The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

(Disappointed after 5000 km....shame could have been a good car.) Enttäuscht nach 5000 km….schade hätte ein gutes Auto werden können.

Smarty24

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Once again.. I grew up in a repair shop.. My dad was a Mitsubishi agent and Dealership and there were a lot of Pajero..
Of course I am not an overlander.. The purpose of our customers were almost all farmer and hunter. Very few fun owner. Perhaps faced other challenges than you. We had few recovery challenges..
No matter, still consider me a theorist..
I will see how my Grenadier will be.
But dont consider me and others as theorist..
but perhaps being a theorist is not too bad. Ar least I am able to read the specifications..

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 47

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wise words that become even wiser when they are not written (or shared with a photo…) but only been thought.
(I have my Grenadier and drove more than 5.000 km myself)

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
To be fair this post was opened in the German speaking area but moved into the international part since it's not allowed to make any German speaking threads in the DACH area...
In the first post "Guidelines" from the German Language forum, writen by @Stu_Barnes :"You can use your native language for this section of the forum."

I'm confused...

AWo

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Ich war total begeistert von der Idee des Grenadiers. Robust, wertig, nur soviel Elektonik wie nötig ein Auto für harte Arbeit und ein langes Autoleben.
Leider entspricht die Realität nicht dem Marketing. Die hübschen Filmchen und die Präsentationen beim Händler entsprechen nicht dem Produkt, leider. Ich wollte ihn immer mögen…selbst jetzt will ich es noch aber die Kiste macht es einem sau schwer.
Was von vielen Hardcorefans als „Kleinigkeiten„ abgetan werden machen einem das Leben im Alltag schwer…die Kiste nervt in vielen Dingen.
Bin gerade mit dem Teil auf Frankreichtour und jeden Tag gibt es eine neue Überraschung. Mal geht mitten auf der Autobahn die „Gurtwarnung“ an und bimmelt dann unaufhörlich vor sich hin….auch nach Pause und Neustart lies es sich nicht beheben. Irgenwann war es dann wieder weg….aber 200 Km auf der Bahn mit ständigem Gebimmel kosten Nerven. Dann fielen die Blinker aus…kein Spaß mitten in der Stadt. Zur Zeit funktioniert die Tankanzeige nicht. Das Fahrzeug lässt sich nicht mit dem Funkschlüssel schließen, der Heckscheibenwischer läuft plötzlich oder die Fehlermeldung fordert dazu auf die Bremse zu treten. Komplett irre ! Dazu kommen die mechanischen Probleme wie die unpräzise Lenkung und die Vibrationen zwischen 100-125 km/h also genau dem Bereich den man auf Langstrecken im Ausland braucht. Dann ist er nicht dicht, es regnet rein bei starkem Regen. Die Windschutzscheibe beschlägt durch die Klimaanlage. Die Ergonomie stimmt nicht, so kommt man z.B. nicht an die Lehnenverstellung der Sitze ohne sich die Finger zu klemmen. Der Wendekreis ist für ein Fahrzeug dieser Außmasse viel zu grpß und macht das Altagesleben beschwerlich. Der Monitor mit der Geschwindigkeitsanzeige in der Mitte und dem Navi weit aussen machen immer Blickwendungen nötig die anstrengen….es hat schon seinen Grund warum die Anzeigen seit Jahrzehnten immer möglichst vor dem Fahrer platziert werden. Die Höhe von 2,05 Metern verhindert die Einfahrt in viele Garagen ,Tiefgaragen oder Parkplätze. Dazu kommt der schlechte Service. 5 Jahre Garantie nutzen wenig wenn Ersatzteile nicht lieferbar sind oder Händler auch nicht wissen was sie bei Problemen machen sollen. Selbstverständlichens Zubehör wie Anhängerkupplung sind nicht lieferbar. Selbst Fussmatten können nicht geliefert werden. Ich habe nun schon viele Geländewagen mein eigen genann. wie Jeep, Landrover, Suzuki, Hyundai, Mitsubishi…aber das hab ich noch nie erlebt und mir so auch nicht vorstellen können. Der Grenadier ist zur Zeit ein teures Fahrzeug für Fans und Bastler. Für den Alltag oder das Geschäft meiner Meinung nach völlig ungeeignet. Schade.
For the benefit of the majority of the viewership of the forum....

'I was totally thrilled with the idea of the grenadier. Robust, valuable, only as much electronics as necessary a car for hard work and a long car life.

Unfortunately, the reality does not correspond to marketing. The pretty movies and the presentations at the dealer don't correspond to the product, unfortunately. I always wanted to like it...even now I still want it but the box makes it really hard.

What is dismissed by many hardcore fans as "little things" makes life difficult for you in everyday life...the box is annoying in many things.

I'm currently touring France with the part and every day there is a new surprise. Sometimes the "belt warning" goes on in the middle of the highway and then whines incessantly....even after a break and restart it could not be fixed. At some point it was gone again....but 200 km on the train with constant buzz cost nerves. Then the turn signals fell out...no fun in the middle of the city. The fuel gauge is not working at the moment. The vehicle cannot be closed with the remote control key, the rear window wiper runs suddenly or the error message prompts you to step on the brake. Completely crazy! In addition, there are the mechanical problems such as the imprecise steering and the vibrations between 100-125 km/h, so exactly the area you need on long distances abroad. Then it is not tight, it rains purely in heavy rain. The windshield fogs up by the air conditioning. The ergonomics are not right, so you can't get to the backrest adjustment of the seats without pinching your fingers. The turning circle is far too big for a vehicle of this outside mass and makes old life arduous. The monitor with the speed display in the middle and the navigation system far outside always make eyeturns necessary that strain....there is already its reason why the displays have always been placed in front of the driver as much as possible for decades. The height of 2.05 meters prevents entry into many garages, underground garages or parking lots. In addition, there is the poor service. 5-year warranty is of little use if spare parts are not available or dealers do not know what to do in case of problems. Of course, accessories such as towbar are not available. Even floor mats cannot be delivered. I have already named many off-road vehicles of my own. such as Jeep, Landrover, Suzuki, Hyundai, Mitsubishi...but I have never experienced that and could not imagine it. The grenadier is currently an expensive vehicle for fans and hobbyists. In my opinion, completely unsuitable for everyday life or business. Too bad.'

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score

'I was totally thrilled with the idea of the grenadier. Robust, valuable, only as much electronics as necessary a car for hard work and a long car life.

Unfortunately, the reality does not correspond to marketing. The pretty movies and the presentations at the dealer don't correspond to the product, unfortunately. I always wanted to like it...even now I still want it but the box makes it really hard.

What is dismissed by many hardcore fans as "little things" makes life difficult for you in everyday life...the box is annoying in many things.

I'm currently touring France with the part and every day there is a new surprise. Sometimes the "belt warning" goes on in the middle of the highway and then whines incessantly....even after a break and restart it could not be fixed. At some point it was gone again....but 200 km on the train with constant buzz cost nerves. Then the turn signals fell out...no fun in the middle of the city. The fuel gauge is not working at the moment. The vehicle cannot be closed with the remote control key, the rear window wiper runs suddenly or the error message prompts you to step on the brake. Completely crazy! In addition, there are the mechanical problems such as the imprecise steering and the vibrations between 100-125 km/h, so exactly the area you need on long distances abroad. Then it is not tight, it rains purely in heavy rain. The windshield fogs up by the air conditioning. The ergonomics are not right, so you can't get to the backrest adjustment of the seats without pinching your fingers. The turning circle is far too big for a vehicle of this outside mass and makes old life arduous. The monitor with the speed display in the middle and the navigation system far outside always make eyeturns necessary that strain....there is already its reason why the displays have always been placed in front of the driver as much as possible for decades. The height of 2.05 meters prevents entry into many garages, underground garages or parking lots. In addition, there is the poor service. 5-year warranty is of little use if spare parts are not available or dealers do not know what to do in case of problems. Of course, accessories such as towbar are not available. Even floor mats cannot be delivered. I have already named many off-road vehicles of my own. such as Jeep, Landrover, Suzuki, Hyundai, Mitsubishi...but I have never experienced that and could not imagine it. The grenadier is currently an expensive vehicle for fans and hobbyists. In my opinion, completely unsuitable for everyday life or business. Too bad.'
For a minute there I thought they were your comments Stu.

Reactions: Max

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score

In addition, there is the poor service. 5-year warranty is of little use if spare parts are not available or dealers do not know what to do in case of problems.

Excellent point and one that is a top concern for me. I'm fortunate to have only a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest dealer/service center. But when you couple that long a drive plus the prospect of a bunch of head scratchin' and beard pullin' when you bring it in for service until you finally hear: "Good news! We've isolated the issue to the thingamabob. Of course, we'll have to order the new part, but first the part needs to be in stock before we can order it, and it's not actually in stock - darn supply chain issues(!) - and we don't know when it will be back in stock - so, we'll keep you posted" and you have a recipe for major frustration. Maybe Ineos should add a new 3D Printer Accessory option to the Configurator.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent point and one that is a top concern for me. I'm fortunate to have only a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest dealer/service center. But when you couple that long a drive plus the prospect of a bunch of head scratchin' and beard pullin' when you bring it in for service until you finally hear: "Good news! We've isolated the issue to the thingamabob. Of course, we'll have to order the new part, but first the part needs to be in stock before we can order it, and it's not actually in stock - darn supply chain issues(!) - and we don't know when it will be back in stock - so, we'll keep you posted" and you have a recipe for major frustration. Maybe Ineos should add a new 3D Printer Accessory option to the Configurator.
Aren't dealers meant to carry a range of pare parts?

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Wise words that become even wiser when they are not written (or shared with a photo…) but only been thought.
(I have my Grenadier and drove more than 5.000 km myself)
I agree...have had mine now for 3700kms...absolutely brilliant

In life...it is important to stop believing everything one thinks... ;)

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if the spare part problem is as big as people think .
I got a windscreen in 10 days , filters and oils in a week .
Ordered a lot of parts because i am adding an inverter which are already showing up . Have all my accessories except the recovery kit ( which is red winch problem ) .

Sorry to hear about your issues my friend but as someone who daily drives their gren i cannot say i share your experiences.

Reactions: PBD

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Bezüglich der Geschwindigkeit kann ich Dir die App „Waze“ empfehlen. Da kannst Du einstellen welche Geschwindigkeitsübertretung für Dich ok ist. Bei einer entsprechenden Überscheitung kommt ein Warnton. Das ist viel besser als der ständige Blick aufs Display. (Egal, ob vor dem Lenkrad oder zentral)
————-

Regarding the speed, I can recommend the app "Waze". There you can set which speeding limit is OK for you. If you exceed this limit, you will hear a warning tone. This is much better than constantly looking at the display. (No matter whether in front of the steering wheel or centrally).
The Gren has a speed warning also . You can set it from the infotainment screen .

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Answering in English . because this is an international thread.

The reason of steering system, vehicle height and will not fit in some multistorey car parks - your should have known before signing the contract. So that is certainly not a fault but a part of spec.
The issues of water entry are known here and also software gremlins are also discussed - the same on vibrations, transfer case topic.

So there are also solutions to it. And a reason why I ordered not one of the very first ones - but late enough to allow some training.

I was also always realistic that Ineos never had an automotive history - but a newbie in the business. So there is a learning curve. I never had the intention to be the first to own one for obvious reason.
And you think Ineos doesn't care? On the opposite e.g. @emax got notified by the agent to have his transfer case replaced and he did not complain about it. So indeed there are topics.. some owners seem affected some less, some not at all. So we will see..
So I accept you re unhappy.. there are a few here with reasonable critics on the Grenadier - e.g @Jean Mercier or @emax
At the end quality topics must be resolved by Ineos. But still and that is why I still wondering about you. - Complaining about the steering and the sheer size of the vehicle is something that should have known before signing the contract. That is all in the specs.

If you go and purchase a Toyota.. will you also sign without reading specs and test drive.. ?
Well Klarie, you have made it very clear that you are a very smart person and despite the vehicle's "feet of clay" and Ineos's many broken promises you will stand by the Grenadier while insulting those who have had problems. I'm sure that makes you feel much better....

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bezüglich der Geschwindigkeit kann ich Dir die App „Waze“ empfehlen. Da kannst Du einstellen welche Geschwindigkeitsübertretung für Dich ok ist. Bei einer entsprechenden Überscheitung kommt ein Warnton. Das ist viel besser als der ständige Blick aufs Display. (Egal, ob vor dem Lenkrad oder zentral)
————-

Regarding the speed, I can recommend the app "Waze". There you can set which speeding limit is OK for you. If you exceed this limit, you will hear a warning tone. This is much better than constantly looking at the display. (No matter whether in front of the steering wheel or centrally).
I use Sygic - off-line maps for whole country so brilliant up here in North Queensland Australia.

As for rest of commentary. I agree the early adopters - us are definitely seeing more than normal bugs / issues compared to an established brand. But that is not a surprise. Personally I just drove mine on 500km trips twice last week and had the best drive for a long time. My other car is a bmw X6 and tbh I preferred doing the long drive in the ineos.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and it takes all sorts to make the world are two adages that come to mind.

I love my vehicle. Many others do too. For those that don’t - my unsolicited advice is to sell for a profit and move on. The resale market is pretty strong so good outcome for existing disgruntled and excited potential new buyer too.

Thanks for sharing your story. The number of faults you experience is more than me which is sad to hear and is definitely not typical, so should be rectifiable by the service agent would be my take on it.

Good luck.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And PPS.

Today my VW golf had a major ECU failure - all warning lamps are flashing and says every major system is upset. It’s currently at VW dealer getting reset / fixed.

A few years ago my brand new BMW X6 just 2 weeks after buying it had every major electronic system fail whilst driving and it was in the shop for nearly a month being diagnosed and eventually partly rewired and ecu gateway replaced.

Some time before that I had a month old Peugeot 106 GTI develop a massive oil leak and warning lights galore - only to be towed to Peugeot who did a software reset and cleaned the engine bay. Said it was a software glitch. Never happened again.

My point being sometimes it’s easy to forget that even quality long established brands have problems such as we’re getting on the ineos. Just not to the same frequency is the only difference which is due to the “newness” and untested nature of a new car brand.

At least it’s not a Tesla and driving me into the side of a light blue truck thinking it is blue sky. Or a Mercedes driving me into a roadworks bollard auto-correcting the steering to stay in lane when the lane is blocked by roadworks. Both these were real events that led to loss of life and limb in other vehicles. Hurrah for ineos not having such advanced automaticity.

I’m delighted at the lack of electronic autonomous assistance in the ineos and so very happy to put up with the unique “new brand” quirks for now.

😀

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Gren has a speed warning also . You can set it from the infotainment screen .
Yes I know, but the speed limits change that often that changing them manually is not really an option for me. This feature would help me for long distances or a general speed limit on the highway. Outside of Germany I would set it to the maximum allowed in the country for example.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got the car on May 4, 11500 km on the counter.
Let's begin with the bad things, but most of the "older forum members" know my issues:
  • Leaks at Safari roofs (diagnosed myself, temporarily solution myself)
  • Windscreen water sprayer didn't work as suited after 3 months. One replaced at dealer , other one not.
  • Of course, software glitches. I almost always have to put ignition on and of one or several times before they are gone
  • Very annoying bell sound of probably the front stabilisator when bouncing on stones, holes or speed limiters.
  • Didn't get one of the accessories: roof bars.
  • Door knobs get sometimes stuck
  • Airco didn't work: repaired end of July
  • Small people have difficulties to get in and out
  • Yes some parking lots are limited to 2m height, but I knew it.
  • Bad autonomy, 600 km being my maximum distance.
  • Too early warnings: driving now already two weeks with a maintenance warning, and the out of petrol warning goes on with still 30 liter in the tank.
  • No trunk cover, but I knew this
  • Hidden auxiliary powerpoints: no info from Ineos, got the info here!
  • Did I forget something?
The good things:
  • Very nice and comfortable driving
  • Powerful car
  • Spaceful
  • Start-Stop works very fast and nicely
  • Nice fixation rails and anchor points in the car
  • Fantastic off-road performance compared to my Suzuki Grand Vitara (my former car), and as good or probably better than my Mitsubishi Pajero (1991-2000)
The last point is very recent experience from yesterday and the day before in Romania.

Two days ago, to avoid a huge detour of 45 minutes at 6 PM, and being at 2 km distance of my pension, I crawled in and out of a big road working hole. Second attempt did it!

Yesterday, I took a sometimes muddy and narrow forest track - not on any of my maps or navigation systems - of many km (didn't measure) and about 3 hours driving. At a certain moment it was clear that no car had taken the track since a long time because a tree had fallen on the track. Luckily I could circumvent it by driving around it in the forest. Central and rear diff on. And later on some branches to move and cut. I have some very nice scratches too. And it was somewhat risky: I was alone, no other car and no passenger. So being stuck would have been hell.

I am very impressed by the off road performance! Very! And yes, for me this car is a toy.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use Sygic - off-line maps for whole country so brilliant up here in North Queensland Australia.

As for rest of commentary. I agree the early adopters - us are definitely seeing more than normal bugs / issues compared to an established brand. But that is not a surprise. Personally I just drove mine on 500km trips twice last week and had the best drive for a long time. My other car is a bmw X6 and tbh I preferred doing the long drive in the ineos.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, and it takes all sorts to make the world are two adages that come to mind.

I love my vehicle. Many others do too. For those that don’t - my unsolicited advice is to sell for a profit and move on. The resale market is pretty strong so good outcome for existing disgruntled and excited potential new buyer too.

Thanks for sharing your story. The number of faults you experience is more than me which is sad to hear and is definitely not typical, so should be rectifiable by the service agent would be my take on it.

Good luck.
@RYAustralia
thank you for the tip re. Sygic. I used it years ago when visiting the UK and Ireland. However I sort of lost touch as it was on a Samsung tablet which is now out of date (Android 4 not able to be updated).
Are you able to use Sygic on the screen in the Grenadier via your phone? And is the phone Android or Apple?

Back
Top Bottom