The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Early Overlanding - Cape York Australia 1975

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
I just finished watching this again and thought I’d share it as something many here might enjoy.
A mate of mine Norm Needham and a friend of his and their partners decided to do the Cape trip back in 1975 on the back of a recent trip by Mike and Mal Leyland, Aussie 4wd’ing pioneers.
Another friend of mine put this together (this is what he does for a living) from old footage Norm took of the trip.
In the video narration that Norm does in the video he’s actually looking at and telling his story to me so the footage is slightly away from the camera for better effect.

Amazing stuff, The trip to Cape York is relatively straightforward these days, and this video shows how difficult it was to overland back in the day.
Norm is one of Australia’s 4wd pioneers and one of natures true gentleman.

I hope you enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/6-vQ2W4Lx3c?si=jixPQzgDtUJX8OQ3

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
Awesome adventure! Everyone who thinks of themselves as "overland adventurers", complete with air-conditioned vehicle and trailer, GPS, cellphones (and now Starlink!), should recalibrate their personal achievements in light of this most enjoyable "movie".
I have to say, this, to me, is a perfect example of Aussie spirit!
In the early '80s, I managed an oilfield business in Brunei and East Malaysia, with Bases in Kuala Belait in Brunei and Miri in Sawawak. They were separated by the Baram river and about 50 km of Jungle. And I had to make the trip weekly. Now, I believe there is a bridge and asphalt road all the way. Back then, there was a ferry across the Baram and a dirt track that, depending on the weather, could be dryish or full of long stretched of deep mud. In places, a bypass could be made along the beach. However, this was more dangerous, as you could get bogged down and there was no rescue! One tide and the vehicle was lost, so I never ventured onto the sand! I was lucky that I had a have a superb J60 Land Cruiser that handled the trip easily, even though it could take quite a few hours to cover the 50 km. And I thought I was pretty "tough"....
Now I see the real deal! I really enkoyed this "recalibration" of my achievements :ROFLMAO:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score
I just finished watching this again and thought I’d share it as something many here might enjoy.
A mate of mine Norm Needham and a friend of his and their partners decided to do the Cape trip back in 1975 on the back of a recent trip by Mike and Mal Leyland, Aussie 4wd’ing pioneers.
Another friend of mine put this together (this is what he does for a living) from old footage Norm took of the trip.
In the video narration that Norm does in the video he’s actually looking at and telling his story to me so the footage is slightly away from the camera for better effect.

Amazing stuff, The trip to Cape York is relatively straightforward these days, and this video shows how difficult it was to overland back in the day.
Norm is one of Australia’s 4wd pioneers and one of natures true gentleman.

I hope you enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/6-vQ2W4Lx3c?si=jixPQzgDtUJX8OQ3
thank you, that's one helluva film 👍

Back
Top Bottom