The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Update Prior to Sale: Coolant Hose Clip – Remove

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Last week (3th week April 2023) I found a work order in my "yet not delivered" car and took pictures: “Update Prior to Sale: Coolant Hose Clip – Remove”, see the next pictures.
Only for VIN numbers till 1957, my birth year by the way 😊

20230421_145244.jpg20230421_145221.jpg

I am somewhat concerned about this:
  • Why did they “by design” need the clip?
  • Why is it “over constrained”?
  • Why didn’t they install a clip with “no constrain”?
I think we will have to watch the coolant hose in the future. I wouldn’t be surprised that they call us back to place a decent clip.

Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
Last week (3th week April 2023) I found a work order in my "yet not delivered" car and took pictures: “Update Prior to Sale: Coolant Hose Clip – Remove”, see the next pictures.

View attachment 7809735View attachment 7809736

I think we will have to watch the coolant hose in the future. I wouldn’t be surprised that they call us back to place a decent clip.
Do they mean over tightened?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do they mean over tightened?
How could I know :unsure: , I suppose "over constrained" is English of the UK. It's a plastic clip! It can't be "tightened". I think the connection between hose 1 and hose 2 was too short and was bending the blue hose, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if the VIN's after those impacted just have it removed altogether, I assume (since no part swap is available)? It seems if it was necessary in the first place, it's an odd decision to remove it completely. I'd be curious as to the nature of the actual issue - I'm still digging into the engine BMW parts diagram to see how it is fixed in place. I do see a part that is similar in function, but hard to tell for now.

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How could I know :unsure: , I suppose "over constrained" is English of the UK. It's a plastic clip! It can't be "tightened". I think the connection between hose 1 and hose 2 was too short and was bending the blue hose, but I am not sure.
Possibly discovered wear on the blue coolant pipe and decided it was best to remove

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those doubting British involvement, look no further.

As a mate of mine says when working on cars and having parts left over at the end, they can take a bit of de-engineering before you notice! 😂
Especially when they are constructed by Austrian and German engineers. There will be quite a big safety margin…

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7809735View attachment 7809736

That clip is there to hold the smaller blue hose in place. It is coupling the smaller hose to the larger more rigid hose. I suspect it was preventing the smaller hose from flexing properly (over constrained) and under certain conditions it would put undo stress on the smaller hose and either causing a stress leak or more likely a flow restriction. Nothing that I would be overly concerned about them removing.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Brilliant, this is exactly the content I'd hope we have access to via CAD IT.

So two comments on the supplementary info in the document:

1. Affected VIN range - gives some evidence that customer cars have started with suffix of 6 full numbers starting at 000001; and

2. Document number ~ @Jean Mercier can you ask them for sight of the previous 1857 documents? 😉

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those doubting British involvement, look no further.

As a mate of mine says when working on cars and having parts left over at the end, they can take a bit of de-engineering before you notice! 😂
One of Murphy's laws says that if a machine is properly reassembled and there are bits left over, they weren't needed anyway.
It's when there aren't enough bits that there's a problem.........🥴

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The removal of the coolant hose clip remains a mystery for me: why did they have to remove it, and have VIN numbers from 1958 on, another clip or still no clip at all?

But I am not happy, the coolant hose is too loose and wobbles a lot when on dirt roads. See the next simulation video (notice also the intruder in my car):

The coolant hose is also touching the plastic of the ventilator:
20230812_122634 touching.jpg

I could be wrong, but my engineering soul tells me this isn’t how it should be. Therefore, I build myself a new coolant hose clip, using, as before, the thicker hose above. I used 3 cable ties. I chose white one on purpose, to clearly show that this isn’t original.
20230812_124721.jpg20230812_124901.jpg20230812_130426.jpg20230812_130517.jpg

Less wobbling, see the video here

At the same time (and I already knew this a long time) I made a temporary repair of another hose clip that was almost broken, almost at the same location:
20230812_123325 broken and OK clip.jpg

(In fact, I made that repair first, before the one explained above)

I also used cable tie to close the openness of the clip, here the picture with the cable tie not tightened.

20230812_123559 tie positioning.jpg

And final result:

20230812_123700 tie tightened.jpg

All comments are welcome, even disapproval, but please explain why. I know I am an amateur.
And I also know that this should be solved by Ineos, not me.

Next time I go to my workshop (end of August) I will ask them what possible instructions they got from Ineos.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That is definitely something IA needs to fix and not you. You need to ensure that is covered under warranty and remains so - and that means only a dealer can fix it properly so that its logged. I know in Australia, the moment you touch a hose, clamp, screw, bolt: you void warranty.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The removal of the coolant hose clip remains a mystery for me: why did they have to remove it, and have VIN numbers from 1958 on, another clip or still no clip at all?

But I am not happy, the coolant hose is too loose and wobbles a lot when on dirt roads. See the next simulation video (notice also the intruder in my car):

The coolant hose is also touching the plastic of the ventilator:
View attachment 7823208

I could be wrong, but my engineering soul tells me this isn’t how it should be. Therefore, I build myself a new coolant hose clip, using, as before, the thicker hose above. I used 3 cable ties. I chose white one on purpose, to clearly show that this isn’t original.
View attachment 7823209View attachment 7823210View attachment 7823211View attachment 7823212

Less wobbling, see the video here

At the same time (and I already knew this a long time) I made a temporary repair of another hose clip that was almost broken, almost at the same location:
View attachment 7823213

(In fact, I made that repair first, before the one explained above)

I also used cable tie to close the openness of the clip, here the picture with the cable tie not tightened.

View attachment 7823214

And final result:

View attachment 7823215

All comments are welcome, even disapproval, but please explain why. I know I am an amateur.
And I also know that this should be solved by Ineos, not me.

Next time I go to my workshop (end of August) I will ask them what possible instructions they got from Ineos.
I’m a bit late to this subject and having looked at my engine bay yesterday, this hose is clipped at three points on mine. It looks very well controlled and neat. it’s fixed at both ends and in the middle. For reference, my vin is sub 680 and the only thing I notice is the heft and noise of the cooling system and fan. I’ll ping a photo if you want.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
My car is below that VIN and my dealer also told
Me that one of the PDI actions for it, amongst several others, was to “relocate” a hose clip.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
... One thing I do notice on mine is that almost everything is marked with either white, yellow or red markers
Same for me!

My car is below that VIN and my dealer also told
Me that one of the PDI actions for it, amongst several others, was to “relocate” a hose clip.
My dealer doesn't tell me anything, unless I put pressure on him.
The "hose clip dismounting work order" was something I found in my car before delivery! And the dealer didn't know I took pictures of it!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Same for me!

My dealer doesn't tell me anything, unless I put pressure on him.
The "hose clip dismounting work order" was something I found in my car before delivery! And the dealer didn't know I took pictures of it!
Your dealer sounds shit to be honest, I would not have been half as patient as you have been. Fortunately so far mine has been great. I don’t have my car yet but is is now only a few weeks away, so time will tell if that continues post delivery but current indications are good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom