The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery %

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Within the ‘Off-road’ menu, you can check the state of the battery including percentage charged. Does this the percentage reflect the main engine battery, the leisure battery or across both?
I seem to be losing approx 10% of charge over a week of not driving if the system is to be believed.

Reactions: PBD

AWo

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
If it possible to disconnect the second battery by a switch or such, you could check that. Disconnect and check if driving changes the load status.

AWo

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Went for a 40 minute drive this evening and the battery is charging but seems to be at a rate of 5-8 amps according to the battery screen which appears to be only a fraction of the increments on the charging rate dial.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
Is there a battery isolator switch which could be used when parked to prevent battery drain, or is that an extension to the BMS?

Clunster

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Within the ‘Off-road’ menu, you can check the state of the battery including percentage charged. Does this the percentage reflect the main engine battery, the leisure battery or across both?
I seem to be losing approx 10% of charge over a week of not driving if the system is to be believed.
Yes, me too about 10% a week. The other day I forgot to slam a rear door properly shut and the next day I noticed a battery warning light and after this the dashboard started throwing up error messages like airbags, transmission etc. I checked and the battery was down to 39% and 12.1V. After charging on my CTEK it still only reads 69% but at 12.9v. Not had chance to check if the error messages have gone away.

Local time
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, me too about 10% a week. The other day I forgot to slam a rear door properly shut and the next day I noticed a battery warning light and after this the dashboard started throwing up error messages like airbags, transmission etc. I checked and the battery was down to 39% and 12.1V. After charging on my CTEK it still only reads 69% but at 12.9v. Not had chance to check if the error messages have gone away.
Did your CTEK charger get your battery upto a full float/maintenance charge ?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Two of these (one for each battery) or just one - depends on you..

I have one on my Hilux, they are very good (IMHO)
While I run a similar (Victron) unit on my better half's Tacoma, the fact that the app on the Streetwize unit states "SoC" really bothers me. Since all it is doing is monitoring battery voltage, it cannot accurately measure state of charge.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is just the main engine battery; but the auxiliary battery will pulse charge the main via the Smartpass.
Went for a 40 minute drive this evening and the battery is charging but seems to be at a rate of 5-8 amps according to the battery screen which appears to be only a fraction of the increments on the charging rate dial.
But what is the percentage figure?

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is just the main engine battery; but the auxiliary battery will pulse charge the main via the Smartpass.

But what is the percentage figure?
Currently 71%. Was 85% on collection 4 weeks ago, got up to 91% after several long trips but with only a few short trips over last 2 weeks, percentage fell to 69%.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Is there some kind of manual, description how these parts and which parts play together?

Is it a B2B loader, an electronic switch, or whatever?

There must also be some interface to the display.

AWo

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Currently 71%. Was 85% on collection 4 weeks ago, got up to 91% after several long trips but with only a few short trips over last 2 weeks, percentage fell to 69%.
Surprised it only got to 91% after several long trips. Mines seen 96% from an 85% start on a single long journey. Although, I wonder if it could just be a calibration thing?

Your peak amp charging figures are also much lower than mine, but not sure if there's any inference to draw from that. You could try leaving the Offroad electrical screen on and let it stop/start a few times to see what the screen says. When I've done this I've seen a screen reading of 340 or 380 amps (now I can't quite remember) momentarily, before dropping down to double digit figures.

Do you have a CTEK charger? It may help to plug one in and leave for a few days to top both batteries up.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Usually you load with some kind of constant current (I) up to 80%. The current should be somewhat about 1/10 of the capacity. When 80% are reached it is switched to constand voltage (U) and the battery determines its load current on its own, however it decreases slowly. Most advanced battery loaders use on of these IU or IUoU or IUoUp loading curves.

Getting a battery to 100% takes time. With older cars and without temperature controlled loading it is almost not possible to get a battery full. There is a voltage level where the battery starts to produce to much hydrogen, what should not happen. As the voltage when the battery produces too much hydrogen is lower in summer than in winter, the battery loader from the generator is set to stay under this voltage limit for summer times. The drawback is. that this also applies in winter where the battery needs a higher voltage to get loaded. In winter thereby you'll almost never have a chance to get the battery full.

If you have a temperatrure controlled loading, the loader always can go to the maximum voltage for loading while always staying under the voltage where hydrogen production starts. That is the far better method. You can check if the loading is temperature controlled. There must be some kind of sensors attached to the battery.

Seeing a low current in the last phase of loading is quite normal.

AWo

Last edited:

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Please don't flame me :unsure:. I have been driving for 40+years and never worried about the charge level of a battery, the vehicle would either start or not. If the alternator light can on then i would worry.
Most of the vehicles i drove had mechanical diesel pumps so would start wit a push.
This is my first new car in 15 years, so is the battery charge level really that important ??

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Please don't flame me :unsure:. I have been driving for 40+years and never worried about the charge level of a battery, the vehicle would either start or not. If the alternator light can on then i would worry.
Most of the vehicles i drove had mechanical diesel pumps so would start wit a push.
This is my first new car in 15 years, so is the battery charge level really that important ??
That’s a fair point. I’ve certainly never known what level a battery was charged to on any previous vehicle. Just did maintenance charges monthly with a good smart charger such as CTEK or VICTRON.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I'd say it's only the starter battery being monitored as it needs to apply to vehicles without the aux battery. To get a percentage readout there must be some basic shunt on the starter somewhere to measure amps in & out but I doubt it'd be accurate.
Parasitic loads will drain the starter overtime. Wise to throw a charger on the under bonnet terminals every month or so if no long drives.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the importance of battery charge levels in modern vehicles is definitely a thing.

Modern cars are so sensor driven and voltage sensitive, so it's about trying to understand how things work and then doing what needs doing to maintain them in good/optimum condition.

Having a type of vehicle that may not be a true daily drive is also a compounding factor.

The alternative strategy is just drive it till it breaks and fix on fail. Maybe replacing batteries every few years is an option, either for convenience or cost; but in an enthusiasts forum the former strategy is always going to be more prominent.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd say it's only the starter battery being monitored as it needs to apply to vehicles without the aux battery.
It looks that way.

To get a percentage readout there must be some basic shunt on the starter somewhere to measure amps in & out but I doubt it'd be accurate.
I'd like to know this ~ I'll take some photos and maybe someone will recognise the unit?

Parasitic loads will drain the starter overtime.
Calling @emax and his thread:

Wise to throw a charger on the under bonnet terminals every month or so if no long drives.
Or leave it permanently plugged into something like a CTEK whilst parked.

Back
Top Bottom