The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Differences between grenadier versions

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Have you seen the drawer kits that goes in the rear compartment? The drawers are supposed to be flush with the rear seats when the seats are folded down. This might work as a sleeping platform. Head-room won't be great when you sit up, but it should work if you are not too fussy. The length of the space isn't great, which has me (perhaps) waiting on the long wheel-base.

View attachment 7798297

P.S. The drawers do not come standard with a dog. The dog is extra.
No dog No buy! Joke aside... Where are those add-ons listed? Haven't seen this on the website but though about constructing something like this myself if I had knowledge about the hight of the flat backseats or if they are even.

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the EU market so far as I am aware , the same as the U.K.,there are not Trialmaster and Fieldmaster versions in the utility spec. Trialmaster and Fieldmaster are classed as station wagon passenger vehicles and attract high road tax. Utility versions in two seat or five seat (rear seats moved 70mm forward to allow more utility space in the rear) are classed as commercial vehicles and attract lower road tax. You can spec a utility vehicle with the same options and accessories as a “Belstaff” version as I have done with a two seater, you just won’t get the Belstaff jacket.
This is far better explained in the downloadable brochure though. Hope this helps.
Ah ok that makes sense. Just checked briefly the tax situation here in Ger and it's similar. We call loosely translated "car tax". Then it's going to be utility all the way for me.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Bugger. According to the engel website the 60L engel is going to be too long for the back of the IG. That sucks a big one.
I hope Ive got my measurements wrong because it looks like the 40L will barely fit with handles attached.

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So currently trying to find a reasonable configuration for the Ineos.
I went with a FIELDMASTER (easy to spec and fairly generic) - the rear has 60/40 split seats. I like the idea of a bed when needed and I am alone... I have a box in a Caravelle with two drawers - a cooker and plumbing/water in the other. The bed folds out - I will create a new box for the Grenadier. The Ineos battery is under the rear seat, so I will rethink when the truck arrives. It is shorter than the VW. Its internal length is circa 160 CM, but not an issue to me. It is not meant to be palatial ... excuse the crap photo

Attachments

• the drawers.png
    the drawers.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 42

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah ok that makes sense. Just checked briefly the tax situation here in Ger and it's similar. We call loosely translated "car tax". Then it's going to be utility all the way for me.
Did you already download the brochure from the website? There are the differences regarding the load space put in words quite understandable.
The station wagon only has less cargo in the back space and more passengers room on the backseats.
Trialmaster and Fieldmaster editions have been probably made up to bring up the prices and earn at least some money with the first cars.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hi denym,

in Germany, they offer
  • The Fieldmaster SW
  • The Trialmaster SW, both of which are pre-configured packages where you can not remove any of the the packed options.
  • The Utility version which is a basic setup where the back seats are mounted 7 cm closer to the front and the back rest is a bit steeper. The back seat can however be mounted in alternative mounting points as of today's models we have seen so far. The angle of the back rest might be changeable as well, but I am not sure about this.
I was interested in the Trialmaster, but I finally decided to spec a Utility to my needs. Here is why:
  • I didn't want the raised air intake (RAI). It's not a snorkel (i.e. not waterproof) and adds over 700€ (for a one meter plastic tube) to the cost. Besides this it causes significant drag which makes a noticeable difference in fuel burn.
  • The RAI can not be deselected in the Trialmaster, so this was the first parameter against a Trialmaster for me.
  • The other thing is the tax. The Trialmaster (and Fieldmaster as well) is an M1 rated car and costs you around 1000 Euros displacement tax (car tax) a year. The utility however is an N1 rated car and costs you around 300 Euros tax a year.
  • You can spec the Utility to be almost identical to a Trialmaster or Fieldmaster. The only difference is the different back seat which is unavoidable to get an N1 rating.
  • The rear windows can be changed as well: You have the choice of either panels or glass windows at no extra costs - AFAIR.
In Germany, Ineos decided not to offer a basic SW. This is for sure a marketing thing: First, the cars around will look very fancy with all the extras of a Trialmaster or Fieldmaster. And good-looking cars are a good advertisement. Second, they will sell a bunch of options automatically - and as we all know, they make the most profit per investment for a car manufacturer.

So the simple choice is:
  • Buy a utility and spec it to your needs and save tax. Accept the different back seat and modify it if necessary and feasible.
  • Buy one of the SW-editions Trialmaster/Fieldmaster and accept that you can not deselect options you don't like. Pay more tax.
As easy as that. ;-)

EDIT: some typos

Last edited:

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi denym,

in Germany, they offer
  • The Fieldmaster SW
  • The Trialmaster SW, both of which are preconfigured packages where you can not remove any of the the packed options.
  • The Utility version which is a basic setup where the back seats a mounted 7 cm closer to the front and the back rest is a bit steeper. The back seat can however be mouned in alternative mounting points as of todays models we have seen so far. The angle of the back rest might be changeable as well, but I am not sure about this.
I was interested in the Trialmaster, but I finally decided to spec a Utility to my needs. Here is why:
  • I didn't want the raised air intake (RAI). It's not a snorkel (i.e. not waterproof) and adds over 700€ (for a one meter plastic tube) to the cost. Besides this it causes significant drag which makes a noticable difference in fuel burn.
  • The RAI can not be deselected in the Trialmaster, so this was the first parameter against a Trialmaster for me.
  • The other thing is the tax. The Trialmaster (and Fieldmaster as well) is an M1 rated car and costs you around 1000 Euros displacement tax (car tax) a year. The utility however is an N1 rated car and costs you around 300 Euros tax a year.
  • You can spec the Utility to be almost identical to a Trialmaster or Fieldmaster. The only difference is the different back seat which is unavoidable to get an N1 rating.
  • The rear windows can be changed as well: You have the choice of either panels or glass windows at mo extra costs - AFAIR.
In Germany, Ineos decided not to offer a basic SW. This is for sure a marketing thing: First, the cars around will look very fancy with all the extras of a Trialmaster or Fieldmaster. And good-looking cars are a good advertisement. Second, they will sell a bunch of options automatically - and as we all know, they make the most profit per investment for a car manufacturer.

So the simple choice is:
  • Buy a utility and spec it to your needs and save tax. Accept the different back seat and modify it if necessary and feasible.
  • Buy one of the SW-editions Trialmaster/Fieldmaster and accept that you can not deselect options you don't like. Pay more tax.
As easy as that. ;-)

Ahh thanks for the lovely summary. Since backseats are for me just a backup for human transportation I am fine if they are less comfortable :) Utility it is. Since it seems that the backseats can be mounted alternatively it might be also feasible to take them out or in as required.
Quite surprising that its not a snorkel was already wondering why they mentioned the dust/sand and not anything else. I would have though that such cars especially in northern hemisphere are more likely to go for a light swim then having to battle with dust.

That they offer no basic SW in germany for marketing reasons might be true. Also people here tend to always buy highest upgrades as possible in this price range. Can't even remember if I have seen any G-class which is not AMG in recent years.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thought about a dealer to visit? There is none in Berlin, the nearest is in Leibzig.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I measured the rear cargo area depth. The longest draw system you could get in the back is about 700, maybe 725mm. About a foot shorter than a landcruiser. You’ve got about a foot higher to work with though, so just got to get your head around the logistics of that. I still haven’t measured my 60L engel to see if it will fit.

With a built in fridge slide I’ll want a double drawer system though rather than single. Max width for both is about 1050mm from memory.
…that’s with the rear seat in the rearmost location, no? I measured a bit longer than that, and am now thinking I should’ve just run the LIDAR over it quickly.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
…that’s with the rear seat in the rearmost location, no? I measured a bit longer than that, and am now thinking I should’ve just run the LIDAR over it quickly.
That’s from the top of the seat to the door with the seat in normal position, so yes the floor to door probably has another 100 or so maybe. I was working on needing to gauge the top of the fridge.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi denym,

in Germany, they offer
  • The Fieldmaster SW
  • The Trialmaster SW, both of which are preconfigured packages where you can not remove any of the the packed options.
  • The Utility version which is a basic setup where the back seats a mounted 7 cm closer to the front and the back rest is a bit steeper. The back seat can however be mouned in alternative mounting points as of todays models we have seen so far. The angle of the back rest might be changeable as well, but I am not sure about this.
  • I didn't want the raised air intake (RAI). It's not a snorkel (i.e. not waterproof) and adds over 700€ (for a one meter plastic tube) to the cost. Besides this it causes significant drag which makes a noticable difference in fuel burn.
  • The rear windows can be changed as well: You have the choice of either panels or glass windows at mo extra costs - AFAIR.

So the simple choice is:
As easy as that. ;-)
I understand but I didn't consider the tax or the registration or the insurance.
I just configured the vehicle I wanted and ordered it.
It cost what it cost

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I understand but I didn't consider the tax or the registration or the insurance.
I just configured the vehicle I wanted and ordered it.
It cost what it cost
Some might be not that fortunate and have to do some calculations to make it fit. Even I who is unmarried and without kids and a solid salary in western europe have to calculate twice. Just insurance for me is going to be quite a heavy hitter (Since its first car thats directly insured by me). And emax summarized it quite nicely for people living in Europe since laws are fairly the same in the countries.
Thought about a dealer to visit? There is none in Berlin, the nearest is in Leibzig.
Ye had a short little chat with them today. The might get a show model quite soon. Currently they only can help out with whats happening on the website since they are no resellers or anything. Just local service partner for delivery and consultation. He recommened to just order whatever I like and then make the call as soon as the production date hits.

Which I will prob will do next week :D Woop Woop

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
No dog No buy! Joke aside... Where are those add-ons listed? Haven't seen this on the website but though about constructing something like this myself if I had knowledge about the hight of the flat backseats or if they are even.
Sorry - I found this image on the forum. Maybe someone else can help?

denym_

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't agree: Berlin, Germany is one of the biggest frauds _ever_!
At least to the rest of the country...

Ok, OT. But had to be said.
Ah well hate towards berlin never gets old huh.
Anyways where is the battery and electrics stored when its a 2 Seater? Photos show that below the backseats are tons of electric and the batteries which can be an issue modifying those seats. Since there is a 2 seater with additional battery possible there must be some other area where its stored. Any idea?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ah well hate towards berlin never gets old huh.
Don't overestimate. Hate would involve very strong emotions. Berlin will not be able to cause something even close, don't worry.
But certainly: As long as it stays parasitic to the rest of the country, there's limited space for love ;-)

Anyways where is the battery and electrics stored when its a 2 Seater? Photos show that below the backseats are tons of electric and the batteries which can be an issue modifying those seats. Since there is a 2 seater with additional battery possible there must be some other area where its stored. Any idea?
A good photo was posted by bigleonski in post https://www.theineosforum.com/posts/1333137620/
Both batteries + aux stuff (cetek) will be below the back seats, even if you don't have any.
The cargo floor will extend over the batt compartment and will be flat.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That they offer no basic SW in germany for marketing reasons might be true. Also people here
...in Berlin, right?
tend to always buy highest upgrades as possible in this price range. Can't even remember if I have seen any G-class which is not AMG in recent years.
Must be a Berlin-thing too...
Lots of old, rusty Gs and Wolfs in rural zones of South Germany. Come and see!

Ok, enough Berlin ;-) Welcome to the Grenadier lovers community!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom