop Defender 90 and thought they'd cash in. I'll go so far as to say I met a new owner in a carpark who told me as much - I bought it and if I don't like it, I'll flip it. I didn't have the heart to tell them that dealers have unsold cars. Needless to say, I can imagine that person being someone who rapidly turns unhappy and vocal when they cannot exit the car without the standard depreciation you expect on a new car purchase (in the UK 20% when you drive off the forecourt - prior to pandemic/post pandemic supply chain shortages and inflated used car values (all of which are rapidly on the wane for most vehicles).

Dear Toady, you absolutely don't have to apologize, now, in times when there are no longer major cultural barriers, at least in the Euro-American area, the reference language is English and if you don't want to be excluded from any form of exchange, at this you have to adapt. I am Roman by birth and I am certainly not shocked by the use of a universal language, such as Latin was when my Rome ruled. I completely agree with what you wrote. I would add that, since political administration is currently my job, what I read about cars, boats, bicycles, etc. is nothing compared to the rancor that shakes social networks in my present field. Individuals have always felt resentment and frustration, but for the first time they have a powerful and uncontrolled tool to make them public, to give vent. For this reason I can frequent a forum on the Grenadier, but I'm very careful not to have a Twitter or FB account. BTW, this forum still maintains a high standard of good manners and reasonableness...

Back
Top Bottom