The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Comparaison Grenadier / Mercedes Classe G

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score
Oh - for me that could be a bad sign ... I tell you why: I often heard very bad storys from Mercedes-G-Driver, because they had big RUST PROBLEMS at the sloping firewall down from the windscreen - an you can imagine what this means. You can invest LOTS OF MONEY to rrescue your car from this problem! (I thought that the Mercedes G would be a rust-safe car, because of the price, and because it is a Mercedes - but that is a fail...) ;)
True, however I think this is more a problem of the rubber window seal which sits proud of the screen and traps water, not the shape of the firewall. The Grenadier has a modern glue-fixed windscreen with no perimeter seal so I would hope it sheds water better.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
True, however I think this is more a problem of the rubber window seal which sits proud of the screen and traps water, not the shape of the firewall. The Grenadier has a modern glue-fixed windscreen with no perimeter seal so I would hope it sheds water better.
Exactly correct Solmanic.

I had to replace the windshield on a 1983 MB 230GE when I bought it and found a lot of rust on the left hand side panel directly below the windshield. It had to be cut out, new piece welded in and painted etc. spent a few thousand$$.

The rust formed because the seal protruded from the glass, water pooled on top of the seal and seeped underneath on seals that got old.

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Last night my wife and I were out at https://www.mrhizolas.com.au/ at Burleigh Heads and three MB G63 AMG wagons pulled up. 4 young guys with muscles, lots of tattoos and hats on backwards hopped out of each vehicle.
looked a bit middle of eastern heritage
They came in to the restaurant, sat down, enjoyed their meal, tipped the staff (not common in Australia) paid the bill and left.
probably doctors as the cars are $250K - $500K each

Maybe spin doctors to the dark side of the world..:) The G63 is the preferred vehicle for gangsters and rappers, apparently..

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Maybe spin doctors to the dark side of the world..:) The G63 is the preferred vehicle for gangsters and rappers, apparently..
And movie baddies. Especially Russian ones.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How many cars were crashed by Rowan Atkinson already ?

At least he is more an on road than an off road guy. - Unlikely..

Thursday evening I noticed an older, but well maintained Mercedes G on a supermarket car park in a town nearby next to a LR Defender 110.. lowered! But Bull bar, - protected lighting, but street tyres and racing recaros inside.. and side pipe. (real bull bars are forbidden on road since a while already in Germany) So this MB Mus
The LR was classic.. what a difference.. the G Wagon seemed tiny..
Rowan Atkinson is a huge Land Rover fan and even works on them himself I think

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
IG definitely looks like a D110 and a G-Wagen had a love child.
Having had 2 G's now, I appreciate how the interior width of the IG looks to be wider than the G. Also, the IG is even boxier than the G, which makes for better interior accoutrements.
All in all, the IG appears to be a fresh revision of the antiquated D110(original, not the new fluffy) and the mall crawler G-Wagen's we have in the USA. My $0.02.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
IG definitely looks like a D110 and a G-Wagen had a love child.
Having had 2 G's now, I appreciate how the interior width of the IG looks to be wider than the G. Also, the IG is even boxier than the G, which makes for better interior accoutrements.
All in all, the IG appears to be a fresh revision of the antiquated D110(original, not the new fluffy) and the mall crawler G-Wagen's we have in the USA. My $0.02.
Was it actually a D110 & a G wagen or was it just a Jeep & a Landcruiser that identified as a D110 & a G wagen?

Local time
Reaction score
Was it actually a D110 & a G wagen or was it just a Jeep & a Landcruiser that identified as a D110 & a G wagen?

A Wrangler and a Cruiser can "pretend" to be a D110 and a G all day long....
Haha, I jest. Lots of respect for the JK/JL/JT and 70/80/100/105/200.
The IG has elements of all of these, which is beautiful! Now let's just hope it has the Cruiser reliability, eh?

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
I agree with you 110% (there are always tolerances).
I really like the old G models. The clientele today would have driven a silver or black 500 SEC in the past. In my eyes, the Mercedes brand has not been premium for a long time. Just like all the other companies in Swabia "In the land".
I look forward to being approached about the Grenadier. And that's what people will do. With the G, that's unlikely to happen.
If I am not mistaken, MB still sells the professional version of the G-wagen in Europe. A 3.5liter diesel engine with no pimp extras, cloth seats, functional console, 3 dif. lockers, no carpet in the cargo area...

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Once you drive a 4x4 with the superior portal hubs, it tends to spoil your expectations on the rest, its definitely not what it looks like.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, MB still sells the professional version of the G-wagen in Europe. A 3.5liter diesel engine with no pimp extras, cloth seats, functional console, 3 dif. lockers, no carpet in the cargo area...
And no radio, and no sound deadening… the list of what’s NOT in a G-Professional goes on and on. Another reason I chose the Grenadier.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You're welcome! As soon as I saw you two guys talking about the Netherlands and Nederland, I remembered the Itchy Boots vid of her passing through there... and she is from the Netherlands!
Caught a few of her videos as she traveled through Mexico. Yeah, she's badass.

My wife rides her own bike, too. She's badass also.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
A snippet of news regarding the G class:

"GRAZ, Austria, April 20, 2023 – The Mercedes G-Class is one of the most iconic luxury SUVs globally and has been built by Magna since 1979. The legendary off-road vehicle entered its 44th year of production in Graz, Austria and has reached the historic mark of 500,000 produced vehicles."

Screenshot_20230420_184849.jpg

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In fact I do not know if the professional version can still be purchased. The version Wolf .. the military version occupies a lot of production capacity and there is a huge wait time anyway afaik they re not accepting orders currently

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Differences between the Grenadier and the G:

The predecessor of the latest G has rigid axles which produce resistance against articulation. They use trailing arms for the front and rear axle which are mounted at three points, one at the chassis and two at the axle, as you can see here:

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1604.jpg

They "do not like" to entangle. That is good for road performance as this is self stabilizing. Just take a G onto a lifting plattform and put a transmission jack under one of the rear wheels and pump it up. You can see that after a few centimeters of lifting the other side follows. Same at the front axle. The Defender has the same principle, but only at the front axle. The G compensates the lack of articulation with its diff locks. You can see here, why it doesn't articulate well:

Laengslenker.jpg

The Grenadier uses Four-Link-Axles in the front and rear. It is quite common at rear axles and the latest G-Model uses Four-Link-Axles in the back, as well. It is not common for front axles. The only other car I know which has (very short) Four-Links at the front axle is the Jeep Wrangler, which is the reference in offroad driving today.

threema-20190129-090018-1b3eccb86e41de09.jpg

That leads to very easy articulation. It is easy for the axle to articulate and follow the terrain (however, diff locks are always the better choice as a you also need ground pressure when the axle is articulated to get grip. But often the axles entagle but they lack this ground pressure). Easy articulation with no opposite force leads to poorer road performance than the other concepts, what makes a stabilizer necessary. If you can lock and unlock the stabilizer you have a good compromise.

However, one of the best axle systems is that of the Discovery 2. It is a Watt-System without a Panhard bar. It keeps the axle in the middle which is important for towing and fast driving on bad tracks. It articulates very well and holds the axle precisely in the middle.

IMG_1618.jpg

But you can't use such a system in the front as it is necessary that the axle can move sideways (caused by the Panhard bar). Otherwise your steering wheel would turn heavily each time the axle dives in or dives out. The Panhard bar at the rear axle is also a common (small) drawback for towing and (a bigger) drawback for fast driving on bad tracks. The rear axle is important for driving stability. If the car dives in and out at the rear (also caused by a trailer) its rear moves sideways. That could lead to a trailer pushing the rear of the car sideways on bad tracktion roads (wet tarmac or wet leaves on the road for example).

Panhard_Radius.png

Cheers
AWo

Last edited:
Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
Differences between the Grenadier and the G:

The predecessor of the latest G has rigid axles which produce resistance against articulation. They use trailing arms for the front and rear axle which are mounted at three points, one at the chassis and two at the axle, as you can see here:

View attachment 7809070

View attachment 7809071

They "do not like" to entangle. That is good for road performance as this is self stabilizing. Just take a G onto a lifting plattform and put a transmission jack under one of the rear wheels and pump it up. You can see that after a few centimeters of lifting the other side follows. Same at the front axle. The Defender has the same principle, but only at the front axle. The G compensates the lack of entanglement with its diff locks. You can see here, why it doesn't entagle well:

View attachment 7809073

The Grenadier uses Four-Link-Axles in the front and rear. It is quite common at rear axles and the latest G-Model uses Four-Link-Axles in the back, as well. It is not common for front axles. The only other car I know which has (very short) Four-Links at the front axle is the Jeep Wrangler, which is the reference in offroad driving today.

View attachment 7809075

That leads to very easy entanglement. It is easy for the axle to entangle and follow the terrain (however, diff locks are always the better choice as a you also need ground pressure when the axle ist entangled to get grip. But often the axles entagle but they lack this ground pressure). Easy entanglement with no opposite force leads to poorer road performance than the other concepts, what makes a stabilizer necessary. If you can lock and unlock the stabilizer you have a good compromise.

However, one of the best axle systems is that of the Discovery 2. It is a Watt-System without a Panhard bar. It keeps the axle in the middle which is important for towing and fast driving on bad tracks. It entangles very well and holds the axle precisely in the middle.

View attachment 7809072

But you can't use such a system in the front as it is necessary that the axle can move sideways (caused by the Panhard bar). Otherwise your steering wheel would turn heavily each time the axle dives in or dives out. The Panhard bar at the rear axle is also a common (small) drawback for towing and (a bigger) drawback for fast driving on bad tracks. The rear axle is important for driving stability. If the car dives in and out at the rear (also caused by a trailer) its rear moves sideways. That could lead to a trailer pushing the rear of the car sideways on bad tracktion roads (wet tarmac or wet leaves on the road for example).

View attachment 7809074

Cheers
AWo
Is it not 5 link?

Back
Top Bottom