The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone fitting an UltraHook to their winch?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
I have sent an email to Red Winch asking if the Groove Fairlead will fit the INEOS version of the Red Winch - and which one.
Is it not dictated by the bumper/winch cradle rather than the winch itself?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No idea, but they should know, as they worked with INEOS.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No idea, but they should know, as they worked with INEOS.

Hmm... prototypes appear to be fitted with the fairlead made for the Cobra 2 winch.
Haven't found the dimensions online as yet, and production variant may differ(?).

cobra2-explorer-2-fairlead

DSC04450.jpg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it is based on the Cobra 2 this is what the measurements are (from Cobra 2 Manual). We also know the winch fitted to the IG has been customised in some way:

Cobra2 diagram.png

254mm is ten inches for the Fairlead bolts. So the Groove Fairlead is still a possibility. Looking at that diagram, it is more likely to be the offset Groove Fairlead if it otherwise fits. I do note the Groove Fairlead is thicker than the Red Winch one.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
I don't (yet) trust my skills of recovery and the specs of the manufacturers.

And other cars never anyway.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Short story, the Groove Fairlead will not fit on the IG.

The long story is (my thanks to Neil from Red Winch for responding to my query):

The fairlead you have linked will not work with the winch on the Grenadier. The hole spacing on the fairlead is too wide at 10”, the Grenadier winch is not a “standard” width due to space constraints with the vehicle integration.

The offset of the mounting holes to the rope guide is also critical and though I see the website you have linked offers an offset guide it does not give details as to how much offset it offers.

I also need to point out that the Grenadier rope has a stop label 250mm from the end. The last 250mm of rope must not be wound onto the drum as this can cause overloading of rope on the drum.

So I learnt three new things from that, including the caution we need to take about the rope stop label.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
last 250mm not to be wound on drum??

must be a reason why the rope is not 250mm shorter so it can be snugged down with a stopper....?

thanks for investigating with Red on the above

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My three takeaways (besides the Groove Fairlead will not fit).

Non-standard winch size fitted to IG
First, the non-standard size of the IG winch. If you intend to buy an aftermarket winch, you will need to wait for these to be developed or buy it with the vehicle (now I am glad I did).

Offsets are important if you wish to fit an aftermarket Fairlead
Second, offsets are important.

Comply with the stop label
Last, do NOT wind too much rope onto the winch, comply with the stop label.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Ingemar (Hard Way Home) tells in one of his videos that the rope is 18 m, which would be 3 m more than I remember. So maybe they squeezed everything they could on the drum. Maybe without the 25 cm it would be less than 18 m ... which they don't perhaps want.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My three takeaways (besides the Groove Fairlead will not fit).

Non-standard winch size fitted to IG
First, the non-standard size of the IG winch. If you intend to buy an aftermarket winch, you will need to wait for these to be developed or buy it with the vehicle (now I am glad I did).

Offsets are important if you wish to fit an aftermarket Fairlead
Second, offsets are important.

Comply with the stop label
Last, do NOT wind too much rope onto the winch, comply with the stop label.
@TheDocAUS do you have any detail as to what a "non-standard" size is in regard to a winch? I remember reading early on that Red Winch had developed a winch especially for the Grenadier but paid it no heed because of the published philosophy espoused by IA to accommodate the after market as much as possible. This is not going to please the rusted on Warn users in the US market!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS do you have any detail as to what a "non-standard" size is in regard to a winch? I remember reading early on that Red Winch had developed a winch especially for the Grenadier but paid it no heed because of the published philosophy espoused by IA to accommodate the after market as much as possible. This is not going to please the rusted on Warn users in the US market!
I posted all the relevant information Red Winch provided, I only left off the first and last sentence, which had no technical information.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If they want a Warn, Warn will need to make a custom winch to fit the IG.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They’ll just require an aftermarket bar/winch cradle, and/or accept the winch protruding outside/above the standard bar.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View: https://youtu.be/2m-qcEPnXaQ

The most probable reason why you cannot use the last 250mm . This is the best and most used way to attach the rope on the drum ( when talking about synthetic )
I saw Mad Matt give a review of one of these. Still curious why the last 250mm is not retractable though. Wouldn't you trim it down either end? Does the plasma lock hinder this?

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Essentially the short webbing locks the last 4-5 runs of dyneema on the drum . So even if you wanted to unwind more you would end up rewinding the rope the other way . If that makes sense :)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Essentially the short webbing locks the last 4-5 runs of dyneema on the drum . So even if you wanted to unwind more you would end up rewinding the rope the other way . If that makes sense :)
Ah yes I see how that would turn a unwinding to a rewinding at the lock but am I having a senior moment or something, because I still don't see why the winch rope is left with 250mm tail at the front unless the drum has reached full capacity and IA or Red reckon 18m sounds better than 1775cms. Maybe I'm over thinking this....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom