The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
With a sore left hip and slight curvature of the spine!
I'm sure you can find a Bikram studio or chiroadjuster
Failing that, a new spare part!
As an orthopaedic surgeon told me when I was an ortho resident , "You only heal with cold steel"

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 AM
Reaction score
Just this for placement - not a photo of the spacer.

What I mean is remove the rubber spacers and instead insert a tubular light steel, drill holes for the seat bolts.

View attachment 7826380
Yep can do, the rubber spacers are often used in racing go-carts (100mph+) and some racing seats, they also do aluminium and steel versions.
At the end of the day none of these are being crash-tested so its all at your your own risk. I will order some metal spacers now I know what fits and works. Many thanks, JJ

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if something like this may actually fit:
GSMPerform-FIAMount.jpg

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
So by putting in the spacers it allows roughly the same height as max (well you can go higher) but the seat is now further back, as it moves forward when you make it higher on the pump.
I agree Joe. I came to the same conclusion on the weekend. Lifting the seat to where I want it brought it forward too much (as you've said it moves up and forward).

I'm will also look at modifying the flooring to give more room for the left foot. Looks like the "footrest" has been maximised to prevent boots getting caught under the brake pedal. The rest is OK if focussing off-road but long trip will be less than ideal.

Its the only aspect of the vehicle I dislike.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting isn't it? I don't mind it at all. In fact I'm not even aware of it!
A mate who is much smaller than me loves it. But at 6'2" I struggle with a comfortable position (and coming from a Defender thats saying something.

Removing the flooring improves it, but I'm amazed with the room left to the exhaust that it wasnt eliminated in the design phase.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with making the pedals taller/thicker? As it is floor hinged I would have thought you could 3D print a thicker accelerator pedal or a cover that could be securely fitted over the pedal to effectively bring it closer to the driver.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with making the pedals taller/thicker? As it is floor hinged I would have thought you could 3D print a thicker accelerator pedal or a cover that could be securely fitted over the pedal to effectively bring it closer to the driver.
There is a thread or photo, someone put a block, for want of a better word behind the accelerator pedal, now it's the same hight as the brake.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A mate who is much smaller than me loves it. But at 6'2" I struggle with a comfortable position (and coming from a Defender thats saying something.

Removing the flooring improves it, but I'm amazed with the room left to the exhaust that it wasnt eliminated in the design phase.
In 5'10 and the footrest is not good on any position. I found two seating zones that worked better than the rest, but they both push my knee in to the centre console plastic... my wife at 5'6 had no issues as she can really get the upright position going and so the squab of seat and her underthigh are resting together comfortably. Still my no.1 design gripe as it has no feasible fix. At least the wet feet issue does!

I'm just turning a blind eye to the foot rest, otherwise I'll think about it too much!!!

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Behind or on top?
The fix was a small block behind the top of the pedal pushing forward but on a steeper angle. Alternatively I reckon you could build up the pedal from the front.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
In 5'10 and the footrest is not good on any position. I found two seating zones that worked better than the rest, but they both push my knee in to the centre console plastic... my wife at 5'6 had no issues as she can really get the upright position going and so the squab of seat and her underthigh are resting together comfortably. Still my no.1 design gripe as it has no feasible fix. At least the wet feet issue does!

I'm just turning a blind eye to the foot rest, otherwise I'll think about it too much!!!
It very unfortunate that the place where you sit in the RHD vehicle was an afterthought.

Looking underneath and the amount of room available I believe there are solutions. Not simple but doable.

I found removing the flooring completely was a good start. Jack the seat rails up a bit. Then a bit of a nip and tuck in the floor panels and you should have a much better solution.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I’ve now driven over the last 3 days 2000+ km and I’m in the ‘what level of hell is this?’ camp with the footrest.

I can’t get comfortable and the only real way to ease it (for me) is to remove my shoes and go barefoot. But still not comfortable for me in any way.

I’m envious of others who don’t have an issue.

I’ll go down the removing the flooring path also to look at options.

- yesterday I drove a Toyota hiace van, and had so much room in my driver’s footwell it was just silly.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve now driven over the last 3 days 2000+ km and I’m in the ‘what level of hell is this?’ camp with the footrest.

I can’t get comfortable and the only real way to ease it (for me) is to remove my shoes and go barefoot. But still not comfortable for me in any way.

I’m envious of others who don’t have an issue.

I’ll go down the removing the flooring path also to look at options.

- yesterday I drove a Toyota hiace van, and had so much room in my driver’s footwell it was just silly.
I am at 3700km driven now and it is by far the no.1 issue I have with this vehicle. My wife at 5'6ish finds it more comfortable but she has a forward and high driving position which gives her just enough foot comfort and gets her left knee clear from touching the centre console.

I too find the most comfort in bare foot or thongs, but runner's and my work create poor comfort in the Gren and I take them off before driving.

Yeah I fail too see how this got through all the PT models and the supposed 1.8M miles of testing. But it's not going anywhere and I'm just happy enough the rest of the vehicle's Pros outweigh this poor design outcomr and and the obvious quality checking failure on this element of the RHD.

As ilI write this I'm in thongs on the Gren :sneaky:

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am considering rocking up in thongs next Thursday to collect my beast. It's my usual dress code around Cairns and anything else, is too warm. Crossing fingers and thongs that cyclone Jasper 🌀 doesn't delay another delivery, however saying that, there isn't much that's going or move this heavy beast. It's more about protecting the body from flying debris.

Back to the footwell intrusion, I'm also surprised that it wasn't picked up and corrected in testing. I believe it was picked up, but the fix would have meant significant changes and therefore significant more delays.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am considering rocking up in thongs next Thursday to collect my beast. It's my usual dress code around Cairns and anything else, is too warm. Crossing fingers and thongs that cyclone Jasper 🌀 doesn't delay another delivery, however saying that, there isn't much that's going or move this heavy beast. It's more about protecting the body from flying debris.

Back to the footwell intrusion, I'm also surprised that it wasn't picked up and corrected in testing. I believe it was picked up, but the fix would have meant significant changes and therefore significant more delays.
It was found in PT01 and they did nothing about it then. When half your market is RHD... it figures though big companies turning a blind eye on simple things. Ask Optus or Quantas CEOs...

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It was found in PT01 and they did nothing about it then. When half your market is RHD... it figures though big companies turning a blind eye on simple things. Ask Optus or Quantas CEOs...
Could be wrong but I don't think anything was done about anything found during the prototype tours - footwell, grab handles, door mirrors, steering damper, fuel tank capacity.... fortunately all the great and good certainly outweighs the bad. 😁

Back
Top Bottom