The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Commercial Vehicle Status

Local time
7:42 PM
Reaction score
The Defender Commercial has been certified as a Commercial Vehicle by HMRC in the U.K. meaning you can put it through a company and claim the tax/VAT back, also Benefit in Kind is only £700.

Despite the payload being under the requirements of one ton.

How come the Grenadier 2 seat "Commercial" version is not certified by HMRC. What's the difference?

lt would be a massive boost for the Grenadier if it had this certification.

Local time
Reaction score
Reason for asking

l was asked the question on another forum and didn't know the answer

Local time
Reaction score
l wonder if the status of the vehicle can be argued individually with the tax man. lf you bought the 2-seat "Commercial" version you may be able to argue the point if challenged.

For instance if you put it through a company and claimed the tax back. You could make the case that it's the same as the Defender 110 Commercial.

l wonder if this is possible. lt may be that it never even gets checked, the tax office are seriously understaffed and have barely started on the suspected fraudulent COVID payouts yet.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I've had this conversation before and the answer is unless it is on the old HMRC schedule, it is at the descretion of the local Tax Inspector. This means that it will depend on the facts of the case; as a pool car there will be no argument.

If there is an element of private use, it will depend on whether the tax inspector is in a good mood or willing to start an argument that will get him some friction from the higher ups. If it is used like a van and no one "usually" takes it home as a perk, I expect the 2 seater station wagon will be fine for BIK/VAT recovery, but there will be no certainty unless HMRC issue a concession.

I gather Ineos Automotive are starting to negociate with HMRC but no one is able to give me chapter and verse.

Back
Top Bottom