The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Auxiliary USB charging point in auxiliary footwell power point

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
After installing a 12V Deutsch DT socket (from Australia!) in the boot a few weeks ago, I was able to complete the installation of 2 more sockets in the right front footwell today. However, I didn't use the right outer trim like @Jean Mercier , but went into the centre tunnel trim.
One socket takes the standard 12V plug, the other 2 different USB plugs.
If you want to do this too, please note that the installation space is very limited. Have a look at the pictures. But the sockets just about fit in these places.
I installed Deutsch connectors under the glove compartment and under the right side panel, so that I can disconnect the cable if necessary and also operate another device with a Deutsch DT plug in the right front footwell.

In this context, I would like to point out a possible connection from the footwell through the bulkhead into the engine compartment. For example, a cable of a radio antenna could be pulled through.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 333

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
That's well done. When re manufacturers going to install USB plug on top of the dash? Does that make too much sense? Although, I'd take any extra USB in the Gren.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
After installing a 12V Deutsch DT socket (from Australia!) in the boot a few weeks ago, I was able to complete the installation of 2 more sockets in the right front footwell today. However, I didn't use the right outer trim like @Jean Mercier , but went into the centre tunnel trim.
If you want to do this too, please note that the installation space is very limited. Have a look at the pictures. But the sockets just about fit in these places.
I installed Deutsch connectors under the glove compartment and under the right side panel, so that I can disconnect the cable if necessary and also operate another device with a Deutsch DT plug in the right front footwell.

In this context, I would like to point out a possible connection from the footwell through the bulkhead into the engine compartment. For example, a cable of a radio antenna could be pulled through.
Excellent thank you, particularly the grommet location thats gold.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Great pics and thanks again for that. I'll consider bringing the usb-data out of the centre box and into this location on the passenger side RHD for my purpose - unless I can fit an outlet in the centre stack somewhere (but it's looking less likely this stage).. so navigator has easy access.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to have my son 3D print a surround to go here, and mount this. In it. Will replace the on off swich with the rj45 socket for my UHF handset.
IMG_4153.jpegIMG_4352.jpeg

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The recessed sockets look neat there on the side of the tunnel. I'm thinking of hiding some surface mounted USB sockets (see photo) up under the dash, similar to where you have the Deutsch plug. Advantage of the surface mount is more flexible on location and less likely to be knocked, and the USB cables aren't as stressed - avoids right angled cables. The cables can be clipped down near the socket to secure. Cables will run up to devices on the dash and hopefully hidden either side of the centre stack or under the trims near the doors. When a dashmat comes along it'll cover them on the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_132353.jpg
    IMG_20230713_132353.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 308

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to have my son 3D print a surround to go here, and mount this. In it. Will replace the on off swich with the rj45 socket for my UHF handset.
View attachment 7819821View attachment 7819820
1689223445727.png
do we know if there's anything under this area that would prohibit the fitting of the the sockets to this panel? and then how to get behind there? (Jean's pic from memory...)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7819827
do we know if there's anything under this area that would prohibit the fitting of the the sockets to this panel? and then how to get behind there? (Jean's pic from memory...)
Well, I correct my previous messages: the picture was mine, the car was mine, but the meter was from my youngest son: I took the picture while visiting him there :)

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to put double outlets in these 4 locations
Two outlets down near the bottom of the central stack for charging phones
One up on the left of the dash (RHD) for powering a dash cam
One up on the right of the dash to power a HUD phone or other screen.
USB outlets are meant to be 1.5A max so there is plenty of capacity to have several outlets coming off each of those 10A circuits.
I have two iPhones with me when working so would like to charge both at same time.

View attachment 7814826
Dave, I found this at Jaycar which would be perfect for that location if there is space behind.

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpeg
    IMG_5044.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 287

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
I then connected the wires to the USB charging point mounted in the plastic pillar
View attachment 7814820View attachment 7814821
I did push the pillar back in its place and tested the power point, and ready. To test it, you have to switch on the roof power button AND the INT2 button.

View attachment 7814822

That’s how it looks when not in use! In my opinion, quite neat. Thanks for the applause 😉 and if you don’t like it, please tell me why 😊

View attachment 7814823
But its upside down :)

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to put double outlets in these 4 locations
Two outlets down near the bottom of the central stack for charging phones
One up on the left of the dash (RHD) for powering a dash cam
One up on the right of the dash to power a HUD phone or other screen.
USB outlets are meant to be 1.5A max so there is plenty of capacity to have several outlets coming off each of those 10A circuits.
I have two iPhones with me when working so would like to charge both at same time.

View attachment 7814826
I could be wrong, but I don’t know of anyone who has been in behind the lower dash and I was told by the dealer that they will not put the likes of the Redarc Tow Pro remote control there because what’s behind it.
I got two of these https://bluebarindustries.com.au/product/blue-bar-panel-mount-usb-c-qc-usb-charger/ from DC Voltage at Caboolture and mounted them on each side and I use a right angled lead to keep it out of the way. I connected them to the footwell power feed on either side. They are surface mount so only need a small hole to feed wires through and the self tappers to hold them in place.
It also has the advantage that even with the vehicle shutdown and locked up, if you have the overhead Power switch on, the the Int 1 and/or Int 2 can be switched on to continue to provide power.
I‘m not sure about dashtop, particularly on passenger air bag side??? Would be ideal to have some there - if anyone has done it please share.

Attachments

• IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_6145.jpeg
    IMG_6145.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 175

GavinD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the install I did for my GME 2way and a footwell USB outlet. This was only spot where there was enough depth to install.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 188

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don’t know of anyone who has been in behind the lower dash and I was told by the dealer that they will not put the likes of the Redarc Tow Pro remote control there because what’s behind it.
I got two of these https://bluebarindustries.com.au/product/blue-bar-panel-mount-usb-c-qc-usb-charger/ from DC Voltage at Caboolture and mounted them on each side and I use a right angled lead to keep it out of the way. I connected them to the footwell power feed on either side. They are surface mount so only need a small hole to feed wires through and the self tappers to hold them in place.
It also has the advantage that even with the vehicle shutdown and locked up, if you have the overhead Power switch on, the the Int 1 and/or Int 2 can be switched on to continue to provide power.
I‘m not sure about dashtop, particularly on passenger air bag side??? Would be ideal to have some there - if anyone has done it please share.
@Bobby Mac : the dash in front of the passenger has to be left clear of anything which will become a projectile if the airbag deploys. I'm not sure how/ where the dash "separates" to free the airbag ..... presumably it is "sandwiched" between the top of the dash which comes away, and the grab handle below. Hope I never have to find out!!

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
@Bobby Mac : the dash in front of the passenger has to be left clear of anything which will become a projectile if the airbag deploys. I'm not sure how/ where the dash "separates" to free the airbag ..... presumably it is "sandwiched" between the top of the dash which comes away, and the grab handle below. Hope I never have to find out!!
Interesting question! Many will place their sat nav, radio, smartphone or similar in the area.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting question! Many will place their sat nav, radio, smartphone or similar in the area.
Re. my previous comments, it's one of the reasons why the highway patrol in Australia cracks down on passengers lounging back with their feet up on the dashboard against the windscreen. There have been cases of folks having their teeth buried in their knees and worse when the aibag has exploded while their feet were up on the dashboard :eek:

Back
Top Bottom