The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Take your left boot off while driving.
Don't complicate things.
yeah - I get it & I will be very interested in your view on this issue once you drive the Gren back to Hobart.

As I said - it's a minor thing but the more I look at the plastic footrest on my work bench the more it looks a pretty easy modification - 3 cuts and re- glue 3 seams.

It's worth getting my auto interior man for his opinion. He may have a different perspective or different idea of what to do.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The footrest seems smaller than I recall on the prototype.
For me it is no issue , perhaps my need to stretch the leg when driving is different to others. Or I have short legs, but don't think I do.
But as you say , a bit of cutty cutty should help gain more clearance if you need it. The floor mat , not the legs 😄

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
I was aware of the footrest for the first couple of days due to the strangeness of the new vehicle, after that it was just part of the furniture, be it walking boots, wellies or brogues.
But I fail to understand how anybody can criticise it for months on end proclaiming it as the worst design disaster known to man and then say they are just going to turn a blind eye to it? Obviously not really a problem then. Chiropractor can stand down. 🤣
Nar turning a blind eye, so the 'rose-tinted glass' types dont get offended! We all know how precious people are and what lengths they will go to protect their 'dreams'! :censored:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Nar turning a blind eye, so the 'rose-tinted glass' types dont get offended! We all know how precious people are and what lengths they will go to protect their 'dreams'! :censored:
But it sounds like the dream is over for you?
Try a Great Wall.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been having a few issues as well with it, Today I got some spacers about 30-35mm and placed them under the seat mounts this means i can have the seat still up quite high so I can just about get the backs of my knees touching the seat base + be far enough back. before with the seat all the way back as you make it higher it would be closer to the steering wheel. and I would knock my laft knee on the panel. it’s a lot comfier for me (my best driving position for me is the 90 degree sitting position in a defender with raised seat bars. I’m over 6`1” and have a terrible back with lots of metalwork in it and dodgy left knee). Tomorrow I am going to remove all the mats and try that as well.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been having a few issues as well with it, Today I got some spacers about 30-35mm and placed them under the seat mounts this means i can have the seat still up quite high so I can just about get the backs of my knees touching the seat base + be far enough back. before with the seat all the way back as you make it higher it would be closer to the steering wheel. and I would knock my laft knee on the panel. it’s a lot comfier for me (my best driving position for me is the 90 degree sitting position in a defender with raised seat bars. I’m over 6`1” and have a terrible back with lots of metalwork in it and dodgy left knee). Tomorrow I am going to remove all the mats and try that as well.
joejet.

Once you easily remove the floor covering you will see that it is made up of:
1. a 5mm shell (of 2 layers - the outer plastic shell (2mm) with a pattern & an inner card type material (3mm).
2. a soft "sponge" material wrapped ina very thin black plastic that adds roughly 30/35mm of HEIGHT and 65mm of WIDTH to thre footrest (FR) - making it quite a lot bigger than the actual underlying metal footrest.

This sponge material is then the "scope" for anyone wishing to reduce the height of the FR, bringing your left leg down onto the seat and the width of the FR to allow you to stretch your left leg forward between the FR and the brake pedal by removing some/most/all of this sponge to the 5mm plastic outer shell.

However, in my view this height & width reduction can only be acheived by making cuts in the floor covering (see my photo above of an idea). and re-glueing.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
joejet.

Once you easily remove the floor covering you will see that it is made up of:
1. a 5mm shell (of 2 layers - the outer plastic shell (2mm) with a pattern & an inner card type material (3mm).
2. a soft "sponge" material wrapped ina very thin black plastic that adds roughly 30/35mm of HEIGHT and 65mm of WIDTH to thre footrest (FR) - making it quite a lot bigger than the actual underlying metal footrest.

This sponge material is then the "scope" for anyone wishing to reduce the height of the FR, bringing your left leg down onto the seat and the width of the FR to allow you to stretch your left leg forward between the FR and the brake pedal by removing some/most/all of this sponge to the 5mm plastic outer shell.

However, in my view this height & width reduction can only be acheived by making cuts in the floor covering (see my photo above of an idea). and re-glueing.
Thamks I Will let you know how i get on tomorrow. before i cur anything I will ask the dealer how much new panels/mats are. i’m sure someone will make an aftermarket set though.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Makes sense.
Technically it is a fairly easy job.
I may ask an auto upholster his opinion.

BTW:
The front seats can be raised a maximum of 50mm (2") (20 pumps of the lever).
When you raise the seats the mechanism rises the rear part slightly more (about 15mm) than the front edge part.
The front seats have 220mm of travel back & forward

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Makes sense.
Technically it is a fairly easy job.
I may ask an auto upholster his opinion.

BTW:
The front seats can be raised a maximum of 50mm (2") (20 pumps of the lever).
When you raise the seats the mechanism rises the rear part slightly more (about 15mm) than the front edge part.
The front seats have 220mm of travel back & forward
I was trying to get some measurements of the lengths of the moving parts and the angles they move buy, then 8 happed to find some thick rubber spacers (they are 40mm X 40mm and they compress a bit so I was guessing at the 35mm. I just tried it and it's a lot better for me already. Inot sure if long-term they are ideal I will order some steel spacers once I'm happy. I have got the best position.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Today I got some spacers about 30-35mm and placed them under the seat mounts

Please take a few photos and post them up, I can't be the only one interested in how you've done this. 🙏

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please take a few photos and post them up, I can't be the only one interested in how you've done this. 🙏
EDIT- Pics uploaded 35mm higher

here is a link to the spacers for now:-
40x40 spacers

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-09 at 12.13.00.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-09 at 12.13.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-09 at 12.13.31.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg

I used some 12.9 grade 65mm M10 bolts but had these already.

I am not sure if the spacers are ideal they seem solid enough but compress quite a bit when doing them up. I did put high strength threadlocker on the bolts as wel just to make sure they can’t come loose. I will probably get some stainless spacers at some point, also amazon can’t be the cheapest place to buy them but the super quick delivery does help.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I hope this works for you also. I care for my back quite well and look after it more than most in driving position and set up so I will be looking at options later on for this vehicle similarly to what you describe.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

40x40 spacers

View attachment 7826319
View attachment 7826320
View attachment 7826321

View attachment 7826308

I am not sure if the spacers are ideal they seem solid enough but compress quite a bit when doing them up. I did put high strength threadlocker on the bolts as wel just to make sure they can’t come loose. I will probably get some stainless spacers at some point, also amazon can’t be the cheapest place to buy them but the super quick delivery does help.
I found the seat suited me as high as possible, I wonder if the extra height that you have added would work for me too. I do find the that the Sun Visor blocks too much of the road at Max height for me though.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found the seat suited me as high as possible, I wonder if the extra height that you have added would work for me too. I do find the that the Sun Visor blocks too much of the road at Max height for me though.
So by putting in the spacers it allows roughly the same height as max (well you can go higher) but the seat is now further back, as it moves forward when you make it higher on the pump.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

40x40 spacers

View attachment 7826319
View attachment 7826320
View attachment 7826321

View attachment 7826308

Good job Joejet (I keep wanting the write Jo Jo Zep & and Falacons!!) to try it out but, I think if you wanted a the more permanant solution then a full length metal spacer that sit underneath the seat rails (see photo) .

I think this would be more stable and secure, especially in a hard brake, crash situation. This has been used in other cars as an accessory for short drivers that need a lift.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you wanted a the more permanant solution then a full length metal spacer that sit underneath the seat rails (see photo) .
Was there meant to be a new photo in your post?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good job Joejet (I keep wanting the write Jo Jo Zep & and Falacons!!) to try it out but, I think if you wanted a the more permanant solution then a full length metal spacer that sit underneath the seat rails (see photo) .

I think this would be more stable and secure, especially in a hard brake, crash situation. This has been used in other cars as an accessory for short drivers that need a lift.
Just this for placement - not a photo of the spacer.

What I mean is remove the rubber spacers and instead insert a tubular light steel, drill holes for the seat bolts.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 093510.png

Back
Top Bottom