The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bull bar

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
That would work, as long as it was welded to the backside of the roo bar. You cannot, in NSW, have sharp edges on the front side of the bar, so it would be illegal to weld it to the front side. Long winded version here. Practical guide here.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is not a lot of room between the top rail and the vehicle. My fishing rod holder certainly won't fit. I am sure there is a plan B but I haven't figured out out yet.
I assume you are referring to these types of rod holders.
On vehicles everywhere in Australia but very much illegal.
Nothing is allowed to protrude above the bonnet line and nothing is allowed in the drivers line of sight.
Not to mention pedestrian safety rules
I guess you would have to be doing other things wrong for a cop to book you on it, or be involved in an accident.
I saw a guy get booked for driving lights on top of the bull bar (not the actual vehicle) and for his antennae's on the bar but he was driving like a dick on the Gold Coast

1678828133114.png1678828183055.png1678828419750.png

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1678832766017.png

This is the type of rod holder I use. I find they are easy to fit and don't obstruct the road view any more than ladder racks. I don't know for sure but i believe that because of the height they are treated as long load and therefore allowed a small forward protrusion. But I wouldn't bet my house on it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7806118

This is the type of rod holder I use. I find they are easy to fit and don't obstruct the road view any more than ladder racks. I don't know for sure but i believe that because of the height they are treated as long load and therefore allowed a small forward protrusion. But I wouldn't bet my house on it.
You have to remove them when not holding rods, which looks like that one does easily.
Blocking drivers view is a simply a clear view to the ground 11 Metres in front of the vehicle for the driver
I think a cop would be hard to find fault with that one.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking further at pictures and videos I am confident the brackets and foldable aerial mounts can be fitted to the Roo Bar, they just need to be placed on the outer side of the roo bar supports (either left or right side).

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Looking further at pictures and videos I am confident the brackets and foldable aerial mounts can be fitted to the Roo Bar, they just need to be placed on the outer side of the roo bar supports (either left or right side).
There are no problems - only solutions!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to these types of rod holders.
On vehicles everywhere in Australia but very much illegal.
Nothing is allowed to protrude above the bonnet line and nothing is allowed in the drivers line of sight.
Not to mention pedestrian safety rules
I guess you would have to be doing other things wrong for a cop to book you on it, or be involved in an accident.
I saw a guy get booked for driving lights on top of the bull bar (not the actual vehicle) and for his antennae's on the bar but he was driving like a dick on the Gold Coast

View attachment 7806108View attachment 7806109View attachment 7806110
100% illegal and you will be fined. Please also note, that any modification (bolt on tabs, brackets etc) to a certified bull bar is ALSO illegal and very dangerous tp pedestrians.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Indeed.. remember: air is a fluid, thus a glass "half full", is actually full! An apparently "empty" glass is, in reality "full" !! 😉
Haha - If you are going to break the law - do it properly!!!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Shock/horror option... could always cut a hole and mount the antenna base in a suitable position on the flat surface of the front passenger-side mudguard/wing... it's out of the driver's direct line of sight, presents no hazard to pedestrians....:unsure:
I have a 2.1dba magnetic base GME antenna ..it's about 150mm tall which is more than adequate for communicating with trucks +/- 3-4 Km. I place it on the roof and run the narrow coax cable between the double dust seal on the rear doors of the Santa Fe. It withstood the rigours of a Rangie P38 trip on the corrugations of the Cape York Peninsular Development Rd years ago... I'll probably use it in the same manner on the Grenadier... my larger (GME 6.2 dba) aerial however is a separate challenge...

Last edited:

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Shock/horror option... could always cut a hole and mount the antenna base in a suitable position on the flat surface of the front passenger-side mudguard/wing... it's out of the driver's direct line of sight, presents no hazard to pedestrians....:unsure:
I like your thinking!

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would the roof tie down rails be a mounting option?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a 2.1dba magnetic base GME antenna ..it's about 150mm tall which is more than adequate for communicating with trucks +/- 3-4 Km. I place it on the roof and run the narrow coax cable between the double dust seal on the rear doors of the Santa Fe. It withstood the rigours of a Rangie P38 trip on the corrugations of the Cape York Peninsular Development Rd years ago... I'll probably use it in the same manner on the Grenadier... my larger (GME 6.2 dba) aerial however is a separate challenge...
I had noticed that the military typically reinforce the front wing when mounting in that location, albeit they are mounting much larger whip antennae.
I wonder if there’d be any issue with a regular GME radome antenna, or would it cause deflection etc flapping around on that flat surface?

1679287135386.jpeg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom