The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I don't think Ineos consider the footrest to be an issue.

I was told by an Ineos representative that the design was created by an ergonomics engineer. For those that can't live with it, lift the floor matting and have a look - you'll find that there is a void behind the foot rest even though there is a protrusion from the catalytic converter. You could "bodge" up something to make it more comfortable for you.

So far, I have not felt the need to do something about it - I'll wait till a longer trip to Central Australia next year and decide then.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think Ineos consider the footrest to be an issue.

I was told by an Ineos representative that the design was created by an ergonomics engineer. For those that can't live with it, lift the floor matting and have a look - you'll find that there is a void behind the foot rest even though there is a protrusion from the catalytic converter. You could "bodge" up something to make it more comfortable for you.

So far, I have not felt the need to do something about it - I'll wait till a longer trip to Central Australia next year and decide then.
I would argue that it was probably reviewed by an ergonomics engineer - which is not the same as being created by one. The ergonomics engineer probably just said something like "well if it has to be there then make the angle X degrees so noone dies of cramp" or something.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
If you are trying to drive the Gren like a car or even some utes sitting positions you will have issues...you are sitting in a truck and should be able to see both front corners...I drove home from the beach yesterday with soaking feet and my Birkenstock were on top of each other on the footrest...I am driving a truck and hardly use the footrest...181cm-5ft 11in no probs here

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you are trying to drive the Gren like a car or even some utes sitting positions you will have issues...you are sitting in a truck and should be able to see both front corners...I drove home from the beach yesterday with soaking feet and my Birkenstock were on top of each other on the footrest...I am driving a truck and hardly use the footrest...181cm-5ft 11in no probs here
When driving an off-road vehicle, you should wear sturdy shoes and not overpriced German pseudo-sandals. :ROFLMAO:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When driving an off-road vehicle, you should wear sturdy shoes and not overpriced German pseudo-sandals. :ROFLMAO:
I really should be buying RM Williams and not helping your economy..they don't do a pseudo-sandal unfortunately 😂

They are the off-road version and Brilliant... thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6671.jpg
    IMG_6671.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
I would argue that it was probably reviewed by an ergonomics engineer - which is not the same as being created by one. The ergonomics engineer probably just said something like "well if it has to be there then make the angle X degrees so noone dies of cramp" or something.
This is the case and what the Australian engineers told me during my PT03 test drives. They did put this back to the design team early but got zero response from IA headquarters. Just so we know there was concerns put back to IA by our good Aussie Engineers but feel on "it will be ok" cloth ears. Anyway try 700km in a day and get back to me - Mt longest stint in a day and it was a little cramped tell the truth.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
This is the case and what the Australian engineers told me during my PT03 test drives. They did put this back to the design team early but got zero response from IA headquarters. Just so we know there was concerns put back to IA by our good Aussie Engineers but feel on "it will be ok" cloth ears. Anyway try 700km in a day and get back to me - Mt longest stint in a day and it was a little cramped tell the truth.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m 1.94m (6’4” and a bit) and I don’t even notice it, honestly, I find the driving position perfect. I do have the seat up quite high and quite upright but thats just the sort of driving position I like and am used to.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There is definitely a divided camp on this one. Its not a show stopper for me but is a pretty crappy foot well design. Looks a school work experience kid placed the pedal at random. The only thing that I think sits well is the accelerated (which others are putting block on :confused:).

Id like to set the brake pedal back slightly to make it level with the accelerator, reduce the width of the brake pedal and the modify the foot rest flooring to remove some of that padding. That should open it up.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I’m 1.94m (6’4” and a bit) and I don’t even notice it, honestly, I find the driving position perfect. I do have the seat up quite high and quite upright but thats just the sort of driving position I like and am used to.

I'll be doing a 14 hour run from Perth to Exmouth shortly - Ill let you know how I go. I'm only 6'2" and short drives (~2 hours) its fine. Be interesting to see how the long stretches go.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Keep us posted! Longest drive I’ve done so far is only 3 hours too and it was fine but I would any problems would have shown up by then.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
700 miles in one day for me and no real issues. That said, if someone develops a new moulded Matt that reduces the intrusion, I would definitely consider it. Not sure why as in reality, at 5’9”, I don’t have any problems with it. On long journeys however, it would be nice to stretch my left leg without worming it behind the brake pedal.

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone actually pulled the manifold pipe out looked to see if it can be modified and the floor reshaped with a BFH?

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone actually pulled the manifold pipe out looked to see if it can be modified and the floor reshaped with a BFH?
BFH?

@DCPU posted some pics a while back, from the assembly line, of the underside. Looked at the time like the intrusion wasn’t easily adjustable.

Edit: this earlier post by @Grey Nomad is very useful to see what can be achieved with the removal of the matting. Something I’ll pursue.

(Post in thread 'Footwell intrusion'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/footwell-intrusion.12411284/post-1333158116)

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Anyway try 700km in a day and get back to me - Mt longest stint in a day and it was a little cramped tell the truth.
You need to stop and stretch now and again.
Methinks you are getting a bit tight in your middle age!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As much I love my grenadier, the looks, it’s sturdiness and charm. I also own a new Suzuki Jimny too and there is no issues stretching my leg and steering returns to centre in the Jimny so I can’t understand why. It’s the same setup.

On longer journey in the Grenadier I begin to get cramp in my left leg. This and the steering can certainly be improved. If I move my seat backwards and extend the steering wheel then I’m looking at the b pillar rather out of the side window. So that doesn’t work either.

I have my foot positioned towards the middle of the accelerator pedal. Twice I nearly caused an accident, you either press the accelerator then a delay. Or press it harder and it full power. Can’t modulate it very well and takes a bit getting use to.

If they can fix these issues along with a bigger reverse camera screen, it would be absolutely perfect. That’s my honest opinion. You learn to put up with things but manufacturers need firstly get the basics right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom