The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Grenadier philosophy...

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
In the months and years to come, people who consider it a car like many others will be making all sorts of fuss about the Grenadier. Many of us know that this is not the case. Just as there are still those who buy a manual winding watch that is much less precise and more expensive than a Swatch, and they don't do it for show, but because there is a will and a precise idea behind it. When I started following the Grenadier project, which was just a name on a website page, I was thrilled by the idea of not following the current that leads to product unification. Sharing all the technical steps that led to the final product, is proof of this timeless vision. These days, awaiting delivery of my Gren, having sold the Defender to a friend who I know will treat it with love , I had to rent a car (I don't use the 964 turbo for work...) and they assigned me an MG. MG? Forget the Morris Garage, it's an SUV of Chinese manufacture and philosophy. Defects? Nobody. Spirit? Zero. This is the current general philosophy. Do they tell you that you are 'sustainable' with an electric car? Gradually everyone will buy an electric car. They don't have a car culture and they do well, that's okay. But anyone who still sees in the car the expression of a great industrial culture and an object of choice among different products, with a character, even at the cost of inevitable defects due to the search for diversity, will enjoy the Grenadier, as he appreciated a Series. I only hope that his intellectual exclusivity does not jeopardize the industrial project and that JR has the attributes to resist.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
P.S.: The last three bikes of my motorcycling career have been three Ducati Superbikes. On the Net, the kindest phrase was 'Ducati soldi sprecati' (wasted money) and Japanese motorcycle owners (and I've had four of them) said that Ducatis kept breaking down. Actually, it never happened to me. It was true that they forced a MotoGP position, that they heated like a stove, summer and winter, that it was not possible to carry even a pin and that they made the noise of a grater. But for the use for which they were designed (chapeau to Mario Tamburini) they were the most beautiful bikes, the most exciting to ride, with esoteric sensations of precision. I believe that the same will be true, in its range of use, with the Grenadier...

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
It is interesting sitting here reading this forum each day. I have had LRs since I was 16 (before I could drive legally). Series II, Series III, 24V FFR military air-portable Lightweight (should never have sold that on!), County 90, 110, Lifted off-road 90 with all the crazy bits and finally my loved X-Tech limited edition 90 which I have sold just recently. My X-Tech was serviced by my local LR dealer (it was a real investment and a lovely car too), and when the new Defender (ND) was launched I was invited to the party at the Dealership. Now, the ND is a lovely car, but as my wife said "it's just not you Tom". I go camping, walking, fishing, on drives up Scottish mountains in Winter, take my ham radios up hills. Always, I have affixed extra bits, drilled holes, bolted on things (mostly antennas!), and I just cannot, in good conscience, do that to a ND. Somehow it didn't fit my ethos of rugged practicality. So here I am, still waiting for my IG but with a sense of anticipation occasionally dampened by comments on here by the odd naysayer. We shall see, but I am confident that there is not another vehicle in this "class" that fits my mental model of my future adventuring.

RoyalWulff

Forum Supporter
Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
P.S.: The last three bikes of my motorcycling career have been three Ducati Superbikes. On the Net, the kindest phrase was 'Ducati soldi sprecati' (wasted money) and Japanese motorcycle owners (and I've had four of them) said that Ducatis kept breaking down. Actually, it never happened to me. It was true that they forced a MotoGP position, that they heated like a stove, summer and winter, that it was not possible to carry even a pin and that they made the noise of a grater. But for the use for which they were designed (chapeau to Mario Tamburini) they were the most beautiful bikes, the most exciting to ride, with esoteric sensations of precision. I believe that the same will be true, in its range of use, with the Grenadier...
I’ve had a few Ducati and what they lack in German / Japanese engineering they make up for in personality. My first Monster had a stock exhaust that sounded like it had been out all night chain smoking, as compared to the lifeless efficiency of a BMW.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do agree entirely. My dad sold Mitsubishi vehicles and probably every thing except the Pajero had no "soul" and vanished. The vehicles were nicknamed rice bowls and in German / Hessian dialect (Japaner klaut Kaaner / Noone steals a japan made car ) Nevertheless we sold a lot and there were many customer who never could afford a local one. They were reliable, low maintenance, -- and quite a lot of gadgets by standard that were not even in the option list on other makes.
Two of my team mates own ducatis and all of these are run like hell. - No issues at any time (except tyres run down)
Others own HD... and Triumph and both need a little more attention. But you notice all of em.
There is indeed noone running a East asia bike in my area I am in contact with. - The only one I remember is an elderly guy owning a Kawasaki 750 2 stroke H2 / H3 or so .. (I dont know exactly) only run on hot days - and I remember it by its distinct sound and smell.
Sounds l like a chainsaw.. and lightning fast.. - The bike looks like it just has left factory.
Rare piece. This is one of the few exceptions from east.
But I think the Grenadier has already a status of reincarnation of a dino saur.. but perhaps even more. time will tell.

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"Usiache mbachao kwa msala upitao!" - Swahili: "Do not abandon one's own because of transient or temporary matters." or "One should not abandon the tried and tested because of temporary temptations or matters."

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
I do agree entirely. My dad sold Mitsubishi vehicles and probably every thing except the Pajero had no "soul" and vanished. The vehicles were nicknamed rice bowls and in German / Hessian dialect (Japaner klaut Kaaner / Noone steals a japan made car ) Nevertheless we sold a lot and there were many customer who never could afford a local one. They were reliable, low maintenance, -- and quite a lot of gadgets by standard that were not even in the option list on other makes.
Two of my team mates own ducatis and all of these are run like hell. - No issues at any time (except tyres run down)
Others own HD... and Triumph and both need a little more attention. But you notice all of em.
There is indeed noone running a East asia bike in my area I am in contact with. - The only one I remember is an elderly guy owning a Kawasaki 750 2 stroke H2 / H3 or so .. (I dont know exactly) only run on hot days - and I remember it by its distinct sound and smell.
Sounds l like a chainsaw.. and lightning fast.. - The bike looks like it just has left factory.
Rare piece. This is one of the few exceptions from east.
But I think the Grenadier has already a status of reincarnation of a dino saur.. but perhaps even more. time will tell.
I have owned 2 Mitsubishi's (Utes) and they have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned - period.
I think the GREN will hold a unique spot in owners' hearts and souls - it is just the type of person who wants this vehicle and our psyche! I am pretty sure when I am old, I will be able to tell my Grandkids that I owned a Gren (I will have forgotten all the other brands by then!).

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
I have always been drawn to character, often at the expense of sense and sensibility, I understand why people would buy a white Toyota Camry, but it’s not for me.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You must have the wisdom of the Dalai Lama.
I'm at a loss to understand such a purchase!
This is a "grey man" car - so if you want to become invisible - this is the right vehicle. Noone would turn the head and look after it - or remember.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You must have the wisdom of the Dalai Lama.
I'm at a loss to understand such a purchase!
🤣 maybe I should clarify, I understand the logical process, I completely fail to feel any empathy for the complete lack of any soul one must possess to be able to bring yourself to do it.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was talking online to a guy I know who is a 4wd driving instructor, runs a reasonably good business.
I told him I had ordered an IG.
His response:
Noice. Well I suppose someone has to.

Goose.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was talking online to a guy I know who is a 4wd driving instructor, runs a reasonably good business.
His response:

Goose.
There are a few really good 4wd instructors who are genuinely interested in helping people enjoy their vehicles whatever they are. Then there are a bunch of macho wankers who are only interested in lifted Toyotas. I have had a few experiences of them, but one stood out, I gave my 20yo son a 4wd course for his birthday and went along with him in our Pajero sport. The instructor spent all his time making snide comments about our mall crawler and jizzing himself over a totally wanked up FJ cruiser. Made for a very unsatisfactory experience.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
His response:

Goose.
Recently I met a guy on the range.. he is "just" a sportshooter and seemed rather ordinary in transportation - I would have put him in the "Camry" sort of people. He was in the group of people doing a bit small talk I mentioned Ineos Automotive, and was a moment stunned. He said "yes the Grenadier.. nowadays a -must have- vehicle it seems".
What he did not mention is the reason why "must have"..

Back
Top Bottom