The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Contrast Roof Color- how many considering it?

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
I actually wonder.. given the price of the option whether wrapping might be an alternative. Plus it gives you a protected roof.

I was consider leaving the roof rack off and putting things directly on the roof .. in which case you need to put something on the paint up there anyway.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
I actually wonder.. given the price of the option whether wrapping might be an alternative. Plus it gives you a protected roof.

I was consider leaving the roof rack off and putting things directly on the roof .. in which case you need to put something on the paint up there anyway.
3M wrap product from memory is about a 7 year warranty but you can't travel with much weight up there unless you have a rated rack...roof only, stationary about 450 kilos and moving 150?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score

I guess practically, only fairly large items could be placed on the roof without a rack or bars - items that sit on the rubber stripes and tied down to the grab handles.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree.. love the roo bars. Here is what I've optioned and some closer pictures from the Configurator 😜

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124_213259_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213259_Edge.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230124_213017_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213017_Edge.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230124_213058_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213058_Edge.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230124_213119_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213119_Edge.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 14
  • N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAdQAsY0xEFkQAaEBABzRiQGctQIYBzYjTAGYBDADaswAXwl0AxkNRwhHEHgIAhA...jpeg
    N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAdQAsY0xEFkQAaEBABzRiQGctQIYBzYjTAGYBDADaswAXwl0AxkNRwhHEHgIAhA...jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230124_213218_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213218_Edge.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230124_213240_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_213240_Edge.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 14

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
May sound foolish but has anyone ever considered using something like marine plywood or the black plastic 6mm sheeting (the stuff they make the drawers out of) to protect the outside. With the side rails it should be fairly easy to do and lightweight.

Would be great to just cut out of and 8ft piece that went down the side. Might be a bit difficult to get in and out of thought.

Easy to add and take off. Seems to work well on the inside of vans and could be stored on the roof when driving in town.

Crazy but I would be interested to see what someone more creative than me could come up with.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
May sound foolish but has anyone ever considered using something like marine plywood or the black plastic 6mm sheeting (the stuff they make the drawers out of) to protect the outside. With the side rails it should be fairly easy to do and lightweight.

Would be great to just cut out of and 8ft piece that went down the side. Might be a bit difficult to get in and out of thought.

Easy to add and take off. Seems to work well on the inside of vans and could be stored on the roof when driving in town.

Crazy but I would be interested to see what someone more creative than me could come up with.
Yes, I have been thinking of something you could attach when going offroad and remove for daily driving

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score

Just be careful you don't go too far:
normal_Er9IfRaW8AMwQDk.jpeg

Seriously, I've often wondered if one of the M UHMW plastics has it's uses:
Screenshot_20230124_184937.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s still available because I’ve just lived with the pinstripes, but you used to be able to buy a paint on film that acted like a protective skin for when you were heading into places where scratches were likely.
When you finished the trip you jsut peeled it off.
If I did the Anne Beadell/ Connie Sue again I’d probably think about using that as the pinstripes where off the chart on that trip.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I would love to see what you are thinking...maybe a drawing?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I would love to see what you are thinking...maybe a drawing?

I can barely draw a stick man I’m afraid but the second photo in DCPU’s post above is a starter.

If those things are the the ABS style plastic sheets, my thoughts was something like that. Thin-ish, lightweight and strong. They could be fixed to the side of the IG using the already installed side rail system so would be quick to install and take off and could be used for protection in heavy scrub or where say the vehicle will be in close proximity to high sided banks to to give that bit of extra protection and minimise and real damage.

I wouldnt need them but having watched the “grumpy old man” (ASPW) do the Canning stock route recently and some of the very narrow bush filled trails he dragged his vehicle through, I would have thought s system like this would have paid dividends, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper that a professional wrap, it could also be made at home.

The paint mentioned by Bigleonski is something I have never heard of but sounds like a great idea. Almost like the silicone type paint that artists use on the human body that then strips of like a second skin. Not as robust as the plastic panels but still good for the odd bush scrape.

Back
Top Bottom