The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What is the exact procedure to train/learn/register new TPMS sensors to the Grenadier?

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I've bought a new set of already programmed TPMS sensors specifically for the Grenadier. But my tire dealer was not able to register those new TPMS to the Grenadier.
So I'm looking for the recommended procedure for the Grenadier. I can't find any information on how to do this correctly.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've bought a new set of already programmed TPMS sensors specifically for the Grenadier. But my tire dealer was not able to register those new TPMS to the Grenadier.
So I'm looking for the recommended procedure for the Grenadier. I can't find any information on how to do this correctly.
Hi Dieter, I bought new rims for my winter tires and these MX-Sensor. The tyre dealer has a gadget to pair the aftermarket TPMS with the car. And it did work seemless. Indeed he was surprised that the Grenadier is on the list of supported vehicle. Not sure in your case if you need to pair them or just be patient and run the car for some kilometers. In the event of a tyre replacement after I have punctured the tyre it took some five minutes (on the road) that the car did recognise the original IG sensors.

Attachments

• IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Dieter, I bought new rims for my winter tires and these MX-Sensor. The tyre dealer has a gadget to pair the aftermarket TPMS with the car. And it did work seemless. Indeed he was surprised that the Grenadier is on the list of supported vehicle. Not sure in your case if you need to pair them or just be patient and run the car for some kilometers. In the event of a tyre replacement after I have punctured the tyre it took some five minutes (on the road) that the car did recognise the original IG sensors.
I think your tyre dealer did a clone of the original TPMS sensors, so they have the exact same IDs. This is a different approach. I want to pair new TPMS with different IDs with the Grenadier. There must be a procedure to instruct the Grenadier to pair new IDs. Even if you want to rotate your tyres you normally have to pair it again.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think your tyre dealer did a clone of the original TPMS sensors, so they have the exact same IDs. This is a different approach. I want to pair new TPMS with different IDs with the Grenadier. There must be a procedure to instruct the Grenadier to pair new IDs. Even if you want to rotate your tyres you normally have to pair it again.
No clone. He did pair the new sensors with the car's system. This is the device he did use ...1704822292058.png

Local time
Reaction score
I bought one of those in anticipation of new/additional tires. It was suggested in this THREAD
I know this thread, and as I understand it correctly, the Autel TS508 device will be used to clone the original sensors, but can only program Autel MX-sensors.
I'm more asking, what is the official process from INEOS to pair a set of new (already programmed) TPMS sensors with the Grenadier!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
I know this thread, and as I understand it correctly, the Autel TS508 device will be used to clone the original sensors, but can only program Autel MX-sensors.
I'm more asking, what is the official process from INEOS to pair a set of new (already programmed) TPMS sensors with the Grenadier!
Gotcha - I misunderstood. Hopefully someone can provide an answer.

Local time
Reaction score
But honestly, after some research I think the best and cheapest approach would be:
1) buying the AUTEL MaxiTPMS TS508 programming device (160 Euro) or the TS508WF (250 Euro)
2) buying 4x AUTEL MX sensors (30 Euro each)
and cloning the old sensors by myself.
Cheaper than buying OEM sensors from INEOS, and I'll have the full process under control.
And as soon as I or a friend needs another set of wheels for the Grenadier we need just a set of new MX sensors.

Last edited:

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dieter, you are right. The Autel device has been used to create clones of the original sensors. My deepest apologies.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
So the tyre TPMS data on the Grenadier via offroad->temperature view and the TPMS warning high or low temp screen place the wheels in differing positions.

I have a picture showing both when my rear tyres are set much higher than the fronts and one view has the rears on right side of the vehicle as front and rear and the other shows left rear and right front. Neither is correct.

I was having problems running the Grenadier settings menu -> vehicle info -> tyre pressure cold reset (works sometimes) and after inflating for towing to max pressures and it’s a warm Aussie summer day, the cold 340 kpa while towing on the rates gets to 400. The fronts 300 went to 330 and my moniitor was still thinking cold pressure 250) And I got this interesting photo en route: (sorry for the glare)

IMG_2797.jpeg

And this is the delivered tyre positions post PDI procedures.

Most people have the tyres at the same pressures so you don’t spot it.

I’m at software update v1946 so I realize there is a new update coming and I can see if that fixes the orientation difference.

Note: The Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 cannot do OBD validation let alone update yet.

And it appears a difficult procedure for even the manufacturer to get right given my photo, especially when the software misplaces wheels on the two different views.

I am thinking that I run a series of tests with all tyres set to different pressures to work out what the Grenadier actually thinks is where, using on the temperature screen view, and then reprogram the sensors to be in the right place. then vary all tyres by 8psi or 60kpa to trigger the low / high warning and see what the results look like on the temp screen with the TPMS warning side showing.

Results and screen shots back here in a week.

Cheers Doug.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have to note that when tyre cold pressure reset in settings menu worked, it was great.

It showed me that the combined caravan load on the rear tyres needed a higher than recommended pressure for freeway towing (95-98 km/h speeds) going with accepted guidelines that a 5psi change or greater over cold pressure while running under real loads and speeds suggests that the tyres might be under-inflated for the conditions.

However, the intermittent ability to reset cold pressure is annoying, for example you have been on road and deflate tyres for sand when they are still warm, then you get the failure to reset message which redirects you to the user manual (which has no mention of the cold reset procedure let alone what might be a list of reasons why it doesn’t work.)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
well done douggie - good luck. I await a fix for mine in due course. I have new sensors (non-Ineos who wanted £1100!! and they have never worked with the Gren) so awaiting a work around as I have 2x sets of wheels/tyres/sensors. Will post on here if find a solution.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the tyre TPMS data on the Grenadier via offroad->temperature view and the TPMS warning high or low temp screen place the wheels in differing positions.

I have a picture showing both when my rear tyres are set much higher than the fronts and one view has the rears on right side of the vehicle as front and rear and the other shows left rear and right front. Neither is correct.

I was having problems running the Grenadier settings menu -> vehicle info -> tyre pressure cold reset (works sometimes) and after inflating for towing to max pressures and it’s a warm Aussie summer day, the cold 340 kpa while towing on the rates gets to 400. The fronts 300 went to 330 and my moniitor was still thinking cold pressure 250) And I got this interesting photo en route: (sorry for the glare)

View attachment 7839256

And this is the delivered tyre positions post PDI procedures.

Most people have the tyres at the same pressures so you don’t spot it.

I’m at software update v1946 so I realize there is a new update coming and I can see if that fixes the orientation difference.

Note: The Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 cannot do OBD validation let alone update yet.

And it appears a difficult procedure for even the manufacturer to get right given my photo, especially when the software misplaces wheels on the two different views.

I am thinking that I run a series of tests with all tyres set to different pressures to work out what the Grenadier actually thinks is where, using on the temperature screen view, and then reprogram the sensors to be in the right place. then vary all tyres by 8psi or 60kpa to trigger the low / high warning and see what the results look like on the temp screen with the TPMS warning side showing.

Results and screen shots back here in a week.

Cheers Doug.
I had this exact scenario with mine @douggie

When delivered, all pressures were the same for all four tyres, and I just assumed the screen position of each tyre represented the correct physical position. Well, you would, wouldn’t you!

When I inflated the rear tyres as per the handbook recommendations for a heavier load, it became clear my front and rear tyres on the right hand side were inverted.

The only way the dealer could fix it (and they had a few goes at it, including INEOS tech support) was to switch the tyres on the car to match the screen.

Hard to believe, but true.

I don’t even want to think about rotating tyres or fitting the spare wheel …….

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
I had this exact scenario with mine @douggie

When delivered, all pressures were the same for all four tyres, and I just assumed the screen position of each tyre represented the correct physical position. Well, you would, wouldn’t you!

When I inflated the rear tyres as per the handbook recommendations for a heavier load, it became clear my front and rear tyres on the right hand side were inverted.

The only way the dealer could fix it (and they had a few goes at it, including INEOS tech support) was to switch the tyres on the car to match the screen.

Hard to believe, but true.

I don’t even want to think about rotating tyres or fitting the spare wheel …….
So I am guessing there is no way to use the system to check the pressure of the spare? It seems awkward to try to get to the stem since the wheel faces the door, so the TPMS would actually be useful for the spare.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I am guessing there is no way to use the system to check the pressure of the spare? It seems awkward to try to get to the stem since the wheel faces the door, so the TPMS would actually be useful for the spare.
Not at the moment. May have to spin the spare round a bit on it's fittings to get the valve pointing towards rear ladder. Like this aussie did;

View: https://youtu.be/3isFsyGrfh8?si=2MbcDqEJJWMkWJP1

incase not viewed

Local time
Reaction score
Dieter, you are right. The Autel device has been used to create clones of the original sensors. My deepest apologies.
Thanks for confirming, and no need to apologise! I know this topic is not easy to understand, but I'm working through it... 😏

Local time
Reaction score
I already got a confirmation from the supplier of my new TPMS sensor which are specifically programmed for the INEOS Grenadier.
"Currently only an INEOS dealer or workshop can pair the TPMS sensors using the INEOS tester. But in the future it should work like it does with normal vehicles."
And I also learned from another INEOS dealer, pairing new TPMS sensors is a time consuming tasks which does not work always...

So, as I stated before, cloning via the AUTEK device seems to be the best and easiest solution right now. But as @douggie said, there are more software issues going on with the TPMS. :cry:

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So TPMS learnings this week - Playing with Autel MX Sensors for TPMS and the second set of wheels/tyres.

I got to the bottom of my crossed over views from my last post above ... the Right Front and Right Rear were recorded wrong on the Grenadier OBD versus their actual location (this was as the Dealer had delivered that car - they have learned their mistakes too which you can read below).

Now I have my new wheels on, I started with wheels with Autel MX sensors automatically activated to some random code generic codes (not the codes from my old wheels) and I went through each wheel in turn and cloned the old wheel sensor code on to the new wheel Autel MX sensor and then read the sensor (with the Grenadier Ignition on) and then checked the screen. I used the fact that my pressures differed from previous reading by enough to trigger the warning screen as well so I could have both. And correlate where Grenadier through each wheel was an straight off it got confused with the right rear and put it in two places (and on one view neither was the Right Rear which is still showing blank)

Wheels RR and LF done (RR is showing up in multiple locations - this is the indication of in the wrong place on the Grenadier OBD versus the actual Tyre location) - This was a deliberate choice - I stayed clear of the locations where there was ambiguity (which was everywhere but the LF wheel) and in the two views I have the tyre in 3 different locations:

IMG_2976 Medium.jpeg

To help with my process these were important steps:
1) I set all tyres to be slightly different pressures (by at least 4kPa) and went through checking.
2) I set the units to kPa on my Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 and on the Grenadier (cause its more sensitive and then I didn't have to change the tyres by as much as the Grenadier doesn't show psi with decimal places) ... note that Autel and Grenadier may differ by up to 3kPa as their maths for conversion must be slightly different (and the sensor will hand out a reading converted by the software to the unit of choice). So within 3kPa it is the same tyre, and I note the temp seems to agree between both Grenadier and my TPMS tool (And also there is a fraction of time difference between the two measurements as I can't be in two places at once) .
3) I also set the Autel TS508 to be able to program ignoring that the sensor has pressure allowing me to recode the inflated wheel sensors (this is a safety feature on a Autel unit set by default to stop you inadvertently wiping out the wrong tyre when doing sets of wheels, where once the wheel is inflated to above 8psi the programming of the sensor is blocked by the tool).

Result back at delivered location settings (with the new wheels) but not matching physical placement: And I can see that two wheels are swapped RR & RF (versus my TPMS tool measure round the car) - I used the kPa as the Grenadier view doesn't show the TPMS ID

IMG_2985 Medium.jpeg IMG_2990 Medium.jpeg

I recognised the issue of the wheel swap and recoded the sensors to the match what the OBD i trying to show (rather than swapping the newly mounted wheels) and all is good with the world. All 4 tyres correct and with a simple cold pressure reset, the warning screen will go away.

IMG_2988 Medium.jpeg IMG_2990 Medium.jpeg

@MossyIG suggests that 75F is the limit at which you can't perform a cold reset (well my tyres started today at 24C and I was able to do the cold reset at the end) - I can't find the value documented anywhere through. And later I can do a successful reset with a tyre at 39C 103F)

Final result (after a short drive as the cold reset doesn't show immediately): (I could also have trigger the sensors with the TPMS tool I suspect... and the pressures have change due to the drive so I now have two same kPa but different temp so can still tell them apart)

IMG_2994 Medium.jpeg

I do note though that it is not a high enough threshold for an on-road pressure change and its low enough also that some days on my last road trip a cold tyre reset at the beginning of the day didn't work either.... still a bit to work out here:

Discussion with one of the techs at Ignition Car Center gave me some insight on TPMS relearn from their end today.
  • Its actually easy, if you know the trick - you must start with the Right Hand Front Wheel and work around finishing with the spare (99% of TPMS ops starts with the LF not RF wheel). And the Grenadier does hold the spare tyre too in its learn procedure... so I am going to test whether it uses that info or not.
  • Note: The Grenadier will NOT self relearn from a swap of wheels (fronts to backs) - you need to use the Ineos Test Tool and do the TPMS Relearn procedure (or if you are liked me with an Autel TPMS tool and Autel Sensors that can be reprogrammed note all the tyre sensor IDs down and put the sensor IDs back to the right place after a wheel swap)

So talking my new learnings, I will do some new tests:
1) SPARE test My next test will be "put the spare on to one of the drive wheels and the drive wheel to the spare) - using Autel MX Magic rather than physical tyre/wheel changes
2) Find the cold relearn limit (I will test by leaving the vehicle out in the sun and checking the cold rest option until I can confirm the upper limit in Celcius where it stops.
Number 2) test today thinking why not after my short drive- I managed a tyre cold pressure reset today at 39C (when I took the final photo above - front right was 39C) (so perhaps my answer to pressures is to do the cold reset a little higher than cold but not too high to not work) - ambient had got up to 29 degrees on my driveway so that maybe outside temp might play into it too for the cold pressure rest op... hmmm
IMG_2997 Medium.jpeg IMG_2998 Medium.jpeg

And lastly I would like to gather data on the issue because under Australian drive conditions towing on summer days I can't stay within the magic TPMS variation so I get alerted to death on the trip by the TPMS every 20-30s or so flashing up on the main screen (this with with the OEM KO2 tyres at full vehicle GVM at max recommended pressures). I'll see whether the Yokohama GO16 LT285/70R17s are any different on my next tow outing on freeways ~ 90-95kmh.

So questions out to anyone: For the rear tyres - are you running in to TPMS alerts?

Tyre manufacture & sizeRear axle weight / total vehicle weight (including towball weight)Rear Cold PressureAlerts (max observed)
KO2 LT265/70R172000 / 3550 (incl 200 towball)~340kPA cold (I inflated to 50psi which is a shade over 340)410kPA high pressure alerts (Amber) max temp at 57 (but green still)

Back
Top Bottom