The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Aftermarket Winch Bumper from LeTech

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Thanks @Arkaig I did see that, It really doesn't solve the problem of a double line pull over 10m though. While not all will be so, it makes heavy recovery situations like steep inclines over that length difficult.
I'll say it. The Ineos built in winch is a poor excuse for a winch, but it's the best they could do to have an integrated winch with crash tests and all that. Good on them for giving it a go, but the final result telegraphs it was an afterthought - late in the game - perhaps a request/requirement by the top shelf that the vehicle "had" to have one and this was the best they could do given the existing parameters. Not worth $4,000+.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @Arkaig I did see that, It really doesn't solve the problem of a double line pull over 10m though. While not all will be so, it makes heavy recovery situations like steep inclines over that length difficult.
Double line pull still doable with an extension but you will need to reset after 10m. However the winch load capacity is reduced by about 10% for every wrap on the drum after the first wrap. So a fully loaded grenadier will be at winch capacity after about the 4th wrap, so likelihood is that you would need to reset after about 10m in any case. But if you intend to regularly winch yourself up a mountain then this probably isn’t the winch for you.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, my intention is to replace it with 30m of 10mm dyneema
10mm Dyneema is about usually 9000kg breaking strain, but safe working load limit is usually about 1/3 of breaking strain so thats about 3000kg a fully loaded Grenadier is likely to exceed that in many cases. It’s max GVM is 3350kg.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll say it. The Ineos built in winch is a poor excuse for a winch, but it's the best they could do to have an integrated winch with crash tests and all that. Good on them for giving it a go, but the final result telegraphs it was an afterthought - late in the game - perhaps a request/requirement by the top shelf that the vehicle "had" to have one and this was the best they could do given the existing parameters. Not worth $4,000+.
I guarantee that it is fine for 99% of users with proper knowledge and equipment. The remaining 1% probably do need to go aftermarket.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Extracting a figure out of my.....air, i bet 90%++ of winches on 4WD's are rarely or never used.
The other 10% are used often.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Double line pull still doable with an extension but you will need to reset after 10m. However the winch load capacity is reduced by about 10% for every wrap on the drum after the first wrap. So a fully loaded grenadier will be at winch capacity after about the 4th wrap, so likelihood is that you would need to reset after about 10m in any case. But if you intend to regularly winch yourself up a mountain then this probably isn’t the winch for you.
I don't intend to do it regularly, but it has happened to me twice, and not by choice. What disappoints me the most is that this winch doesn't come up to the same specifications as most aftermarket winches suitable for vehicles of the same weight. There was also no literature available specifying that the maximum usable line would be 10m.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Extracting a figure out of my.....air, i bet 90%++ of winches on 4WD's are rarely or never used.
The other 10% are used often.
You feeling ok Dave. I feel your maths is unusually imprecise here.....?

Local time
Reaction score

Just to clsrify this further, the winch is excellent, one the best made and is of very high quality backed by a resposive and knowledgeable company.
But, having less than 12M of usable rope makes the winch very restrictive (IMO).

It will be fine to pull the vehicle out of situations where the wheels have lost traction.
Pulling it in a straight line (all ahead captain) and there is an anchor point (capable of bearing 4500kg) less than 10M away ....
But, as soon as you need a change of direction or the car is sitting on its axles (up to its oxters) in mud or you need to move more than a few meters you will need an extension to utilise any mechanical advantage gained from pulleys or you will be running in, running out, changing anchor, rigging lines, in short faffing ...

Pulling logs out of a wood, pulling your mate out of a ditch, pulling anything you will need to do in 8M bits .... the winch is very capable over this distance (about the width of your front room) and all the time being really close to the action isn't what 'I' want from a winch or where I (or my car) wants to be when winching.
If space allows, an Explorer2 Adventure winch with the XL drum would be perfect. It would need to sit in front of the car so I could see the 63M of line spooling equally off and on.
Currently I have a Goldfish, Bowmotor 2 winch with 40M of 11mm dyneema and I still need the occasional extension when rigging 2 snatch block to a static anchor which most often is not right next to me or the load.

I've gone off my point a bit, which is, that the Red Winch is a really high quality thing, an excellent winch and an excellent British company with a good grounding in mechanical engineering.
The Ineos application is somewhat pants, there is possibly a lot of constraints that I don't understand.
Health and Safety and other rules written and dictated by people in an office with little to no practical experience, people who feel the need to get thier nails done, use mens skincare products or beard shampoo and tie thier hair up in a bun ..... people who, with all the best intentions, have ruined a really good idea and fitted a winch out of sight with the shortest most impratical winch rope ever ...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'll say it. The Ineos built in winch is a poor excuse for a winch, but it's the best they could do to have an integrated winch with crash tests and all that.
Poor excuse would seem a little strong for me. Definitely hamstrung though.

Good on them for giving it a go, but the final result telegraphs it was an afterthought - late in the game - perhaps a request/requirement by the top shelf that the vehicle "had" to have...
I'm pretty certain it was on the original fag packet/back of an envelope list of requirements and put there by the top bods themselves. The mistake for me was putting it in the front where it then comes up against packaging constraints and pedestrian safety legislation.

A Foers type central winch would have been my number one choice, perhaps even running it down a chassis leg.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pulling logs out of a wood, pulling your mate out of a ditch, pulling anything you will need to do in 8M bits ....
Just remember according to the "Legalities" in the manual:
"WARNING: The Winch installed to your vehicle, both option and/or accessory is a self-recovery Winch only. Do not use the Winch for any other purpose."

Health and Safety and other rules written and dictated by people in an office with little to no practical experience, people who feel the need to get thier nails done, use mens skincare products or beard shampoo and tie thier hair up in a bun ..... people who, with all the best intentions, have ruined a really good idea ...
I'd like to ask Ineos how one is supposed to go about these two requirements?

"WARNING: It is your responsibility to ensure that before any Winch is operated... the
Winch has been correctly installed by a certified technician."

Does it come with a certificate saying this or should Ineos then provide one?

"WARNING: Ensure the Vertical Towing Interface has been correctly installed by a certified technician, before commencing any winching operations. Contact your INEOS approved partner."

I wonder what my agent will say if asked?

Local time
Reaction score
Just remember according to the "Legalities" in the manual:
"WARNING: The Winch installed to your vehicle, both option and/or accessory is a self-recovery Winch only. Do not use the Winch for any other purpose."

I'd like to ask Ineos how one is supposed to go about these two requirements?

"WARNING: It is your responsibility to ensure that before any Winch is operated... the
Winch has been correctly installed by a certified technician."

Does it come with a certificate saying this or should Ineos then provide one?

"WARNING: Ensure the Vertical Towing Interface has been correctly installed by a certified technician, before commencing any winching operations. Contact your INEOS approved partner."

I wonder what my agent will say if asked?

He'd say ... "Ear, wot you arsekin ear, cos im not shure like, ... ruddy daftness" default_roflmao.gif

Local time
Reaction score
Nice ...
I like the winch integration.

Buying a respectably sized winch/drum from RED and the LeTech mounting would be a much better application and wouldn't cost much more than the integrated Idiotic Ineos variant ??

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's the... $5,000 question...

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
For the money involved, I am not overly impressed with the portal construction. I am spoiled by a friends Volvo conversion, but these just seem lightly built.

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 9.10.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 9.12.24 AM.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a MB recall on their portal axled Gs with this system due to cracks.

Back
Top Bottom