The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Contrast Roof Color- how many considering it?

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
There must be a study somewhere quantifying the benefits of a tropical roof? Did any other car manufacturer ever have one?
There has been some work done, looking at car, color, and interior color, and it’s effect on how hot the car is and then how much energy it takes to run the air conditioning to cool the car. Also, a cooler car can have a smaller air conditioning unit. Course with the windows open it makes less of a difference, because the windows being open creates Drag. I think it’s pretty clear a darker colored car is hotter than a white car. But it never made enough of a difference for the auto manufacturers to touted as a benefit, or for the regulators to insist on technology.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There must be a study somewhere quantifying the benefits of a tropical roof? Did any other car manufacturer ever have one?
I think it helped, and the pop-up vents were great for pumping in some fresh air. Not sure if any other brands provided them from the factory, but I wouldn’t be surprised if people rigged something similar on other flat-roofed trucks and vans.

Local time
Reaction score
Easy choice here. Light blue with white roof. Nice retro color combo and good for the hot climate here in the deep south of the US. Awesome that they had a model released with that combo.

The only thing I struggle with is which colored ladder frame. I'm leaning grey. Red may be too "look at me".

N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAdQAsY0xEFkQAaEBABzRiQGctQIYBzYjTAGYBDADaswAXwl0AxkNRwhHEHgIAhAM...jpg

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the frame, your pic doesn’t have any side rails, so it will be hidden even more. IF you were using the vehicle where you wanted really high vis and the odd color like the orange, I could see the red frame— especially if you tip over. Otherwise it will be hard to see, and even hard To keep clean…

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
I doubt I will as I’m either going silver or white and hope to add a roof rack. That said, if I wanted one I would want some contrast so on a Donny grey, black wouldn’t pop out enough. Likewise, thinking back to Land Rover roots, I always thought the white roofs were about function, not form, to help the truck stay cool. My 88 had a white trop-top roof for that very purpose.
White roof will look filthy in no time.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
There has been some work done, looking at car, color, and interior color, and it’s effect on how hot the car is and then how much energy it takes to run the air conditioning to cool the car. Also, a cooler car can have a smaller air conditioning unit. Course with the windows open it makes less of a difference, because the windows being open creates Drag. I think it’s pretty clear a darker colored car is hotter than a white car. But it never made enough of a difference for the auto manufacturers to touted as a benefit, or for the regulators to insist on technology.
A darker car warms up quicker in a cold environment, so uses less energy to heat, and is therefore better for the environment

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Sorry but paying extra rather than less for a black or white roof is a bit like having to buy your own polo shirt, ie very naff.

Last edited:

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
I can follow the idea with the white roof on the Grenadier, just like the white roofs on the old Defender. It really looks good in my opinion, and it looks good on the photos.
I WILL LIKE TO SEE THEM ON THE ROAD!
But for myself I thought: The car will be 2,04 m high, without bigger tires. My old Toyota now is about 2,10 m high. And I NEVER EVER clean the roof! When I am washing my toyota, I clean the sides, the front, the back - but NEVER the roof - it is just to high - I don´t see it. If you have a WHITE ROOF - then I think you WANT to keep it CLEAN - so that is a lot of work more to do. I don´t want that. The same reason why I prefer complete black wheels... ;)
HAVE FUN!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
As I wrote some times before I really like the contrast black frame, colour, black roof. My Defender has a white roof and I always thought how it might look with a black one.
Hopefully in short time I will see it on my Grenadier!

Attachments

• F3265C5B-9864-472A-A4A8-D2F9D21B1CFD.jpeg
    F3265C5B-9864-472A-A4A8-D2F9D21B1CFD.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom