The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Coolant hose ~ damage / holed

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
Update: my grenadier is still at the dealership since 22nd of December, hopefully get it back this week. My VIN (last 6 digits) 003050 for anyone whose interested.
Can someone explain how a broken hose can take a car off the road for 3 weeks? Even with the Christmas break in the middle. Is it the service workshop being severely booked up, or waiting on a part or what?
I understood (I think from a comment by JH) that the Melbourne store was now fully stocked with parts and shipping was to be a matter of days to dealers for non maintenance parts throughout Australia.
To be honest this is my biggest concern about ownership - time off the road for simple things.

Mules

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
Can someone explain how a broken hose can take a car off the road for 3 weeks? Even with the Christmas break in the middle. Is it the service workshop being severely booked up, or waiting on a part or what?
I understood (I think from a comment by JH) that the Melbourne store was now fully stocked with parts and shipping was to be a matter of days to dealers for non maintenance parts throughout Australia.
To be honest this is my biggest concern about ownership - time off the road for simple things.
Hmmm, yep it took at least 3 weeks for the genuine hose to arrive when mine went bust. Thankfully they could do an interim repair, but it doesn't exactly suggest that they've got everything at hand.

That said, we are no doubt the guinea pigs as to what item & and in what quantities they need to have on stock.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My hose replacement, with what sounds to be the same cracked hose, took a week, and most of that was waiting on the part to be delivered from Melbourne to Sydney.

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge of whether Ineos has / intends to have a ‘permanent’ fix for the coolant hose problems going forward?
Irrespective of the reasons, be they because of wanting to get the vehicle to market quickly, or sheer oversight- what anybody with half a brain can see is that there will be many burst / seeping hoses in the next few years that will potentially tarnish the brand’s image, especially if it takes out a few engines on the way.
When I took delivery of mine in October it had already been ‘attended to’ with an array of plastic clips and braided sleeving fitted over many of the hoses. After a couple of thousand miles the quick wrap of fabric tape used to secure the braided sleeves has started to come off, and there’s a couple of other points that I wrapped myself with strips of inner tube and zip ties to protect the hoses. This level of “rectification” surely has to be temporary, one would hope- and some proper attention paid to this particular elephant in the room. Has anyone with a brand new vehicle been able to compare the hoses on their car with one that has been around for a few months to see if there’s been any element of redesign in this area?
…or will it be a case of repeated patching up every service until the warranty runs out and then they wash their hands of it? (I hope not)

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
as soon as I brought the grenadier home I put my nose under the hood to check everything as usual.

I must say that I was a little amazed by the passages of the tubes.... many rub and in my opinion are subject to abrasion.

I think it will be something to check periodically to be safe. all zip ties are just tight

ps:
the wiring cover under the hood on the right of the engine does not close at the rear because there are too many cables. I had to secure it with a zip tie

Attachments

• tempImageJWOdRA.jpg
    tempImageJWOdRA.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • tempImagefalxrh.jpg
    tempImagefalxrh.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • tempImagebPUuSn.jpg
    tempImagebPUuSn.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • tempImageDsY4Ue.jpg
    tempImageDsY4Ue.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • tempImage1hhYaI.jpg
    tempImage1hhYaI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
  • tempImageHJtNjy.jpg
    tempImageHJtNjy.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3127.jpg
    IMG_3127.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 88

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you add the yellow bits (maybe from on old garden hose)?

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It certainly looks like he has - and fair enough I would say- but you shouldn’t have to- the image 3122 showing the hose that runs fore-aft alongside the engine cover concerns me as well- the way that flaps up and down when the engine is running is ridiculous. I can see that Orso has secured it by latching onto the zip tie that helps to secure the cover over the electrical connections (which had to have a hole drilled in it to allow that to be done)
We shouldn’t have to have the under bonnet looking like some Heath Robinson bodge-up a couple of months after having parted with circa £70K just to give us peace of mind that we don’t have a catastrophic failure in the near future, should we?

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Did you add the yellow bits (maybe from on old garden hose)?

Yes exactly. It's not the most technologically advanced but it does its job very well.

... to tell the truth, I started by placing just one tube under the car, then checking carefully, what you saw came out.....

yes I agree that I wouldn't have expected this on a vehicle designed for offroad use

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
I had that and it was fixed in 5 days.

What issue/s have they encountered??
Getting the hose allegedly, still haven't got it but they were going to try a temporary fix and I should get it back by early this week (it's Wednesday already and no further update on the situation). I don't know guys I understand we are the guinea pigs but we are also the ambassador's, telling people that it's been at the work shop since Dec 22nd for a split hose doesn't really improve ineos/grenadier brand.

Local time
Reaction score
Not sure to be honest, I'm thinking it may be with the dealership struggling with a new car/manufacturer and INEOS not supporting the dealerships and not expecting many problems. With that ineos grenadier that caught fire aswell I would at least publicly acknowledge it and say that we are investigating why.

Reactions: AWo

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure to be honest, I'm thinking it may be with the dealership struggling with a new car/manufacturer and INEOS not supporting the dealerships and not expecting many problems. With that ineos grenadier that caught fire aswell I would at least publicly acknowledge it and say that we are investigating why.
I think that particular dealership is struggling, they have had a large turnover of experienced staff lately and with all the rectifications going on its putting them under pressure and causing delays.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
While not strictly a coolant hose issue the same area came into play again with a rattle on my vehicle which had developed in the last few weeks - progressively getting more frequent and louder.

I crawled all over and under the engine bay. Couldn’t find anything loose. A loose cable was the culprit, in the same area as the cracked coolant hose that had surprised me earlier (hidden above the gearbox).

The dealer found a loose cable rattling against a gearbox heat shield.I’m hoping it was a result of the earlier work, though there was a good few months between.

Such a simple fix as well:
- lowered gearbox
- removed all heat shields around gearbox
- removed exhaust (as you do)
- identified loose cable vibrating against heat shield
- resecured all parts and tested

I’m going to say it, my friends are calling it a lemon, and I’ve started calling it that as well. I get the journey etc, but nah, this isn’t right. I hope MY24 is better.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Assuming mine will be the same because both US deliveries. How do we remedy this?
I'm not sure yet, I'll raise it with the dealership the next time I make it up there - which may be a month or more out, given that I'm waiting on a windshield and the trailer hitch update.

I'm cautious about employing the tactics used above as don't want to create as many issues as I try and resolve.

In some ways, these are just the growing pains of a new car. I'd be interested to see how the B58 cooling lines are routed on a Toyota Supra and BMW X5

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@anand - was this something that raised any issues during your testing?
not that I can think of specifically, none of the US PTO2 trucks had any coolant leak issues. Specifically to the wiggle/looseness of those hoses, I'm not certain I ever grabbed one and wiggled it around; but in my head there was a plastic clip somewhere in that region. I could be imagining the last part, it's been about 7 months since I really went to town in the engine bay of one

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
hi, can you take a photo from a little further away to understand where exactly that hose is?
If you are standing in front of the Gren looking at your engine, it's directly to the left in front of engine.

Back
Top Bottom