The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Coolant hose ~ damage / holed

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
If it's the only routing possible then a fixed hard line with easily replaceable soft connections at either end or maybe high quality industrial pressure lines are needed.

Inaccessible coolant lines are a big no-no in my book. If you've got to tilt or drop a major drivetrain component just to do a yearly inspection then the temptation to overlook regular maintenance becomes too great. It smacks of being a hurried or unfinished engine bay.
Totally agree. Soft coolant hoses should be easily replaceable. The coolant system seems pretty complex and a potential weak point of this vehicle.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
This stuff is one of the few things that actually worry me about remote travel in these cars. A holed hose in itself isn’t a disaster, but a hose you can’t see and a hose you can’t access without major mechanical work is worry.
I was thinking of doing the CSR next year, but this is causing me some concern. Hopefully there's a campaign out on this ASAP. It seems it's not too widespread, but it's enough to make me rethink my plans.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Makes me paranoid. Not sure what I'm looking at but thought I could share some photos of the lower coolant hoses both on passenger and driver's side. Driver's side first, second one is passenger side. Can you tell if it looks different from early production models? I just picked up in the US on 12/21/23.

IMG_7353.jpeg
IMG_7350.jpeg

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But there are quite some other rubbing or clip concerns:
View attachment 7817126View attachment 7817127
Your pictures are really helpful. I was able to more carefully inspect my Gren (picked up last week) and it appears that mine has more clips in place to eliminate rubbing between hoses. The bottom photo you posted with the coolant hose against the metal rod is a point of contact that does not seem to have been remedied so I took some black masking tape and wrapped the silver rod and the coolant hose at the point of contact. Not sure if that's a bit no no.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Your pictures are really helpful. I was able to more carefully inspect my Gren (picked up last week) and it appears that mine has more clips in place to eliminate rubbing between hoses. The bottom photo you posted with the coolant hose against the metal rod is a point of contact that does not seem to have been remedied so I took some black masking tape and wrapped the silver rod and the coolant hose at the point of contact. Not sure if that's a bit no no.
Please, post also some pictures of the "more clips", I am interested!

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
If it's the only routing possible then a fixed hard line with easily replaceable soft connections at either end or maybe high quality industrial pressure lines are needed.

Inaccessible coolant lines are a big no-no in my book. If you've got to tilt or drop a major drivetrain component just to do a yearly inspection then the temptation to overlook regular maintenance becomes too great. It smacks of being a hurried or unfinished engine bay.
Sounds similar to the early Bentley Continental GTs with plastic vacuum pipes on top of the transmission.. inevitably they will perish and then it's engine/gearbox out... fix was a metal pipe, who would have thought...:unsure:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds similar to the early Bentley Continental GTs with plastic vacuum pipes on top of the transmission.. inevitably they will perish and then it's engine/gearbox out... fix was a metal pipe, who would have thought...:unsure:
I am generally not a friend of plastic. Metal, you know what you have.

Local time
Reaction score
Totally agree. Soft coolant hoses should be easily replaceable. The coolant system seems pretty complex and a potential weak point of this vehicle.
It's not the hoses or the number of hoses that I find concerning. It is not that difficult to support and prevent rubbing of hoses. The weak point is all the unnecessary extra joints with multiple sizes of plastic tube hose connectors, wire lock clips and o'rings that no one carries as spare parts in their touring kit, not common to other brands in Australia and are difficult to repair or obtain in a remote location. Likely not to be an issue while new but give the car a few years, some miles and heat cycles the cooling system will have to be more thoroughly inspected and maintained compared to some other brands.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
…, not common to other brands in Australia and are difficult to repair or obtain in a remote location…
This is a great point to consider. This is certainly much more critical in Oz than NA but speaks to the bigger picture of parts availability. I image Toyota parts can be found all over in places like Oz and Africa but BMW, MB, etc might be harder to come by.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A big box of fat zipties is gonna getcha home!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is a great point to consider. This is certainly much more critical in Oz than NA but speaks to the bigger picture of parts availability. I image Toyota parts can be found all over in places like Oz and Africa but BMW, MB, etc might be harder to come by.
It may seem so (Toyota parts availability) but I did a brake line on my 200 on the Gibb River Rd and couldn't get a replacement for 4 weeks from Japan!!
Not much fun when you're 3000 kms from home.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
3mm wire and a Cobb & Co makes a good hose clamp.
What is a Cobb&co?
I carry extra hose clamps ; the zipties could work if one or more of those plastic clips breaks (quite possible if not likely IMO )

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is a Cobb&co?
I carry extra hose clamps ; the zipties could work if one or more of those plastic clips breaks (quite possible if not likely IMO )
;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
;)
Oh one of those things! Must be a mainland term.
I've always uses a coathanger. Wire coathangers being great for many things , except hanging coats.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the CSR next year, but this is causing me some concern. Hopefully there's a campaign out on this ASAP. It seems it's not too widespread, but it's enough to make me rethink my plans.
Yes I am planning Simpson next year this does maie me a little nervous, Simpson probably a bit safer than Canning these days but still

Local time
Reaction score
It may seem so (Toyota parts availability) but I did a brake line on my 200 on the Gibb River Rd and couldn't get a replacement for 4 weeks from Japan!!
Not much fun when you're 3000 kms from

Yes I am planning Simpson next year this does maie me a little nervous, Simpson probably a bit safer than Canning these days but still
1703651243710.png
As a suggestion buy some BMW B57 B58 hoses from Ebay chop them up and see how the hoses are assembled and how the hose and fittings can be used as spares and for emergency repairs. There will the same fitting used in multiple positions so will only need a minimum number to make an emergency hose repair kit specific to the Grenadier.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7837286
As a suggestion buy some BMW B57 B58 hoses from Ebay chop them up and see how the hoses are assembled and how the hose and fittings can be used as spares and for emergency repairs. There will the same fitting used in multiple positions so will only need a minimum number to make an emergency hose repair kit specific to the Grenadier.
Great idea 💡

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not much fun when you're 3000 kms from home.

This stuff is one of the few things that actually worry me about remote travel in these cars. A holed hose in itself isn’t a disaster, but a hose you can’t see and a hose you can’t access without major mechanical work is worry.
100%. Detailed diagrams of the cooling system would be mighty handy. Took another look and.... gave up. Complex indeed without diagrams and a considerable amount out of sight - it would seem.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
100%. Detailed diagrams of the cooling system would be mighty handy. Took another look and.... gave up. Complex indeed without diagrams and a considerable amount out it of sight - it would seem.
That is also my concern, even if I do carry parts like @NQ94 wisely suggested it's having to gain access by dropping the gearbox etc to repair the pipework which is of major concern. I'm hoping it's a small run of poor quality piping that is causing the previous mention issue.

Back
Top Bottom