The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
An old favourite is back - THE RHD FOOTREST!!

Everyone (except INEOS) say that it's a shitty design. The drivers footwell is quite small & cramped but, for most it's not a major issuue, for a few it's bloody uncomfortable. It's sort of OK for me but it is an inconvenience - for 3 reasons:

1. IT'S TOO HIGH: Everyone's left leg will be raised 25mm - 35mm off the front edge of the seat whilst their right leg rests comfortably on it because the top of the footrest is HIGHER than the accelerator.
2. The top of the footrest is blocked off by the bulkhead and thus nobody's left leg can be stretch out fully.
3. IT'S TOO WIDE: There is only a small gap between the right edge of the footrest and the brake pedal - so no one can squeeze their left foot between the them & rest their left leg there.

WHY IS THE RHD FOOTELL AREA DESIGNED LIKE THIS?

The consenus seems to be because of the downward path of the exhaust manifold pipe creating a bigger than usual intrusion and a lot of extra insulating foam needs to surround this area becasue of the heat.

REALLY?? I call BS on this.

I removed the drivers plastic flooring that includes the big footrest to look at the so-called intrusion. I also went under the car to look at the position of the exhaust manifold. I measured everything.

In a nutshell - the footrest (as part of the plastic flooring) is significantly WIDER than the actual metal intrusion footrest.

The plastic moulded footrest is 160mm wide (red arrow line).
The metal intrusion footrest underneath is only 100mm wide (green line).
Thus, the footrest is 60mm wider than it could be, (yellow shaded area) achieved by inserting a 60mm wedge of foam on the right side (see photo) of the plastic flooring.
IT'S NOT NECESSARY!!

The plastic footrest is also TOO HIGH due to a 30/35mm wedge of foam above the metal footrest. (see photo).
IT'S NOT NECESSARY!!

I drove for 45 minutes without the drivers floor, the engine temp got to 96C; I felt the metal footrest and it was NOT EVEN WARM.

WHY - because there is a substantial 70mm gap between the insulated exhaust pipe and the bottom of the metal footrest (floor), that is also insulated.

I say for those that hate the footrest or are irritated or made uncomfortable by it - CUT THE FOOTREST AWAT FROM THE FOOR PIECE & TRIM OFF THE FOAM WEDGES ON THE SIDE AND TOP AND GLUE IT BACK DOWN ON THE METAL.

drivers floor and footrest.JPGIMG_7562.jpgdrivers floor and footrest showing metal and foam divide.JPGDrivers floor and footrest showing thickness of foam.JPG

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
An old favourite is back - THE RHD FOOTREST!!

2. The top of the footrest is blocked off by the bulkhead and thus nobody's left leg can be stretch out fully.

Love the research you've put in and agree with all your comments. My biggest gripe is point 2. Any insight on whether the bulkhead can be moved/reduced so you can stretch your leg out?

I know we've been saying this for a while now, but I really hope the aftermarket come up with a solution for this. Perhaps a precut reduced floor covering (like your idea) and a bulkhead reduction. Crossing toes 🫣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
@grenadierboy ~ you appear to have missed two factors that have been previously mentioned, heat generated when undertaking a DPF (so measuring temps under normal running conditions is not the point); and whether there is a regulation that applies to a minimum distance between the edge of the brake pedal and any side protrusions such that trapping a foot becomes an issue.

Maybe remove one of those grommets and drop in a temperature probe/logger to see what temperatures are over an extended duty cycle? Or even just a bullet cam for a few photos?

Just don't lose the grommet ~ imagine the smell as it cooks on the exhaust? Now I'm wondering if they are special fire/heat retardant ones?

Reactions: PBD

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. didn't think of the DPF burnoff - that would be 2 or 3 times engine temp?

Nevertheless, there is a large airgap between the exhaust pipe (that is itself wrapped in heat protective foil) and the underside of the floor (which itself has a heat shield). I was expecting the pipe to be only a few mm's from the floor.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, it wouldn’t be hard for an aftermarket guy to produce a replacement part. Simple fix I would think for those that find it a problem.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love the research you've put in and agree with all your comments. My biggest gripe is point 2. Any insight on whether the bulkhead can be moved/reduced so you can stretch your leg out?

I know we've been saying this for a while now, but I really hope the aftermarket come up with a solution for this. Perhaps a precut reduced floor covering (like your idea) and a bulkhead reduction. Crossing toes 🫣
Re: Bulkhead - no idea. It's metal and I don't know what is behind that.

Even if there was space, cutting into it is a technical step that requires knowledge of the Grenadier construction & metal work and may void warranty. Not something I would consider.

Trimming a rubber floor piece would be child's play by comparison

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. didn't think of the DPF burnoff - that would be 2 or 3 times engine temp?

To quote the BMW engine manual:

"During the regeneration, the exhaust temperature continues to increase up to 580°C."

And the top temperature limit is 690°C.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, it wouldn’t be hard for an aftermarket guy to produce a replacement part. Simple fix I would think for those that find it a problem.
My off-the-cuff initial thinking for those that may "redesign" the plastic footrest. (no metal cutting!)

1. Cut plastic footrest along 2 line red lines to remove the section overhanging the metal intrusion (actual footrest). (keep it it will be needed).

2. Cut side wall of plastic footrest at orange line.

3. Trim away excess insulating foam underneath the plastic footrest pieces to the bare minimum (none?)

4. Move footrest sidewall left to meet first red cut line and re-glue together.

5. Removed footrest strip (shaded red) becomes a new strip of flat plastic floor to fill gap and glue to right edge of footrest sidewall & other side of flat floor.

What have I missed or what other methods?

plastic footrest 2 pieces to cut.jpg

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To quote the BMW engine manual:

"During the regeneration, the exhaust temperature continues to increase up to 580°C."

And the top temperature limit is 690°C.
yes but I guess the question is where exactly or is the whole exhaust system the same temp?

Maybe that high temp was measured at the very end of the exhaust pipe, not close to the manifolds?

It's hard to believe that the metal floor forming the footrest, on the inside of the cabin, would get that hot but then the 35mm of insulating foam glued to the plastic footrest makes everything OK so your shoes don't melt!!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
yes but I guess the question is where exactly or is the whole exhaust system the same temp?

Maybe that high temp was measured at the very end of the exhaust pipe, not close to the manifolds?

These are the temperatures inside the DPF (necessary to burn off the collected soot). The DPF is part of the large cylinder immediately underneath the footrest.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is the height and angle of the rest that is the worst part of this, width... doesn't really change the situation of you resting leg position. It's a crap design outcome and oversight by IA engineers and QA and market feedback - period. The fix will be a half-baked custard tart at best. We all need to live with it, as you recall, most of the early drivers here said it was a 'non-issue'. I think it is garbage and will just turn a blind eye to it.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My off-the-cuff initial thinking for those that may "redesign" the plastic footrest. (no metal cutting!)

1. Cut plastic footrest along 2 line red lines to remove the section overhanging the metal intrusion (actual footrest). (keep it it will be needed).

2. Cut side wall of plastic footrest at orange line.

3. Trim away excess insulating foam underneath the plastic footrest pieces to the bare minimum (none?)

4. Move footrest sidewall left to meet first red cut line and re-glue together.

5. Removed footrest strip (shaded red) becomes a new strip of flat plastic floor to fill gap and glue to right edge of footrest sidewall & other side of flat floor.

What have I missed or what other methods?

View attachment 7826163
Wait for AM guys to 3D print, solved. Then, complain about how narrow the rest is now and your leg has to be WEDGED HARD to left console to have any form of perch... haha.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The footrest in my wife’s X3 is half the width and allows me to easily, and safely stretch my leg when required.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is the height and angle of the rest that is the worst part of this, width... doesn't really change the situation of you resting leg position. It's a crap design outcome and oversight by IA engineers and QA and market feedback - period. The fix will be a half-baked custard tart at best. We all need to live with it, as you recall, most of the early drivers here said it was a 'non-issue'. I think it is garbage and will just turn a blind eye to it.
I don't think it's a none issue, but you do get used to it. I have found the best solution is a high seat and wearing boots as they have a heel. I prefer walking boots, not any other type..... :)

Last edited:

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think it's a none issue, but you do get used to it. I have found the best solution is a high seat and wearing boots as they have a heel. And no walking boots, not any other type..... :)
Mmmm

So not ideal for shooting or other outdoor footwear !! That can’t be right - I shoot in walking boots and loads of others wear Wellies - can’t recall seeing anyone wearing James Brown style Cuban heels or cowboy boots - it’s a vehicle that has to work for field sports and other country activity

what are others managing to drive in without undue discomfort - if the Grenadier owning cohort is in fact into Cuban heels I’ll be amazed

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mmmm

So not ideal for shooting or other outdoor footwear !! That can’t be right - I shoot in walking boots and loads of others wear Wellies - can’t recall seeing anyone wearing James Brown style Cuban heels or cowboy boots - it’s a vehicle that has to work for field sports and other country activity

what are others managing to drive in without undue discomfort - if the Grenadier owning cohort is in fact into Cuban heels I’ll be amazed
I only find a problem with high heels but with trainers ,Wellies , walking boots , all no problem.🤔

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was aware of the footrest for the first couple of days due to the strangeness of the new vehicle, after that it was just part of the furniture, be it walking boots, wellies or brogues.
But I fail to understand how anybody can criticise it for months on end proclaiming it as the worst design disaster known to man and then say they are just going to turn a blind eye to it? Obviously not really a problem then. Chiropractor can stand down. 🤣

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe.

As I said - it's not a big issue for me but more of a "pebble in my shoe" situation. I certainly don't lose any sleep.

Having said that - I removed the drivers plastic flooring to "investigate" the size, shape and make-up of this oversized footrest a couple of days ago (see my comments/photos above).

I have driven the Grenadier for 2 days with just a bare metal floor and it is MORE COMFORTABLE without the larger footrest.

Both legs sit evenly on the top front of the seat - no gap under my left leg. I have space to stretch my left leg to the right (but not forward due to bulkhead) because there is now a nice wide gap between the metal footrest & the brake pedal.

Food for thought.

I know a very good auto upholsterer (who worked on my older cars). I may ask his thoughts on the "cut & re-glue" option I mentioned yesterday above. I know he has various fabrication and moulding machines.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe.

As I said - it's not a big issue for me but more of a "pebble in my shoe" situation. I certainly don't lose any sleep.

Having said that - I removed the drivers plastic flooring to "investigate" the size, shape and make-up of this oversized footrest a couple of days ago (see my comments/photos above).

I have driven the Grenadier for 2 days with just a bare metal floor and it is MORE COMFORTABLE without the larger footrest.

Both legs sit evenly on the top front of the seat - no gap under my left leg. I have space to stretch my left leg to the right (but not forward due to bulkhead) because there is now a nice wide gap between the metal footrest & the brake pedal.

Food for thought.

I know a very good auto upholsterer (who worked on my older cars). I may ask his thoughts on the "cut & re-glue" option I mentioned yesterday above. I know he has various fabrication and moulding machines.
I feel like you. The footrest isn’t really an issue but for a price, I would look to reduce it. Your notes have been very helpful and informative.

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom