The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
This morning I finally had time to try out the off-road mode, the gear reduction and the locks.

High-Low and the centre diffential lock work, even though everything is still very stiff and you have the feeling that shifting is not good for the mechanics.

I had problems with the rear lock. I tried to switch it on according to the manual. However, the LED in the switch kept flashing instead of lighting up permanently after driving forwards and backwards as described.
In addition, there was a yellow symbol for the rear axle lock and a yellow caution triangle in the front display.

I undid all possible switches and switched it on again. But there was no change. After pressing the button again, the display turned flashing red, together with the yellow triangle. However, the LED in the switch went out.

The front axle lock could not be engaged. I therefore assume that the rear lock is also not engaged.

But who knows. It's the weekend and I can't reach the dealer or anyone competent at INEOS.

Have any of you had the same experience? Are there any ideas? Thank you.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
This morning I finally had time to try out the off-road mode, the gear reduction and the locks.

High-Low and the centre diffential lock work, even though everything is still very stiff and you have the feeling that shifting is not good for the mechanics.

I had problems with the rear lock. I tried to switch it on according to the manual. However, the LED in the switch kept flashing instead of lighting up permanently after driving forwards and backwards as described.
In addition, there was a yellow symbol for the rear axle lock and a yellow caution triangle in the front display.

I undid all possible switches and switched it on again. But there was no change. After pressing the button again, the display turned flashing red, together with the yellow triangle. However, the LED in the switch went out.

The front axle lock could not be engaged. I therefore assume that the rear lock is also not engaged.

But who knows. It's the weekend and I can't reach the dealer or anyone competent at INEOS.

Have any of you had the same experience? Are there any ideas? Thank you.
Just checking … before trying to engage the differential locks, was the transfer case in Low and the centre differential locked?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Just checking … before trying to engage the differential locks, was the transfer case in Low and the centre differential locked?
And doesn't the drive have to be in neutral.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Michael, thank you for your feedback! Yes, it was. The flashing LED in the switch was also described in the manual.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
I have done a test drive on Thursday, not possible to engage the axle locks.
center lock ok.
have testet to engage in all options, no way.
( driving off road vehicles since 40 years )

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have done a test drive on Thursday, not possible to engage the axle locks.
center lock ok.
have testet to engage in all options, no way.
( driving off road vehicles since 40 years )
Same to me, centre lock no problem. Well, then I'm not alone!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried all three locks yesterday on soft ground.
Low -> easy
Middle diff lock -> easy
rear diff lock -> took me some time (25 meters)
Front diff lock -> some more… (25 meters )
Disengagement rear and front -> took some time (30 meters)
Middle diff lock and high -> no problem at all.
Have I mentioned that the Torsen diff locks (front and rear) in my Defender always worked without a problem and without engaging them actively…

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The way these lockers work the teeth on the locker need to mesh with holes in a plate. If they aren’t lined up then it wont engage immediately. I have a small tractor with the same system. You need some lateral movement to line up the holes, i.e. steering input.

The issue with the Gren is that rather than illuminate the ’locked’ indicator light the moment the diff is energised it flashes to say ‘energised’ but then goes solid once the diff is engaged. However it doesn‘t monitor actual diff engagement but instead uses the wheel rotation monitoring that is part of the ABS system. If it detects that the wheels are rotating at the same rate it assumes that the diff is engaged. This will take a small distance to achieve.

So for those of you experiencing problems, I suggest trying this: Engage the centre and rear diff, then drive whilst steering from side to side, this will help the diff to engage. The same goes for disengaging it. If you are stuck in ruts and can’t go from side to side a small amount of wheel slip will do the same thing. However lots of wheel spin and power input will damage the diff lock as it engages.

Try this and post how you get on. If it still won’t work whilst steering from side to side then you have a problem.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The way these lockers work the teeth on the locker need to mesh with holes in a plate. If they aren’t lined up then it wont engage immediately. I have a small tractor with the same system. You need some lateral movement to line up the holes, i.e. steering input.

The issue with the Gren is that rather than illuminate the ’locked’ indicator light the moment the diff is energised it flashes to say ‘energised’ but then goes solid once the diff is engaged. However it doesn‘t monitor actual diff engagement but instead uses the wheel rotation monitoring that is part of the ABS system. If it detects that the wheels are rotating at the same rate it assumes that the diff is engaged. This will take a small distance to achieve.

So for those of you experiencing problems, I suggest trying this: Engage the centre and rear diff, then drive whilst steering from side to side, this will help the diff to engage. The same goes for disengaging it. If you are stuck in ruts and can’t go from side to side a small amount of wheel slip will do the same thing. However lots of wheel spin and power input will damage the diff lock as it engages.

Try this and post how you get on. If it still won’t work whilst steering from side to side then you have a problem.
My locking worked with side to side steering. But it took to long in my opinion.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll hopefully try mine in a couple of weeks.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks for the hint. I will try it later. As I said, since the front differential can not be locked (notice in the display), I assume that the rear is not locked. I am worry about the red warning light. I will report back then.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, that's a casuality, I tested everything on a short track in Austria today: Here we go (navigation app) did send me through the shortest road, shortcut, about 200m up in the woods, no car had passed there in years, not useful, there is an asphalt road around it, slightly longer.
And there was a trunk of several meters, thickness of my leg, or thickness of the forearm of @Tazzieman, more or less parallel to the track and other branches and mud. Ideal situation to test the stuff.

Central diff lock in high was hard but quite OK to engage. I had to move the car several times to engage the "low" position, a meter or two backwards and forward again, and trying to engage again, indeed in neutral position.

I didn’t succeed to pass the obstacle. moved somme smaller pieces of wood. I then engaged rear diff, it took also some moving of the car, but it got engaged. Still no succes. I engaged the front diff lock, quite easily (beginner's luck?). And succeeded in moving two meters forward. Nice. But I gave up. Testing the diff locks was OK for me, and the time I would loose moving some smaller wooden trunks was not worth the effort.

Then in rear, trying to disengage the front and rear diff locks, I managed to damage one of my rear lights, damned ...
20230527_125227.jpg
It took quite some time before all the diff lock lights went out after disengaging, a minute or so (didn't chronometer).

Perhaps I should pass my driving licence again, because yesterday I didn't damage my roof ... almost not:
20230526_163453.jpg
Disappointed, yes for the damage, but the experience was ok. I have also a small but long scratch from yesterday crossing another vehicle in the forest in Austria. This I don't mind, will not be the last.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sorry @Jean Mercier I’m not following. Did you try to drive over a fallen tree/branch?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sorry @Jean Mercier I’m not following. Did you try to drive over a fallen tree/branch?
Yes and no, it was lying in the track, in the length of it, probably cut by humans, I knew it was tricky, I knew with time I could have taken the obstacle, but I was not in the middle of the forest 20 km inside after an hour driving, otherwise I would have prepared the terrain. Here I was only testing the car.

And the scratch was from branches.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bit disappointed on the difficulty in engaging the diffs. I can handle the bings and the bongs but when I need them to lock I really need them to work as promised. Perhaps there's a knack but it really should be easy.

Good luck with trying and working it out. 👍

Back
Top Bottom