The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Comparaison Grenadier / Mercedes Classe G

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7798707
I overlayed the OP's images to get a better feel for the comparison. Aligned at the front axle and I'm assuming both the images are 1:1 scale.
I didn't realise the cabin is significant longer (due to more vertical rear door) and thus overall cabin space

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
1672149542081.png
Here's another attempt. I didn't think the previous images scaled correctly since the wheelbase of the MB is only 1.2" shorter than the Grenadier. These can be misleading if they are not scaled accurately or camera positions are significantly different so I tried to find two profile images centered on the b-pillar belt line. Front axles are lined up vertically and the belt line is lined up horizontally. Does seem to show a longer and taller cabin, as grenadierboy points out.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7798745
Here's another attempt. I didn't think the previous images scaled correctly since the wheelbase of the MB is only 1.2" shorter than the Grenadier. These can be misleading if they are not scaled accurately or camera positions are significantly different so I tried to find two profile images centered on the b-pillar belt line. Front axles are lined up vertically and the belt line is lined up horizontally. Does seem to show a longer and taller cabin, as grenadierboy points out.

Thanks for doing this.....can you do the same and compare to the Bronco and Jeep Wrangler?

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For me its always looked like a G class, I see very little Land Rover in it. But as always it's in the eye of the beholder.
In one of the Youtube clips showing production there are shots of the Grenadier body shell without the front wings on. The sloping firewall down from the windscreen looks VERY much like a G. I did a double take when watching it.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
7:59 PM
Reaction score
When setting up racecar or performance car suspension it is typically set up per each corner allowing for driver, fluids, general weight distribution.
One reason why the Maclaren had the seat in the centre.
(A long time ago!) I actually used a 4-wheel weighing kit (belonging to a friend who worked on racing BMWs) to check my D90 loaded, when changing out the springs......... The whole thing weighed close to 6000 lb, but I was pretty closely even on all 4 wheels!

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Look at post 5 in this thread. I made a chart to the best of my abilities that compares all the numbers.

Krabby - thanks and this is very helpful. Are you sure the Bronco length is 198? I think it might be closer to 189?

I was just hopeful to see the graphic comparison as it is very interesting to see it visually also.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Krabby - thanks and this is very helpful. Are you sure the Bronco length is 198? I think it might be closer to 189?

I was just hopeful to see the graphic comparison as it is very interesting to see it visually also.
The range I found was 173.7" to 198.9″ so I went with that. It's not perfect science as I had to jump all over the web to find things, sometimes even using a non-2022 spec.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The range I found was 173.7" to 198.9″ so I went with that. It's not perfect science as I had to jump all over the web to find things, sometimes even using a non-2022 spec.

Yes - hard to find. I had a bronco and most are around 189/190", the 198" is the Everglades model and the extra length is just from the bar that protects the winch. So apples-to-apples is 189/190" which is slightly less than the Grenadier.....I have been measuring for my garage fit.

Again - thanks for putting this all together in inches!

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
Here are the anticipated specs for the 2023 Bronco from the Ford website. The Everglades is about 10 inches longer than other 4-door models because it comes with a winch from the factory, and between the winch and the winch-bumper, that increases length by ~10 inches. All Broncos carry their spare on the back, so that wouldn't be a difference.
Bronco_specs.png
Source: https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/models/bronco-badlands/?gnav=vhpnav-specs

Here is a photo of the Everglades, with factory-installed winch:
Everglades.jpg
Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40433480/2022-ford-bronco-everglades-drive/

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
You guys might both enjoy this!

Itchy Boots
Cool video! This is the town of Nederland, Colorado - where I lived for 20 years before moving to the west side of the Rockies. The town of Nederland is at 8,300 feet above sea level (2,530 meters), but we actually lived a few miles from town at about 8,500 feet. For a long time I commuted down the canyon to Boulder, which is at 5,500 feet. This kind of a commute leads one to have different requirements for a daily driver that doubles as an off-roader. Many of the trails we drive are steep, so low-end torque is crucial. We also drive our off-road vehicles on highways over high-mountain passes (over 10,000 feet), where the speed limit is 65 miles per hour (on the passes) and 75-85 mph on the straight-aways. So decent horse power is crucial in order to drive with the traffic, and pass slow-moving semi-trucks. Summers are hot, and this increases the strain on a vehicle driving up big passes, and winters are cold. Its typical to get morning temps around -25 F (that's -32 C) in January and February (see our thermostat below). I think these conditions create challenges for a vehicle that maybe aren't present in all geographic locations.
cold.jpg

In the video, the woman wonders about the "Panthers" - this is the mascot of the local high school - so all the athletic teams from the school are the "Panthers". This is common in the U.S. (my high school mascot was the lion), and small towns often identify with that mascot (hence the sign "Home of the Panthers").

Moose are common around there - there were often moose using the Nordic ski trails at the local ski area (easier to walk on than walking through deep snow).

There is no mail delivery direct to the home in most of rural America - you either get mail delivered to a mailbox that is grouped with other mailboxes (like in the video), or you have to go to the nearest post office, where you have a mailbox. Its always interesting to see what visitors find odd!

As an update to the video: mountain lions killed 15 dogs in a 30-day period at the end of December 2022 and into January 2023. Mountain lion sightings are quite common in Nederland, but this number of attacks on dogs is unusual.

Nederland has been getting crowded compared to what it used to be, so we moved to the west side of the Rockies. We are still at around 8,500 feet, but its much colder here in the winter. Thankfully, I don't drive the same commute I used to, and can work mostly from home.

Thanks for posting the video - that was a bit nostalgic, and resulted in a long-winded post!

Last edited:

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
In one of the Youtube clips showing production there are shots of the Grenadier body shell without the front wings on. The sloping firewall down from the windscreen looks VERY much like a G. I did a double take when watching it.
Oh - for me that could be a bad sign ... I tell you why: I often heard very bad storys from Mercedes-G-Driver, because they had big RUST PROBLEMS at the sloping firewall down from the windscreen - an you can imagine what this means. You can invest LOTS OF MONEY to rrescue your car from this problem! (I thought that the Mercedes G would be a rust-safe car, because of the price, and because it is a Mercedes - but that is a fail...) ;)

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh - for me that could be a bad sign ... I tell you why: I often heard very bad storys from Mercedes-G-Driver, because they had big RUST PROBLEMS at the sloping firewall down from the windscreen - an you can imagine what this means. You can invest LOTS OF MONEY to rrescue your car from this problem! (I thought that the Mercedes G would be a rust-safe car, because of the price, and because it is a Mercedes - but that is a fail...) ;)
That's what I meant in a post about declining quality at Mercedes. That's why I sold my last one about 20 years ago and didn't really want another one. Especially since I don't identify with this brand at all. But I will probably jump over my shadow and get involved with them again.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video - that was a bit nostalgic, and resulted in a long-winded post!
You're welcome! As soon as I saw you two guys talking about the Netherlands and Nederland, I remembered the Itchy Boots vid of her passing through there... and she is from the Netherlands!

Back
Top Bottom