The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Diesel or Petrol

Christian

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Jonathon & Hannah  globalgregors userid=8986856 postid=1332922164]

Awesome, what fun. I reckon security considerations will be a bigger issue than diesel quality on that itinerary, but that’s a whole other conversation.  Maybe we see you in the Americas… 
1f603.png
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, when we are in ?? we will be old and grey and our Grenadier is "well used"

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
You should try to get Ineos on board as a sponsor.

They need such adventures ...

Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
When you go through the United States make sure you drive through the Cascade Range Sierra Nevada Mountain Range in California  (among other places)! 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
Someone mentioned on here earlier that the police in Australia are using the BMW530d with the B57 engine in it and I remember talking with a cop at a service station after I had sat behind him on the motorway for two hours at 140kmh. 
He said they all hated the idea of going from large tuned petrol engined vehicles on the highway to a smelly diesel. 
Most had never driven a diesel before but had sat behind many trucks. 
He said he and everyone in his team had seriously changed their opinions and loved the diesel. 
He couldn’t believe the torque and effortless acceleration. 

I have a 2.2 litre twin turbo diesel in my Mercedes coupe with 204 HP & 550NM  and although it is a bit noisy at low revs it is fantastic to drive.

I am looking forward to the 3 litre diesel in the IG which has a similar twin turbo setup.
Although it will weigh 1 tonne more than my car

Local time
Reaction score
I'm just glad it's an inline 6 with the benefits that comes with, petrol or diesel (though petrol is my only option if I get the first draft rig). Also the B58 is known for being highly tunable.  One could save multiple tunes, some for additional economy, some for increased power, and switch it with some pushes of a button.  That might void a warranty but it's something to consider after the warranty is over and you can finally afford to make some changes after having gotten some good life out of the OEM parts you bought, and the aftermarket has options this this and that. 

Local time
Reaction score
if you convert the combined mileage from the UK site on a "station wagon" to US MPG it comes out to 14.94 for gas, and 19.57 for diesel.   I dont know how the test methodologies change the numbers for US.  But a 14.94 (call it 15 MPG) is impractical in the US for serious travel.   The diesel numbers would work quite well.  I fear I will have to cancel my reservation if these number prove to be in the ball park.   I get 18mpg combined in a 3/4 ton GMC truck right now.  A typical trip for me is 800 miles out.   

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the mpg numbers surprised me as well as I was expecting much better from a modern engine even taking into account the weight and aerodynamics. My 2.4 ton Defender TD5 averages around 24 mpg and that’s an engine 17 years old with 160k miles on the clock. In some ways it is therefore a retrograde step with the Grenadier.

Local time
Reaction score
Yea I am 216K miles and am running KO2's on it. The tires hurt the mileage.  Truck weighs close to 6000 pounds.   Its not exactly a model of aerodynamic efficiency either.   Will wait for them to publish US numbers but mostly likely cancelling if they look like what the UK numbers are.  The cool factor only goes so far on a gallon of gas.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
As there exist different MPGs (UK vs. US) I stay with L/100Km.

My guess (based on empiric data from alike cars) is 9 L/100 Km on the motorway, 11-12L/100Km on country roads, ++13L/100Km in the city.

All based on European conditions.

A guess, notabene.

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been worried about the mileage - a small forced induction engine pulling a heavy and blocky vehicle has to work hard much of the time. Small FI engines do not get good mileage when pushed (towing, hauling, or just hammering up hill). Under these conditions, a larger displacement NA engine usually gets better mileage. A NA engine can also be much simpler to work on, and tends to have fewer problems - if you’ve got a good one. A GM LS pushrod would be a good choice for this vehicle in the North American market, but that is obviously out of the question. It’s also not a suggestion well-tolerated on this forum! Given the two options, the diesel seems a much better choice than the gas (mileage, torque, stronger transmission). Of course, one’s driving needs could undermine that choice: (1) lots of short trips, (2) deep cold that can freeze DEF in the lines if the pump fails to clear the lines, (3) travel to places that lack decent quality diesel fuel, etc.. And, if you are in North America, you don’t get a choice at all.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax I think if you drive with foresight, you can still get below these values. I also drive my Discoverys today with 8.5-9 litres on the highway. Off-road, of course, they need more.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, but my guesses are made with respect to average drivers. I am myself always careful with fuel consumption and have so to say made a self-competition of it. With my W203 (22 Years old 300'000 Km (a best-ager) , 1700 Kg) I use to stay below 6 L/100 Km on country roads.

Tires however half a bar more than recommended. Though 225/50 R16.

PS: With my driving style, I don't hinder anyone, on the contrary: the others are the bums (of course ?). Velocity is not the issue. It's the braking.

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=emax userid=8900646 postid=1332952657] I am myself always careful with fuel consumption and have so to say made a self-competition of it. [/QUOTE]

Ditto on the self competition with breaking as little as possible.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Didn‘t find anything. Will the pertol Gren work with E10?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think it has to. 

That's more or less supposed to be the standard fuel in Europe.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And btw: the name "Ineos" is an acronym for "INspec Ethylene Oxide and Specialities" . So they should know how to deal with E10 ... ;-)

However, there seems to be a big difference between ethanol and ethylene - but this at least sounds quite alike ;-)

AdiThorny

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One of my main reasons for ordering a Grenadier is to go overland in Africa. (East, Central, Southern Africa). Part of getting a new vehicle is I am really not great at motor mechanics.

There is definitely inconsistent quality of diesel in these countries. What I haven't got a clear answer from reading above is what actually happens when you end up with High Sulphur Diesel driving around? Will we end up with a vehicle that can't move / go slow / need new PDF?

Apologies is real basic question but is a key question for me.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One of my main reasons for ordering a Grenadier is to go overland in Africa. (East, Central, Southern Africa). Part of getting a new vehicle is I am really not great at motor mechanics.

There is definitely inconsistent quality of diesel in these countries. What I haven't got a clear answer from reading above is what actually happens when you end up with High Sulphur Diesel driving around? Will we end up with a vehicle that can't move / go slow / need new PDF?

Apologies is real basic question but is a key question for me.
Try this blog, both useful in general terms but also for the quantitive data:

AdiThorny

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Try this blog, both useful in general terms but also for the quantitive data:

I take my hat off to you for your empirical approach to this. Africa sort of seems OK but still it all scares me... I would just be stuck and drilling that hole in the DPF. Hoping to hear other thoughts...

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
What I haven't got a clear answer from reading above is what actually happens when you end up with High Sulphur Diesel driving around? Will we end up with a vehicle that can't move / go slow / need new PDF?
In short, the vehicle will go into a (software induced) limp mode when the ECU reports persistent clogging of the DPF. What we found with our LR was that this was caused not by actual clogging of the DPF but rather by blockage of the sensor tubes/circuit by little flakes of sulfurous crust.

The same symptoms in markets with low sulfur fuel typically leads to replacement of the DPF. It‘s not clear to me whether DPFs are simply changed out more than necessary or whether our issue was idiosyncratic to the Disco Sport.

The other issue in high-sulfur regions is that general diesel quality and handling is often also poor. This can lead to particulate or water contamination of the fuel. I understand Grenadiers sold in Australia will ship with a secondary filter against the risk of sketchy outback fuel services.

For operation at high altitude and in cold regions, heated filters may also be desirable as an alternative to fuel additives (these prevent the loss of diesel viscosity at low temps).

Back
Top Bottom