The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Frame touch up

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Need some advice - was washing under the truck over the weekend. After cleaning up all the mud out of there I noticed a rather large exposed portion of the chassis. I’m guess in a rock chipped the powder coating.

Obviously it needs some help, any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_9322.jpeg
    IMG_9322.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Spray it with Fluid Film and wait for warm weather to reassess.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Agree with Tom109, Fluid Film. On an annual basis I would spray my Tacoma's undercarriage with it, works wonderfully. I plan to do the same with the IG.

Local time
Reaction score
Is this powder coated? My experience with PC is it chips, and water capillaries under it. I'd rather have paint for objects that will take a beating.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
POR15? Fluid Film black?

Is that surface rust too on the right side of the pic?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
Need some advice - was washing under the truck over the weekend. After cleaning up all the mud out of there I noticed a rather large exposed portion of the chassis. I’m guess in a rock chipped the powder coating.

Obviously it needs some help, any suggestions?
My Grenadier is going to need some serious remedial work underneath once we’ve finished this section of our travels. The protection plates especially have had the sh## beat out of them 😂

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Krabby I address this every year on my Tacoma since the frame was replaced under the frame campaign. My tacoma takes quite a beating and even though it has some underbody protection, the frame still takes a few licks, I address these "repairs" in the winter after my wheeling season is done. To do this I take the following steps:
-Use a die grinder to zap off the rusty spots making sure to go to the edge of where good paint is meeting metal (Do this with finest/ least abrasive allowable grit. If the rust is new and minimal, a coarse grit is not needed. But gouges in the metal will make getting down to the rust more difficult and a more abrasive pad might be needed)
-Clean surface with denatured alcohol until zero residue visible on cloth (I use white shop rags) and allow to dry
-Prime with Rustoleum Farm and Implement Grey primer (Brush on type, Not rattle can, for a heavy application)
-allow at least 24 hours to dry
-Paint with Rustoleam Farm and Implement Black Paint (Also brush on type for heavy application)

I have had great luck with this procedure and products holding up. The result of the paint being laid on heavy with a brush may not be aesthetically pleasing compared to a rattle can variant, but the durability is superior in my opinion...and its a frame, not a body panel 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Primer.jpeg
    Primer.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Paint.jpeg
    Paint.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 27

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Spray it with Fluid Film and wait for warm weather to reassess.
I agree that FF is a great product and it tends to "self heal", however I think you should address the compromised surface with a paint protection solution BEFORE application of the FF.

Back
Top Bottom