The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Dream Routes Thread

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
With orders placed, I'm sure many of us are salivating for the day when we get the Gren's keys in our hands and are able to use them for what Sir Jim intended - at least, for the adventuring types (I recognize some will use them for work, but I think NA will mostly be remote area travel users).

So, what are some of the trips you are hoping to take the Grenadier on that you want information about?

And if you've done a trip before, what would you recommend for getting some dirt on the tires?

I recognize there are other resources out there for this information, but a lot of folks have to focus their Social Media time and so having it all on the IneosForum will help save folks from having to wade through a million other forums with a billion other threads as they can get a good foundation on all things Grenadier right here on TheIneosForum.

Again, let's try to keep this to Western North America so that it can be a resource for those living here, and others passing through - if we broaden it to all of NA, it will water down this resource for others a bit as the Right Coast is a good distance away from the Left one. I can share a bit about a number of destinations - Alaska, Yukon, Alberta, and most of BC - but I will wait to see how this thread develops and who is interested in that information.

Key information would be - what makes the trip worth it? What are the main population centres where you can find a Napa or a Princess Auto (Harbour Freight for those who speak American)? What's the gas like - lots of availability, or limited? Is there a best time of year to do the route? And how challenging is it -- are we talking gravel at high speed, or edge-of-your-seat-maybe-some-panel-damage?

Can't wait to hear how people plan to use their Grenadiers, and see how this community can share information about those dreams!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
While I'm confident that the majority of Grenadier owners will never tackle anything beyond a forest service road, there's definitely plenty in the West to explore...

Some routes we've travelled in the past few years include the UT-BDR, ID-BDR (Southern end), plenty around Southern UT (Moab + The Utah 5), lots of various routes zigzagging the SouthWest, Lost Coast in California, and last year we did the "circle" to AK and back (North/West up the Cassiar, South/East on the Alaska Hwy) , unfortunately Top of the World/Klondike Hwys were closed due to fires, but that trip got us all the way to Prudhoe Bay (not nearly as "extreme" as it is hyped to be, nor as rough)

Routes/spots still on my list:
  • Dempster Hwy / Tuktoyaktuk
  • Alexander Mackenzie Trail (this will undoubtedly need a crew of people)
  • Red Coat Trail to Forestry Trunk Road from Elkwater to Waterton to Grande Prairie
  • Any/all of the TransCanadaTrail
  • WA and OR BDRs (WA was on fire when we were there last)
  • PCOR (Pacific Coast Overland Route)
  • And moving East, verging on no longer "the West", Alpine Loop and the various routes through CO. Unfortunately it's always been too snowy when we have been in CO and had the time to explore

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do the Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay. Leave Seattle and drive all through BC along the way.

The WA BDR is a more local goal, along with driving a loop of Victoria Island, but those could probably be done in my current truck.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I started this thread and then took off into the backcountry for 3 weeks; I was working half days so posted a few things and reactions but only now am I get back to responding!

I've always wanted to do the Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay. Leave Seattle and drive all through BC along the way.

The WA BDR is a more local goal, along with driving a loop of Victoria Island, but those could probably be done in my current truck.

In 2015 I did the run to Prudhoe; I was on my Tiger 800XC motorbike and my wife was in our Jeep JKU Rubicon. The road was epic and fun, and we had one rainy day which made it very interesting on the bike. The whole trip was amazing. We did about 13,000 kms in under a month and had to average 600kms per day to get back to work on time. We went through northern BC via the yellowhead, up the Stewart-Cassiar highway with a detour to Stewart and later, Haines. Then Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Prudhoe, then back to Fairbanks and over the Top of the World highway to Dawson City. Sourtoe Cocktail member here and have a vid to prove it. Then we were off south along the Alaska highway back home. Happy to answer any questions recognizing there’s likely changes in 8 years.

When you say Victoria Island, do you mean Vancouver Island? I’m a relatively recent transplant and am still learning the geography but I’d be happy to provide any local Van Island knowledge on routes and such (it’s where I live and where I spent the three weeks!).

Reactions: PBD

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I started this thread and then took off into the backcountry for 3 weeks; I was working half days so posted a few things and reactions but only now am I get back to responding!

In 2015 I did the run to Prudhoe; I was on my Tiger 800XC motorbike and my wife was in our Jeep JKU Rubicon. The road was epic and fun, and we had one rainy day which made it very interesting on the bike. The whole trip was amazing. We did about 13,000 kms in under a month and had to average 600kms per day to get back to work on time. We went through northern BC via the yellowhead, up the Stewart-Cassiar highway with a detour to Stewart and later, Haines. Then Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Prudhoe, then back to Fairbanks and over the Top of the World highway to Dawson City. Sourtoe Cocktail member here and have a vid to prove it. Then we were off south along the Alaska highway back home. Happy to answer any questions recognizing there’s likely changes in 8 years.

When you say Victoria Island, do you mean Vancouver Island? I’m a relatively recent transplant and am still learning the geography but I’d be happy to provide any local Van Island knowledge on routes and such (it’s where I live and where I spent the three weeks!).
Haha yes, Vancouver Island. Since the fastest way there is a ferry to Victoria I always goof up the name. Your Northern trip sounds epic. I am still years away from being ready if I take my boys as planned, but will gladly read any tips or trip reports from others!

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
Trans Sierras -- I have always wanted to do the ENTIRE range South to North. This makes 3 weeks in the Grand Canyon look like childs play however and would likely take 6 weeks. And the level your rig would have to be at to survive Dusy/Ershim, Slick Rock, Rubicon, Fordyce and others in one trip is incredible. No place for IFS!
Mackenzie Trail -- Who does not want to do that?
Alaska -- But find some of those harder runs along the way to make it more interesting
2 Months overlanding in Utah-- Start in Colorado and circle Utah Off Road, wrapping up in the book cliffs maybe
Entire Summer in Colorado -- Same principle as Utah ( man I need to retire)
Tierra Del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay -- Maybe a bit ambitious, but oh what fun

Back
Top Bottom