The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Contrast Roof Color- how many considering it?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I too have ordered green with a black roof, mainly to be as inconspicuous as possible in the countryside, whether wildfowling or hunting in lowlight conditions, or just parked up. I am pleased that it is an actual paint process and therefore well worth the extra cost.
Thats why I have choosen the red one. As the most animals are colourblind red/green. The red one is the nicer camouflage color :)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
Loving the Gulf colours on the IG. Always thought they were class and even though they are noT the actual layout they still look fab

I was going tn go for the black roof with the Donny grey but decided not to as costs were running away. I will however look into getting a black wrap on the roof at a later date. I might even have a few other bits done at the same time. Something like the middle of the bonnet and/or the grenadier wording on the side of the bonnet

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Overall with the inflated prices that are being pushed in Switzerland any nice to have extras are now off the menu. Honestly I find the 1320 Swiss Francs (as of todays exchange rate: 1150 GBP) coming in way too steep at a whopping 20% mark up from the 915 GBP list price.

Makes me cranky but my fault for living here I guess. So only must haves and no nice to haves but happy to be able to be on the reservation list none the less.

Overall a think the Eldoret Blue with White Contrast roof looks great but perhaps a bit lost once the roof rack is added.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
I was going tn go for the black roof with the Donny grey but decided not to as costs were running away.
Maybe it's my tablet, but Donny grey with or without black roof looks the same to me in the configurator.

This is with black roof:
Screenshot_20220812_105731.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Overall with the inflated prices that are being pushed in Switzerland any nice to have extras are now off the menu. Honestly I find the 1320 Swiss Francs (as of todays exchange rate: 1150 GBP) coming in way too steep at a whopping 20% mark up from the 915 GBP list price.

Makes me cranky but my fault for living here I guess.
Have you tried looking at the cost differences across other items, or indeed the whole pricelist?

I've done some cost comparisons, similar to your calculation, with the UK and Australian pricelists. There are some rather large individual "anomalies" whilst a total basket of options/accessories is more cost equivalent.

It seems to suggest that someone in Ineos has been tinkering with these for individual markets and loading/unloading markup according to a cunning plan.

Or of course, they've just cocked up with the calculator.

It would not seem unreasonable, given a degree of evidence, to query individual option costs to confirm the former rather than the latter.

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For reasons I wanted a white contrast roof but found it tooo expensive. Thought if desired later this could be easily wrapped?!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
For reasons I wanted a white contrast roof but found it tooo expensive. Thought if desired later this could be easily wrapped?!
I'm not sure it would last well in the sun. But depends upon whether you actually have sun.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is the contrast roof running? I don’t think I’ve seen a price list yet for the US.

Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Going with Mushroom with a black top and red frame. As of today, still have until Q1 23 to really decide. I am looking forward to the pictures from Germany, Aus and England of real user owned Gs.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you tried looking at the cost differences across other items, or indeed the whole pricelist?

I've done some cost comparisons, similar to your calculation, with the UK and Australian pricelists. There are some rather large individual "anomalies" whilst a total basket of options/accessories is more cost equivalent.

It seems to suggest that someone in Ineos has been tinkering with these for individual markets and loading/unloading markup according to a cunning plan.

Or of course, they've just cocked up with the calculator.

It would not seem unreasonable, given a degree of evidence, to query individual option costs to confirm the former rather than the latter.
You can't just use an exchange rate calculator to work out the costs for different countries. Apart from the freight cost there are different taxes, wages, competitor prices and business costs that need to be taken into account. Companies also have a responsibility to their shareholders to maximise profits. So if a roo bar can be sold in Australia for $2,000 but the market rice in South Africa is only $1,700 then that is how you price it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I've been listening to those sorts of explanations the whole of my business life.

I've also been on the opposite side of the table when very carefully costed/priced items have been presented to the MD for sign off, and he's red lined various things and inked in the price he "thinks" the market will sustain with absolutely no reference to actual cost, margins, overhead contribution, etc.

Like I said a basket of goods adds up to the similar total cost, which rather negates your arguments regarding various cost headings, but individual items are huge margins apart... someone has had the red ink pen out...have a look and it soon becomes obvious.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I've been listening to those sorts of explanations the whole of my business life.

I've also been on the opposite side of the table when very carefully costed/priced items have been presented to the MD for sign off, and he's red lined various things and inked in the price he "thinks" the market will sustain with absolutely no reference to actual cost, margins, overhead contribution, etc.

Like I said a basket of goods adds up to the similar total cost, which rather negates your arguments regarding various cost headings, but individual items are huge margins apart... someone has had the red ink pen out...have a look and it soon becomes obvious.
You start with the market price and then work backwards, not the other way. You position your product priced against your opposition, review your costs, calculate your margin and decide if you are happy with it and if it is commercially viable. On some items you may be only making 20% GM but on others you may be making 80%. In reality it is just the EBIT that is important and I assume Ineos is not going to be making a profit for several years

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your argument is one model but not the only the only one plenty of suppliers have started from the opposite position ~ cost up. It also doesn't apply when it's essentially a monopoly supplier for OEM accessories/options.

I'm not going to say the heated door mirrors are too expensive when measured against market prices so try and fit those from Toyota.

I'll dig some examples out, it's always easier to discuss actuals; and we're not discussing overall pricing for the company but rather differentiation between regions for the same items.

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe it's my tablet, but Donny grey with or without black roof looks the same to me in the configurator.

This is with black roof:
View attachment 7792286
It’s not just your monitor, I thinks it’s the vast majority I think. The darker colours seem to lose all detail and the Gren becomes a dark blob in grey and others.

In reality I think it will look a lot better, well I hope so as I don't want to be driving a silhouette 😊

I like the blue, mushroom and other colours but I am sticking with Donny Grey and will decide if it is worth the money and a sufficient contrast when I get the vehicle.

The render you have there, I would swear was an all black vehicle if I didn’t know better !!

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I went with the black roof on Donney Gray because it matches the black stripe from front to rear bumper and along the side skirt. I think it frames the body colour from the side view nicely
I am thinking about the black roof with Donny Grey and will hopefully see some real life picture of yours when delivered (or others). One benefit for those of us in the USA with a longer time frame.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I doubt I will as I’m either going silver or white and hope to add a roof rack. That said, if I wanted one I would want some contrast so on a Donny grey, black wouldn’t pop out enough. Likewise, thinking back to Land Rover roots, I always thought the white roofs were about function, not form, to help the truck stay cool. My 88 had a white trop-top roof for that very purpose.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I always thought the white roofs were about function, not form, to help the truck stay cool. My 88 had a white trop-top roof for that very purpose.
There must be a study somewhere quantifying the benefits of a tropical roof? Did any other car manufacturer ever have one?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom