The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone fitting an UltraHook to their winch?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone intend to fit an UltraHook to their winch? Happy to hear from users of the hook on other vehicles.

View: https://youtu.be/wADHOWvK6mY

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will definitely put something on it, waiting to see how much room between the fairlead and the number plate (Aus spec) to see what will fit. The ultrahook seems quite heavy and very expensive. As I will probably use exclusively soft shackles if it fits I may do something like these.

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpeg
    IMG_3916.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 43

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cost is an issue, I did see one recently with a decent discount but I did not buy it. If I do I would also buy the rope protector, making it even more expensive.

Keep on posting other options.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone intend to fit an UltraHook to their winch? Happy to hear from users of the hook on other vehicles.

View: https://youtu.be/wADHOWvK6mY

I considered an Ultrahook, but for the $ I personally don't see the point in them. The winch won't come close to the breaking strain of one and soft shackles would do most of what it can do. To me it's just another bit of shiny gear to show off on your YT channel.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I considered an Ultrahook, but for the $ I personally don't see the point in them. The winch won't come close to the breaking strain of one and soft shackles would do most of what it can do. To me it's just another bit of shiny gear to show off on your YT channel.
I’ve gone for a no-kinetic-iron-components setup with a Saber Offroad winch shackle and soft shackles throughout. You can find a price on these if you shop around.

Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
A short piece of HD broom stick and a bit of insulation tape to stop it pulling through the fairlead, and soft shackles, you could buy several soft shackles for the price of one of those things and soft shackles are actually useful.
Plus less things to fly through the air and kill you if something breaks.
In my experience winch blankets don't work, but that is opening another can of worms.

Last edited:
Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
A short piece of HD broom stick and a bit of insulation tape to stop it pulling through the fairleed, and soft shackles, you could buy several soft shackles for the price of one of those things and soft shackles are actually useful.
Plus less things to fly through the air and kill you if something breaks.
In my experience winch blankets don't work, but that is opening another can of worms.
Winch blankets are good for one thing, and one thing only...as a visual indicator to anyone around to NOT wander into the area. That anyone thinks something so light is going to dampen the INCREDIBLE force put into a rope or cable is simply laughable.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Winch blankets are good for one thing, and one thing only...as a visual indicator to anyone around to NOT wander into the area. That anyone thinks something so light is going to dampen the INCREDIBLE force put into a rope or cable is simply laughable.
But there is a reason some have pockets, for sand/soil to add weight, but in general agreeance with your thoughts

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My winch blanket has pockets so you can store shackles etc neatly in the one place. Which is smart engineering.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yankum Fairlead

Yankum.jpg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yankum Fairlead

View attachment 7809083
I like the idea of these, will be interesting to see if there is room and the bolt spacing make it a straight bolt on swap for us. Ideally I would like zero metal in my winch line configuration

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the idea of these, will be interesting to see if there is room and the bolt spacing make it a straight bolt on swap for us
Yep, will it fit within the Aus spec bumper is the question! I'm hoping it does.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Keep the ideas coming, I do like that Groove Fairlead [Hawse Style].

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yankum Fairlead

View attachment 7809083
Interesting idea, the good thing is the rope is out of the sunlight behind the number plate. Here is an interesting YT video on fairleads
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHXiJ5_IbI

Some good points made

Back
Top Bottom