The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Good Adventure TV

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was just chatting in another thread about Jeremy Clarkson and his motoring TV, and thought it might be neat to spin up a thread where folks can share their favorite Adventure Entertainment options. We can't all be out exploring all the time, and it's sometimes nice to live vicariously through others during these times.

I'll start us off with the aforementioned Clarkson, and here's what I shared in that other thread including links to some clips; I've got a high opinion of The Grand Tour and Top Gear (U.K.), both of which feature the kinds of adventures the Gren was made for; here's some of my favorites:

1) Clarkson and his mates get dumped from a helicopter in central Mongolia where they have to assemble a 4x4 from various bits and pieces that were similarly air-dropped and drive it to a town many many miles away, entirely off road. Here's the trailer for that one.

2) Clarkson and his mates get a bunch of old 4x4s - a Range Rover, a Suzuki Jimny, and a FJ40 - and barge down a river in Bolivia, navigate the jungle, take the Death Road, and ultimately cross the Andes to the Pacific. Here's a clip from that one.

3) Clarskon and his mates take some old sedans and cross Botswana, including being the first vehicles to fully cross the Makgadikgadi salt pans. Here's a sample.

They were also the first to drive vehicles to the North Pole, were nearly killed in Argentina by a riot caused by British-Argentinian relations and an accidental license plate, and (arguably) have their names in history as discovering a possible source of the Nile River. Their presentations are always great cinematography, and the chemistry of the trio (Clarkson, Hammond, and May) is undeniable. So, they've got the "Vehicular Adventure" chops to make them a good source of entertainment for the types of folks who love what the Gren was made to do.

In fact, many of Clarkson, Hammond, and May's adventures are exactly what the Ineos Grenadier was designed for; they are the purpose for which our beloved Gren was built (remote, rugged, away-from-it-all transportation). And yet, these guys are doing these trips in old, often end-of-life vehicles that are only tangentially fit for purpose (and usually made less-so during the adventure). There's obviously TV magic involved, but it's GOOD tv, and its' got just enough of that "Mongol Rally" adventurer energy to be a nice reminder that we don't need $100k 4x4s to see the world and have a grand adventure.

(but it sure is nice to be able to get one - Thanks Sir Jim!)

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
And, I'll be my own First Response to my thread with another recommendation: Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman, and their Cameraman Claudio, have produced three documentary series where they take motorcycles and drive them around the world (Long Way Round), from the Northern tip of Scotland to the Southern tip of Africa (Long way down) and of particular interest these days, they travel from Tierra del Fuego to Los Angeles on electric Harley Davidsons.

These are great adventure programs and show Charlie and Ewan kicking some of the hollywood dust off their boots to get some real-world adventure miles in. Well worth a watch!

Back
Top Bottom